Gallery - Tube Finned Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I was uploading pictures of some of my rockets, I decided to revive this gallery thread, too.
My first and so far only tube finned rocket, the Wipeout. It's made entirely out of toilet paper and toilet paper tubes, including the nose cone, centering rings, launch lugs, and motor tube. Nose weight? Glue soaked toilet paper. :p
The shock cord was also made out of strips of TP tubes, but it broke on it's first flight. I still need to repair it, this time I think with a braided TP tube strip shock cord. :wink: It flies great on a C6, but the 5 second delay is a little long. Next flight will be on a C6-3.
Yes, those are adhering bits of TP stuck all over it. :roll:
Enjoy!
Wipeout Full.jpgWipeout MMT.jpg

Thanks. :) The name was actually suggested by my Dad on the way to go launch it, partly because that was his expectation of its performance, being made of TP tubes and all... Needless to say, it stuck.
And I had a big "I told you so" moment when it lifted off. :D
I may have to concede defeat and put a parachute in it, though. It didn't have one on its first flight because I couldn't figure out how to make one out of cardboard tubes. It was so light it just utilized "tumble recovery."
We'll see though, I may weave one out of cardboard strips. :rolleyes:

While I was uploading pictures of some of my rockets, I decided to revive this gallery thread, too.
My first and so far only tube finned rocket, the Wipeout. It's made entirely out of toilet paper and toilet paper tubes, including the nose cone, centering rings, launch lugs, and motor tube. Nose weight? Glue soaked toilet paper. :p
The shock cord was also made out of strips of TP tubes, but it broke on it's first flight. I still need to repair it, this time I think with a braided TP tube strip shock cord. :wink: It flies great on a C6, but the 5 second delay is a little long. Next flight will be on a C6-3.
Yes, those are adhering bits of TP stuck all over it. :roll:
Enjoy!

Love it!

This tuber was one of those things that come to you in a wierd dream and somehow becomes a reality. It has tube-within-tube fins, and the tubes themselves make up a portion of the airframe. It is four inch diameter and fies great on G's. I've dubbed it "Baconator". This link is to it's most recent flight on a G64.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl8Bo5cBQcQ

That's a cool looking rocket... it looks like some kind of experimental warp drive probe or something...

Later! OL JR :)

A few LPR toobers and a ringer:
0131200147.jpg

l to r: Starlight Hyperon ringer, Custom Rockets Razor, Modelrockets.us Turbo, Quest Totally Tubular, Modelrockets Too'boh! and Boost'oh!/Super Toob'oh! two stager.

And for the MPR/HPR gang,
0131200912.jpg

LOC Cyclotron and ASP That Tube!
Nekkid 'till they earn their colors.;)

And an ASP micro That Tube!
0131200915.jpg

My doctor wants me to cut down on the carbs, but I just can't stay away from the toobers!:D

Last edited:
FRW Buffalo Wings and Rings.jpg
This one flew fine at B6-4 Field on an A8-3, but when I upped the power to a C6-3 for the eRockets Field flight, things went squirrelly in a hurry. I managed to keep a camera pointed at it as it did a skywriting exhibition back over the flightline. No animals or vegetables were hurt in the flight, but some minerals were displaced during landing.

This one flew fine at B6-4 Field on an A8-3, but when I upped the power to a C6-3 for the eRockets Field flight, things went squirrelly in a hurry. I managed to keep a camera pointed at it as it did a skywriting exhibition back over the flightline. No animals or vegetables were hurt in the flight, but some minerals were displaced during landing.
Ha, I was just pondering using a tape roll to make a 3-ish inch ring for an upcoming build. Awfully heavy, though; need to see if I can peel some layers to thin it down.

That one is supposed to cork-screw, I presume?

Ah, Bill and Neil's posts reminded me of this one:

1121201259[1].jpg

Odd'l Rockets Corkscrew.
Nekkid and hasn't maidened yet.
Thinking of a barber shop pole pattern.

Where's Waldo
88u1pdF.jpg

Ha, I was just pondering using a tape roll to make a 3-ish inch ring for an upcoming build. Awfully heavy, though; need to see if I can peel some layers to thin it down.

That one is supposed to cork-screw, I presume?
It did on the A8-3. On the C6-3 it might have, but everyone was too busy running for their lives to notice.

Ah, Bill and Neil's posts reminded me of this one:

View attachment 439227

Odd'l Rockets Corkscrew.
Nekkid and hasn't maidened yet.
Thinking of a barber shop pole pattern.
Something I DIDN’t do on mine but wish I had.
Don’t bother filling spirals, Just prime and paint your background colors.

Use colored vinyl electrical tape to create a barber pole pattern over then spirals. You may have to cut it thinner, you can put it on wax paper or glass to due cuts then peel off and stick. Clear coat to keep it “stuck.”

That split fin tube-fin rocket is awesome. I've built a couple tube fin rockets. I ended up building one recently. I needed one motor mount worth of 24mm tube, and was ordering from Apogee, so I ended up with 5 1/2 extra 24mm tubes. Made the below rocket to use up some of the tubes. It's a 12" body tube with 6 1.5" long tube fins. Streamer recovery. Flew great on both an A8-3 and a B6-4. Sims out to 975 feet on a C6-5. I'll have to try that. Had to soak one tube fin with CA and re-paint after the B6-4 flight because it caught asphalt at the very edge of the launch area. I also have a Totally Tubular, which got cut off due to damage. My favorite tube fin rocket, however, is a scratch-built 54mm diameter tube fin rocket, 36" long main tube with 6 3.5" long tube fins. It has a PML Intellicone nose cone. It flies perfect on G77R motors (sims to 1500' but I don't remember actual from the micro altimiter I had onboard), and I want to fly it on a G76G I have. I don't have a picture at the moment. Gotta wait until I can launch again due to fire danger, though.

.GreenTube_B6_4_Launch.jpg

Back