Level 1 certification build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

top150

Reaction score
I am about to start level 1 and I purchased the LOC Ezi-65 and the caliber isp. I think I am going to build the Ezi-65 for level 1. This will be a build thread plus any help you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TRF, i'm sure your get lots of help from the TRFers here.
looking forward to your build, and just so i can be the first to say it "we like pictures"
good luck with your level 1

A Caliber-ISP! Thats what I used for my level 1, and I'v never seen another one. Great kit.

You can see my avatar thats mine, I just flew again and it flies straight as an arrow every time. CTI I140 Skid best launch so far!

1. Me and my rocket

2. My Jr. Level 1 Cert. 2,300ft (Photo by Rick Dickinson)

3. CTI I140 Skid BABY! 3,139ft

4. I thought it was cool. (see the keychain cam.)

IMG_5840.JPG

Lift Off Zoomed.jpg

Skid Cropped.JPG

IMG_5845.JPG

Last edited:
was this at rocstock? when did you launch? either way congrats and great flight!

Me? Jr. Level 1 was at ROCtober 2009 but the sparky flight was at ROCStock two weeks ago!

Thanks it was a great experience! The guys at ROC are second to none!!!

yup yup, i'll be standing around the check in area with my camera on december 11 if i dont have a final :p

Last edited:
Here is my EZI-65 at METRA April 2009 on a J315 Redline. It was converted to dual deployment and went to 3,872 feet. The first video is the flight and the second is the recovery.
[YOUTUBE]O_lOOfsdAAk[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]muz0ounrHr0[/YOUTUBE]
Here are a couple of pictures of it from this year on an I211 and on an I161. The flights went to 2,160 and 1,600 feet respectively.
Fixed the Youtube links for you.

You only need to enter the stuff between the "v=" and the "&". The Youtube tag takes care of the rest.

Great flight and recovery, BTW.

Finally, I am able to get started I had to get through exams and then break hit so I was getting a bunch of hours at work. I decided to build the Caliber-ISP as my level 1 now. There are all the pieces. Few questions before I get started. First one is what kind of motor retention is best? Also, is there anything you guys suggest I might change from stock or anything I should add? Thanks

phpc4B2YGPM.jpg

Suggestion...Ditch the launch lug that comes with it and use rail buttons. OR use both the rail buttons and the lug (lug on one side and the buttons on the other). Rails are sooo much nicer.

Question...What is your plan for motor retention?

-Dave

For motor retention I was thinking trying something like aeropack, but I also saw something with slime in its name. I am not sure how those are.

Can't go wrong with Aeropack. If you are going to use adapters for smaller motors, it's THE way to go.

Threaded slimlines are nice, but unless you need the low profile, Aeropack is my favorite.

Another question What do I use for the wadding? I know you don't use the same stuff as low power because that would be a ton of wadding.

Normally you would use a nomex/kevlar chute protector. They are basically a square or round sheet of fireproof material that goes between the parachute and ejection point. They have a slit cut in them so they slide on to the rocket shock cord. Chute protectors are completely reusable, and don't litter, like wadding. Check around, they are available from a lot of vendors.

Or go to the local box store and pick up a bale of cellulose insulation (i.e. dog barf). An almost lifetime supply is about $6.

Last edited:
Dog barf is for LP or MP....
try https://www.wildmanrocketry.com/default.asp?groupid=75&groupid1=81&groupid2=86
or
https://www.giantleaprocketry.com/hpdefault.asp
then click on "recovery" then "parachute protectors"

Get in the habit of using these products vice dog barf. As you get into the bigger airframes you just can't use dog barf as it's uncool to release huge amounts of it --- just think of how much would be needed for a 5.5 inch rocket!

It's not really uncool - the stuff is biodegradable and lightweight, but it would be irritating, and in the larger diameters, dog barf really doesn't protect all that well. Chute protectors are definitely the way to go.

I've been using dog barf on tubes up to 4" with better results then the chute protectors I have. All my protectors have developed small burn holes in them, usually burned in them during the first use. The chutes have various scorch/melt spots because of it. I've never had an issue with dog barf.

I don't blow large amounts of dog barf into the environment either. In more cases then not, I've been able to reuse the dog barf because it stays in the tubes.

Ejection charges do NOT blow anything out of the tubes unless you're using a piston. All it does is pressurize the tube and pop the nosecone off the tube. The nose cone pulls the recovery gear out of the tube. The dog barf will be slightly scorched on the charge side, but the gases go right through it and it will stay in place unless the tube is upside down for some time and it's shaken out of the tube.

True. I usually use chute protectors in conjunction with dog barf. Even though I have nomex or similar flame-retardant fabric in between the charge and my chute, I'll toss in several handfuls of dog barf as well, just as extra insurance. I've yet to burn a chute when doing this.

Also, as you said, it's quite common for me to get my rocket back and discover that 60-70% of the dog barf has stayed in the tube.

I finally got all the things I need so I am going to start building tonight and hopefully get some pictures up. What motor would you guys suggest for first launch? I saw wildman had a certification sale going on so I want to buy the casing and motor while the sale is going on.
Thanks

What is your final weight?

How much space do you have to work with and what is the waiver?

Do you want to see it for the entire flight - or, how high do you want to go?

Do you want to see it again (read: do you want it to go stupid high)? :wink:

-Dave

I am not sure on the final weight because I have not finished it. For room I guess its a decent amount its not huge but not tiny either. I think the waiver it ten thousand feet. As for the height I would like I don't want it ridculosly high but I don't need to see it the whole time.

Good luck with your L1 Cert attempt, I'm hoping to attempt my HPR L1 cert flight next Sat.(March 19th) I've just finished my LOC High-Tech (Final glosscoat drying right now) It is 49.75"lengthx2.63" dia x 20oz. I'm planning to use either H97-10,H128-M if I use the MMA-2 adapt. but might just axe the xtra baggage and use H45-10 since its made for 38mm anyway. I don't like 28"chute supplied I might swap to 19" from my ViperIV, I built this one xtra strong for attempt so I'm not worried about damage as much as drift...Recently joined Spaceport Rocketry Association, they fly with FAA waiver 3rd sat each month. Large field, lots of brush...I'll post pics of my L1 rocket tomorrow..

So yesterday I finally launched and successfully got L1. I launched it on an I170 and I think it got around 3,000 ft. I have no picture nor video of the launch. It took a while to find the rocket but some people from club helped me look for it and we finally found it. Although this wasn't a build thread really thanks for all your guys input. Now it is time for L2 though and I have never messed with electronics so it should be fun.

Electronics are not required for L2 flights, they just keep the bird a bit closer.

Back