Quest Future Launch Vehicle build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodmeister

Reaction score
I finished this lovely little kit a few weeks back ,and will tell you,it was a real winner !!The glossy body wraps are very well detailed and make the kit look almost 3D (they must be pre-glued...I used 3M 77 spray....worked very well,no problems)
The only mod I made was to replace the cardstock fins with Basswood and used TTW to mount them,as I could see these snapping off easily due to the low surface area of the fin root and the gluing to the glossy wraps (even sanding would probably not help much ,but hey ,that`s could just be me)
The 3 booster cones for the engines were made stiffer with a coat od 5 min epoxy.
That is why I want the new Minotaur to add to my Launch Vehicle collection.(I`ll have to get the pics of Carl`s DELTA MEDIUM 5+4 kit up...now that`s a killer kit !!!)

Thanks for looking

Paul T

DSCN0171.jpg

DSCN0179.jpg

DSCN0176.jpg

DSCN0173.jpg

Paul,

It looks great. Your assessment of the fins popping off is spot on. I built mine according to plans using 5-min epoxy to attach the cardstock fins. They have popped off at least twice now. Also my cardstock fins seem to have warped a little and now the boost has a noticeable corkscrew.

Kevin

ahhh why wasn't I smart enough to think about ttw fins? I lost a fin while in midair.

Wow ,am I glad I did what i did.Now i have to wait until spring to fly this bugger :(

Paul

Very nice... reminds me of this "concept" rocket someone posted on nasaspaceflight.com/forums awhile back, while brainstorming ideas for increasing performance for Ares V...

Course it's a total non-starter-- 3 SRB designs are WAY too heavy to EVER be capable of being moved on the crawlers/crawlerways at KSC... and the VAB floors, crawlerways, pads, and hardstands could never support all the weight... let alone the vehicle design considerations... (a "Y" beam for the top SRB mounts?? )

Later! OL JR :)

render-1[1].jpg

Very nice... reminds me of this "concept" rocket someone posted on nasaspaceflight.com/forums awhile back, while brainstorming ideas for increasing performance for Ares V...

Course it's a total non-starter-- 3 SRB designs are WAY too heavy to EVER be capable of being moved on the crawlers/crawlerways at KSC... and the VAB floors, crawlerways, pads, and hardstands could never support all the weight... let alone the vehicle design considerations... (a "Y" beam for the top SRB mounts?? )

Later! OL JR :)

Boy.....wouldn`t that be a neat kit to scratch build.I like that ,give me an idea ;)

Paul

Back