Custom - Razor (#10017) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
OK, I'll be the first to admit that there's not much to this one. It's a simple build and the tubes are precolored as is the nosecone. As best I can recall, there is just one simple decal. Even so, I suspect that this is a rather ubiquitous rocket especially among new members of the rocket community. I say that because, except for Estes, this one seemed to be the one rocket that just about all the hobby shops around here have. I can't believe that nobody has dressed one up.

Mine is just stock but kids seem to like it. My TRF thread for it is here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=7458

RAZ-f1a.jpg

RAZ-f1b.jpg

RAZ-f1c.jpg

RAZ-f1d.jpg

RAZ-f1e.jpg

Last edited:
Don't think small, John.

I upscaled my Razor to a BT-60 tube and 24mm motor mount.

As soon as it's painted and decal'd, I will post it.

You might also consider posting your Razor to the Tube Fin gallery.

And you still have the Cyclotron, right?

Don't think small, John.

I upscaled my Razor to a BT-60 tube and 24mm motor mount.

As soon as it's painted and decal'd, I will post it.

You might also consider posting your Razor to the Tube Fin gallery.

And you still have the Cyclotron, right?

I guess I will put it there also.

As for the Cyclotron, it shredded during my L2 attempt. The "if it fits, it flies" maxim, sadly, did not apply.:dark:

Welcome to the Custom - Razor (#10017) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Custom - Razor (#10017) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Custom: Razor: #10017

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Custom Razor (#10017) Basic Information.

custom.gif
Custom Rockets

MODEL NAME: Razor

NUMBER: #10017

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport, Tube Fin
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 12” (30.5 cm)
Diameter: 0.976” (24.8 mm)
Span:
Weight: 1.6 oz (46 g)

Mfg. Description: This unique model uses tubes as fins! With pre-colored parts there is no painting required! Features injection-molded plastic nose cone, and 12” parachute recovery. Includes self-adhesive decals and quick-release engine mount for fast engine change. Flies over 1,000 feet with a C6-7 motor. Also available in bulk. (Custom 2011 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

custom-razor-1994%20cat%20livery.jpg
Custom 1994 Catalog
custom-razor-1998%20cat%20livery.jpg
Custom 1998 Catalog
custom-razor-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
Custom Web Ad

Face Card

custom-razor-facecard.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
I built this Custom Rockets Razor early in my BAR career. It's simple and rugged, and has even survived a couple of rocket-eating trees.

I sprayed a coat of yellow paint over the pre-colored tubes just to give a more finished look. I also sprayed some black lines at the top of the BT since I buggered up the decal. A crepe streamer works great and keeps this one from drifting away.

Custom Razor.jpg

Somehow I still have the first Razor I ever built. Great small field bird.

Attachments

• image-94130160102204864265836546481477666846277632njpg-900-600-051320051703291.jpg
    image-94130160102204864265836546481477666846277632njpg-900-600-051320051703291.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 12
Got a couple of these is a recent purchase of used rockets from a local seller. They had both seen better day but I figured I'd grab this one and do a quick resto. Basically started by yanking out the stock recovery system. In its place went a Kevlar leader with about 4ft of 1/8 elastic cord. From there I removed the crooked launch lug and peeled off the stock decals which opened a can of worms.

As the decals came off they took the top layer of the cardboard tube with them. Custom tubes are notorious for being thin and once the outer layer was gone it was really thin and soft. To correct this I stiffed it back up by cutting notebook paper and wrapping it around the outside of the tube then soaking in thin CA. I've never tried this before but gave it a shot and it worked remarkably well. The areas I fixed are actually stronger than the rest of the tube.

From there it was lots of sanding, priming, sanding, priming until I was happy. I added a new launch lug and filled the joints between the tube fins for a finished look. My quick Resto turned into a week long project. Finally I got it painted with Krylon Pumpkin Orange with a black nose cone. I cut decals from vinyl that are similar to the originals and applied.

Here is the finished product.

Pic 1 - Major resto completed. Pretty smooth at this point. Hit it with 400 grit after this pic and headed to paint.

Pic 2 & 3 - Completed and headed to the completed table waiting for the next launch day. IMG_9343.jpgIMG_9363.jpgIMG_9364.jpg

Tube fin rockets are so cool. Really like this model!

Agreed. Easy to build and good stable fliers. I still have their Serval Kit from when I was a kid. Just haven't had a chance to take pics.

I'll have at least one more resto of the other Razor coming in a few weeks. Just need to decide on what color I'm going with before I start.

I like the older Serval, but the Razor really doesn't interest me.
I think it's because it looks too short...maybe.
I like Custom Kits, especially the older ones.
I wish they would bring back some of the old ones!
BTW...I'm still looking for Matra if anyone has one they would part with...

I like the older Serval, but the Razor really doesn't interest me.
BTW...I'm still looking for Matra if anyone has one they would part with...

Understood. The Razor never really did anything for me either but I recently bought a huge lot of built rockets (70ish total) from a local seller and there were two of them in the lot so I figured why not :)

I don't have a new Matra new in the bag but mine is in the rebuild pile waiting. When I got back in the hobby a couple of years ago I did the basics to get it flying. It needed a new fin and the top of the body tube was dented. I replaced the fin and fixed the body tube. While I was at it, I lengthened the upper tube by about 4 inches to give more room for the chute and it really makes a difference. I gave the new fin and tube a quick shot of red paint but nothing matches so it's time to go back and do it right.

If you like I can send you measurements of everything as it would be an easy clone.

I really like the Razor kit, the yellow tubes are very clean.

I got inspired by a Colonial Viper. No paint can involved, and simply papered the balsa fin. Flies great.

Attachments

• IMG_20201205_132346.jpg
    IMG_20201205_132346.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 26
Back