Gallery - Tube Finned Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my downscale of Larry Brand's Flatblack.

18mm minimum diameter. All parts made from typing paper. Designed for schoolkids to build without needing a knife. Streamer recovery. Flies straight as an arrow.

This tuber was one of those things that come to you in a wierd dream and somehow becomes a reality. It has tube-within-tube fins, and the tubes themselves make up a portion of the airframe. It is four inch diameter and fies great on G's. I've dubbed it "Baconator". This link is to it's most recent flight on a G64.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl8Bo5cBQcQ

baconator1.JPG

baconator2.JPG

I've had 2 recently, a 3" upscale Groove Tube and You Gotta be Nuts, a 4" rocket made from Planter's nut cans. Both had 54 mm motor mounts.

Nuts 090905.jpg

'Carry on at your Convenience', made entirely out of toilet roll tubes. Streamer of appropriate material as well.

convenience_mikerobe.jpg

mbrpic2006_0827_173751AA.jpg

P8230457.jpg

This tuber was one of those things that come to you in a wierd dream and somehow becomes a reality. It has tube-within-tube fins, and the tubes themselves make up a portion of the airframe. It is four inch diameter and fies great on G's. I've dubbed it "Baconator". This link is to it's most recent flight on a G64.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl8Bo5cBQcQ

Ohhhhhhh
I likes' dat'

Good work. Dare we ask about the dream?
:eyepop:

Good work. Dare we ask about the dream?

Nothing too out of the ordinary, just rockets and cured pork products...
Less than coincidental was the fact that this idea came right when I started taking the latest and greatest drug to quit smoking. The good news is I quit smoking...
Here's a couple shots of the bottom end.

baconator3.JPG

baconator4.JPG

OK, I'll be the first to admit that there's not much to this one. It's a simple build and the tubes are precolored as is the nosecone. As best I can recall, there is just one simple decal. Even so, I suspect that this is a rather ubiquitous rocket especially among new members of the rocket community. I say that because, except for Estes, this one seemed to be the one rocket that just about all the hobby shops around here have. I can't believe that nobody has dressed one up.

Mine is just stock but kids seem to like it. My TRF thread for it is here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=7458

---------------EDIT
This is just a copied post from the Razor gallery I started.

FWIW, the Centuri Groove Tube was one of my favorites as a kid.

Attachments

• RAZ-f1a.jpg
    RAZ-f1a.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 90
  • RAZ-f1b.jpg
    RAZ-f1b.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 86
  • RAZ-f1c.jpg
    RAZ-f1c.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 83
  • RAZ-f1d.jpg
    RAZ-f1d.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 87
  • RAZ-f1e.jpg
    RAZ-f1e.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Indeed it was a G64. I'm going to fly it on an H next year. I'll have to modify the nosecone to do so, but I have 'till the snow is gone to get that done-for obvious reasons.

Nice flight. Could be a bit if problem in the snow finding that one! :D

I am being slowly inspired to embark on a tubefin build!

:cry::wink:

The snow is definately the problem with this one now, I either have to repaint it or wait five months. I have been kickin around the idea of painting the whole thing like bacon- in shades of red, brown, n' fat. Gettin' hungry now! I strongly recomend you build one, it's a great way to use up random parts. And don't be afraid to think outside the box, you'll be surprised what you find there- I know I always am.

Here's my tube finned rocket -

The PIPELINE
It's one of my Odd'l Rockets kits.

This one is a little different, it has three tubes instead of the standard six.
The tubes are slightly canted to give it a good spin during boost. You can see it spinning in flight.

The first prototype had too much angle on the tubes. It's second flight with a B6-4 spun too fast and shreaded the tubes right off it! My mistake, those first tubes were painted off the model and just surface glued with super glue.

The production model is great now and a favorite flyer. The pictures are from a NEFAR launch with a C6-5. That was a screamer!

Pipeline 1_WEB.jpg

Pipelin starting to turn A .jpg

Here's my tube finned rocket -

The PIPELINE
It's one of my Odd'l Rockets kits.

This one is a little different, it has three tubes instead of the standard six.
The tubes are slightly canted to give it a good spin during boost. You can see it spinning in flight.

The first prototype had too much angle on the tubes. It's second flight with a B6-4 spun too fast and shreaded the tubes right off it! My mistake, those first tubes were painted off the model and just surface glued with super glue.

The production model is great now and a favorite flyer. The pictures are from a NEFAR launch with a C6-5. That was a screamer!

