Painting large rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gillard

Reaction score
i know what you're thinking: Great ANOTHER paint question.

i'm making a reasonably large rocket, when it comes to painting it, i was wondering what other people do to paint large rockets, i figure it will cost quite a bit to use spray cans, too much effort to use a model air brush, so i'm tempted to use a tin of household paint and a brush.

what do you guys do?

(by large, think 10 inch diameter, 12 foot tall)

methinks a roller would work better than a brush...or see if the local auto body shop might be pursuaded to spray it :).
rex

Gillard...this one [8in] was painted with rattle cans. It is fiberglass so painting was a snap. Took 4 cans to prime and 4 to finish with 2 cans clear cost was 42.00 Krylon sized cans.

First I would need to consider the material being painted.
The quality of finish you wish to attain.

If it's cardboard or something porous like concrete casting tubes, I would seal it with thin down epoxy [if that's possible for you] it would reduce all the following sanding and filling and priming greatly. That's if you are going for a top shelf finish.

Or yes I have helped others with large tubes.Use a fair quality house type paint for priming and roll or brush it on. Lots of sanding if you want a smooth finish.

Then go to rattle cans to finish.[Takes way fewer cans to do it]

Best results with house paint where a "class finish" is not required" or as I like to say when viewing the rocket from at least 10ft away......looks good from here Were done with what we call airless sprayer mainly used for house painting.

You can do a pretty fair job easy and quick if you know someone with an airless spay gun.
If not go down to your local pub at quitt'n time and find some painters just off work and buy a couple of beers. They are easy to spot, paint on the cloths, or call local paint store to find out the local watering hole.
I know that's where all mine were after work, especially Fridays after pay. LOL Who painted your flat or house, give them a call.

Tell them what your doing ......[rockets].... offer them a couple bucks AND you will have BEER after the rocket is finished. You will probably get it done for free,in any color paint they have on the truck and in record time! LOL It would take me less than 20 minutes to set up, paint and be done on a rocket this size. Then you can do the prep for finish paint and have one over again for finishing it off.
Of course never offer ALL the beer you can drink as payment, it would be far cheaper to have Rolls Royce paint your rocket after paying for the beer consumed!
All kidding aside: But it is a viable option. I have been asked and done many small jobs from contacts at a bar...... for beer or trade.

Best results are with Flat and eggshell type finish[matte or very low sheen] house paint.

I used both my HVLP for wood work with thinned house paint. [Gloss]
That rocket came out beautiful....like cabinets.
But still had to do all the prep and sanding used for rattle or auto paint job.

The quality of the job will = the quality of your prep and skill regardless of materials used. And the quality of the tools used.

With a quality brush and great paint I have rolled [good roller cover, no cheepies] I have painted many things [doors, cabinets, boats, that looked like they were sprayed.

DSC_0086.jpg

Last edited:
well, rattle cans can do the job. I use rustoleum paints, get the x2 coverage. kind. It really does cover twice as much.

You could always to what Vern Knowles does.

All his rockets are painted at local auto body shops.

-Braden

Another option... Spray with a rattle can and don't worry too much about maintaining a wet edge to get a perfect finish which is hard on a large rocket. After drying wet sand with 400 grit. Then use a foam brush to apply Future Finish--two light coats 8 hours apart. You'll end up with a thing of beauty.

Renting an airless sprayer could be a good option for you.

If I had to roll something that large I would choose my paint wisely. The satin/flat materials will finish out better with less tracking for sure.

Depending on your local weather.... If you want to go with more of a gloss or semi there are some pretty easy to work with paints in the industrial type alkyd enamel or even some of the urethane lines that would work well and definitely be tough enough for the job with great pigments. As always, read the can and watch those flash times with any solvent based paints.

Best option...I agree with some of the above... Get a 12 pack and sneak it into a fab/auto shop, choose some colors out of their bone bin and let them be creative with a little of your guidance! :D

I like it when that kind of deal winds up knocking on my door for sure! :D

Good luck.

If you really want a quality job don't use house paint. I would recommend One Shot lettering enamel. Use a green foam roller and a good brush to "tip off" the bubbles or just the brush. You may have to make some adjustments to the viscosity of the paint but this method will produce a near spray like finish. Another option for the paint is a yacht enamel like Interlux.

Back