Dremel cordless power tools...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDcluster

Reaction score
I currently have the 10.8 volt model & was looking to buy a second battery so that I can still use it while the other is charging. Last year they were $55.00 now they are less than $40.00. While searching for the battery I came upon the newer 12 volt model. Does anyone in rocket land have this newer model? It is $100.00 the 10.8 was $65.00 when I bought it new about a year or so ago...

I never heard of it before & was wondering what others think?

JD

Personally, I stay away from battery powered tools unless I absolutely need something cordless. Even the best batteries, properly cared for, don't seem to last more than a year or two and are absurdly expensive to replace. I have a corded Dremel that once belonged to my Grandfather (probably made in the 1950s) that still works great.

Personally, I stay away from battery powered tools unless I absolutely need something cordless. Even the best batteries, properly cared for, don't seem to last more than a year or two and are absurdly expensive to replace. I have a corded Dremel that once belonged to my Grandfather (probably made in the 1950s) that still works great.

True. But, like cell phones and crackberries you wonder how you got along without.

yup, my dad has a few cordless drills, and they work okay, but when they need more torque they slow way down, whereas the corded ones will just keep the same speed. and i dont see why you would need a cordless dremel, well you could use one, but the dremel work i do is precise enough that i dont need to be maneuvering all over the place getting tangled in a cord, i just turn the rocket :D

but can't help w/ur battery predicament

I'm well aware of the power trade-offs between corded & cordless models. I've gone through at least 4 different Dremel & Sears models (both made by Dremel)

I stopped buying their corded models due to: problems with the cord attachment or the actual internal wiring.
It would become disconnected causing it to loose power if the cord wasn't held in the right position.

My current "corded model" is actually a Foredom power tool.
It's a flex shaft design with a much bigger motor. It's impractical to use it in some jobs.

The 10.8 fit the bill nicely & cuts through just about anything if you don't force it too much.

It does have a safety overload circuit built into it to prevent it from burning out. No big deal, all you have to do is: pull the battery pack out & wait 30 sec or so.

I'm pretty good with cordless tools as I have 2 Drills & the Dremel. Both drills are older than 3 years old. The oldest being about 13 years old (It doesn't get much use these days).

JD

My buddy has the new 12v cordless and it is a great tool to have in the launch box. I am supprised so many people are "wondering" why you would use cordless.

I do agree however that corded is the best for "overall" and it is true what has been said about batteries needing to be replaced. The sad thing is most battery powered tools now a days are designed to be disposable. I use a cordless drill every day on the job and the 2 batteries that it comes with usually start to loose the ability to hold a charge about the same time the switch burns out or the casing cracks. I think battery technology has come a long way from the "NiCad days" but the Lithium batteries suffer the same short life in power tools.

All that being said, that new cordless dremel is a pretty good tool. I was suprised with its performace the first time I used it.

My guess is, like cordless drills, higher voltage will mean more torque.

If you're not having problems with the current tool doing what you need, I wouldn't upgrade.

-Kevin

I myself will be getting a cordless Dremel to compliment my older corded version.
As a tradesman (commercial /industrial ventilation and dust collection) we use cordless drill and impact drill for most of our fastening tasks as well as drilling into steel using 3/8" bits most often.Recharging batteries properly is key to longevity and i see guys do it wrong all the time.Batteries should be charged when a drop in power/torque is noticed and NOT when batteries are completey dead (remember that old chesnut?)Also leaving batteries discharge (which they will do over time) in their case or leaving batteries uncharged for periods of time is also a deathknell .I won`t mention brands, but there is some crap out there ,but also ,some of these drills/tools are termed "handyman" tools ,and not made for industrial use.
Of course ,cordless tools have their limits, and that said ,corded tools will always have a place in the workshop and the workplace.

Cheers

Paul T

I currently have the 10.8 volt model & was looking to buy a second battery so that I can still use it while the other is charging. Last year they were $55.00 now they are less than $40.00. While searching for the battery I came upon the newer 12 volt model. Does anyone in rocket land have this newer model? It is $100.00 the 10.8 was $65.00 when I bought it new about a year or so ago...

I never heard of it before & was wondering what others think?

JD

JD:
I've been using the Dremel 8000 cordless 10.8v Lithium model for about 6 years. It's my go to tool for modeling and many precision woodworking projects. I do have two batteries and it's the only way to fly LOL!! I'd say stay with what you have if it's doing the jobs you need. Upgrade when the tool gives out rather then the just the battery.

Well I`m off to do a bit of cross border shopping next weekend ,think I`ll hit some stores and get a cordless model for myself ;)

Paul

Back