There would certainly be nothing wrong with this one having its own gallery section...hint...hint:wink:

Here's one of mine. It's made from paper, inspired by the
NAR Paper Tiger design, called the Tubular Tiger, uses
streamer recovery. It's a good way to use up some of the
surplus A8-3's I seem to have aquired over time.

jeff

IMG_0532_web.jpg

IMG_0535_web.jpg

My Cyclotron was the vehicle of dashe L2 dreams. It was an easy build and was quite dependable with H and I motors. I tried to used it for an L2 qualification flight and made a lousy motor choice. It looked really nice for the first few dozen feet as it went up. It was much less nice as it disintegrated after that.

I went with a simple scheme of charcoal and bronze and printed the LOC decals out on label paper. It wasn't the best in the world but I wanted to try it and see how it went.

My TRF thread on this rocket is here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=6985

The albums are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/collections/72157622686424094/

Attachments

• Cyc-done-2.jpg
    Cyc-done-2.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Cyc-f1b.jpg
    Cyc-f1b.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Cyc-f1j.jpg
    Cyc-f1j.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Cyc-f1l.jpg
    Cyc-f1l.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Cyc-f1d.jpg
    Cyc-f1d.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 70
A few years ago, I slapped together the first one for the NAR Section
to have on hand for spectators (can't have young kids come to a
launch and not fly a rocket)!

It's made from scrap tubes and one of those ugly Estes Sidewinder
cones that come in a multi-pak. Rattle can paint from Wally World.

The Thrustline Mars Probe isn't a traditional tube rocket, but it does
have a couple of rings, so I guess it counts. ;) It's finished with
DupliColor Metalcast paint.

Tube-Fin.jpg

ROCK-Club_Tube-launch.jpg

MarsProbe.jpg

MarsProbe2.jpg

Mars_Probe-pad.jpg

Why not machbusting tube fin rockets?

SAAYYY WHAATTT???

His name is Justyn Palmer, be sure to keep your eye on Rockets magazine:wink: (Hint:Turtleosis)

-Braden

Why not machbusting tube fin rockets?

SAAYYY WHAATTT???

His name is Justyn Palmer, be sure to keep your eye on Rockets magazine:wink: (Hint:Turtleosis)

-Braden

That's just fine with me and, assuming its legit, I would copy the post into both threads.

Layne Pemberton's Kraken is a nice variation of the tube finned rocket theme. Instead of 6, he relies on 4 and those are mitered to achieve a unique look. I have a Kraken sitting around someplace but it has not yet been built. I have built the King Kraken and it was a very nice rocket. In fact it was so nice, that some kids driving by decided to toss it into their truck and drive off.:bangbang:

I painted mine black but went with a dark purple for the inside of the tubes. I also used some pink to highlight the edges, much as is seen in some teuthological specimens.

The build thread is in the archive here: https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=48636

The albums are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/collections/72157607641037578/

================
I copied this post into the thread

KK-black-6.jpg

KK-flt-1b.jpg

KK-flt-2b.jpg

KK-flt-1d.jpg

Last edited:
If I understand correctly, this is a design by Doug Sams and sold by Squirrel Works. It is a cool tube fin sustainer with 6 conventional fins on the booster. That's right, it is a staged tube fin rocket.

It is designed for 24mm motors and I don't fly the 2 stage configuration very often because I kind of like it and want to get it all back. Even as a single stage, it performs well.

My unimaginative paint scheme just follows the face card. The upper stage is yellow and the lower stage is orange. It's simple but effective, especially with the simple decal to set it off.

My build thread on TRF is here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=3466

The photo albums are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/collections/72157618936129577/

Attachments

• reaady-2.jpg
    reaady-2.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Tuber-f1b.jpg
    Tuber-f1b.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Tuber-f1a.jpg
    Tuber-f1a.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Tuber-f1e.jpg
    Tuber-f1e.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 76
Here's another tube fin I found in my inventory. It was a bit of a disappointment when I realized that it was a RTF but I understand it is available as a kit as well. It's from a company called ModelRockets.US and is called the Toob'oh.

I can't complain about its performance. Its minimum diameter and can easily get lost on a B. Little kids seem to like it and I've flown it a lot because they choose it.

TOOB-f1a.jpg

TOOB-f1f.jpg

TOOB-f2b.jpg

TOOB-f2d.jpg

Toob-unwrap-1.jpg

You can hop on the bandwagon with my dad and I!

We're starting a 3 inch diameter 6 foot tall tube fin rocket, with six tube fins, and a 54mm mount to accomodate L's. Should hit a little over 7k feet on one :cool2:

-Braden

Saturday, Jan 1st. Is "stubby rocket day" at our monthly club launch. I baconized the baconator for better snow visibility. Funny thing is it's 54 degrees here right now and all of the snow is gone! Oh well, no such thing as too much bacon.

rebacon.JPG

Back