Machbuster Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPscaler

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ahhh Yeah!

My fiberglassed Eddie Van Halen rocket called one shot deal does mach on 29/240 loads.

OSD.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this for posting pictures of any machbusters, or for admiring yours?

(It's very nice by the way - you should fly it on an H268R :D)

Is this for posting pictures of any machbusters, or for admiring yours?

(It's very nice by the way - you should fly it on an H268R :D)

please post pictures!

I want to put it on one, but I had to raise the lower rail button really high just to fit the 29/240. Maybe if I can grind down the threads on the lower button I can get the 360 case in there.

OK. Here was my first (verified) supersonic shot: a somewhat modified PML Cirrus Dart on an I600 redline, carrying a prototype Featherweight Parrot onboard. Max speed mach 1.6ish, altitude 11,950 feet:

And the data:

And a Cd curve extracted from the accel data (velocity is in m/s - sorry)

As for yours, why use railbuttons? Are there no towers available?

OK. Here was my first (verified) supersonic shot: a somewhat modified PML Cirrus Dart on an I600 redline, carrying a prototype Featherweight Parrot onboard. Max speed mach 1.6ish, altitude 11,950 feet:

And the data:

And a Cd curve extracted from the accel data (velocity is in m/s - sorry)

As for yours, why use railbuttons? Are there no towers available?

Well, it wasn't actually intended to go mach in the first place. But it does on H220's and H250's. I could rip them off and use a tower I suppose.

I have two that can possibly go mach if I use the largest motors that will fit.

One is a 2.6" scratch build I call The Sound of Madness. I flew it on a J510 which sims past mach, but I'm still waiting on altimeter data to show that it did.

It got a little beat up when the drouge failed to deploy, so it won't fly again until next year.

The other is a slightly beefed up PML Thunder N Lightning, with Magna-Frame sleeving in the bottom sections of tubes. Once again, it sims past mach. I just need the sustainer to light.

The booster motor burned out at 300 MPH, so there is some potential.

Pone 070.jpg

MWP8 010.jpg

I have two that can possibly go mach if I use the largest motors that will fit.

One is a 2.6" scratch build I call The Sound of Madness. I flew it on a J510 which sims past mach, but I'm still waiting on altimeter data to show that it did.

It got a little beat up when the drouge failed to deploy, so it won't fly again until next year.

The other is a slightly beefed up PML Thunder N Lightning, with Magna-Frame sleeving in the bottom sections of tubes. Once again, it sims past mach. I just need the sustainer to light.

The booster motor burned out at 300 MPH, so there is some potential.
J510 to I1299?:D That'd be sick! I've got to build one of those some time.

I've thought about it, but I think the 1320 case is too long to fit in the booster. A J570 will fit, though.

Edit: I just checked.

The case is about half an inch too long, meaning that I'd have to build a special interstage coupler for it to accept the extra length and the parachute. Maybe I'll get bored someday...

Last edited:
I've thought about it, but I think the 1320 case is too long to fit in the booster. A J570 will fit, though.

Edit: I just checked.

The case is about half an inch too long, meaning that I'd have to build a special interstage coupler for it to accept the extra length and the parachute. Maybe I'll get bored someday...
let the case hang out the back a bit :D

J530 to J510 would give a higher top speed, and would eliminate the motor length issue in the booster (it might shred though - that's a LOT of power in a 38 2 stager).

Unfortunately, the top stage fin can is only long enough to hold a J570, if that. The J510 would have to go in the bottom if I ever did it.

The more "reasonable" combo would be a J570 to a J350, which is still more power than the original rocket was designed for.

You could do J530 to J825 - that would be pretty awesome (and it would fit) :D

Last edited:
Here is my machbuster. It is a VB Extreme 54. All three tubes have been fiberglassed. Pseudo slots were cut for fin mounting. Once the fins were cured, they were covered in a tip-to-tip fiberglass to protect them upon landing and hopfully keep them on during flight. It has not flown yet as I am in need of drilled and tapped forward closures. Motor retention is a 54mm Slim Line retainer.

IMGA0027.JPG

Here is my machbuster. It is a VB Extreme 54. All three tubes have been fiberglassed. Pseudo slots were cut for fin mounting. Once the fins were cured, they were covered in a tip-to-tip fiberglass to protect them upon landing and hopfully keep them on during flight. It has not flown yet as I am in need of drilled and tapped forward closures. Motor retention is a 54mm Slim Line retainer.

Looks pretty sick. I need to get David Hassinger on here to post some pictures. He's got his minimum diameter L3 bird called the Red Baron. He's going to put it on a 98mm baby O next year. A green carbon fiber/fiberglass/kevlar bird, 75mm minimum diameter, flown on K-L. "frankenrocket" a 38mm minimum diameter rocket, you guessed it, carbon fiber/kevlar/fiberglass, and a brand new 54mm minimum diameter fiberglass rocket, with tip to tip carbon fiber. That he is going to fly on a research L sometime next year.

-Braden

So far, my only mach flight has been my Ultimate Wildman on the N10,000. The 12 foot tall, 58lb rocket went to 11,927ft at Mach 1.38. Not your typical machbuster. :D

My winter project however, is a 3 Dogs Rocketry KestreL. I hope to fly it on a J or a K at the spring Red Glare, and an L640DT at LDRS. I may fly it on the L935 depending on the success of the L640 flight. :)

IMG_9686-1.jpg

DSC_0618-1.jpg

So far, my only mach flight has been my Ultimate Wildman on the N10,000. The 12 foot tall, 58lb rocket went to 11,927ft at Mach 1.38. Not your typical machbuster. :D

That's amazingly close to the flight profile of my Cirrus on an I600.

Drag race? :wink::D

That's amazingly close to the flight profile of my Cirrus on an I600.
Different routes taken to reach the same destination. :cool:

12K feet! The highest flight that I have ever witnessed went about one-fourth as high.

My first attempt, the 18mm Mach My Day that was wholy unstable:
MMD%20side.JPG

My second attempt, the 29mm Machnum Force. Lessons were learned; it had large plywood fins, a smooth strong coating of hardened wood glue, and enough nose weight for stability. It flew to (simmed) just over Mach on a G78G at NERRF 5.

Machnum%20Force.JPG

And now, my third and best, the 29mm Sudden Mach. (No, I never get tired of the puns...) It's made from all conventional materials - plastic nose cone, paper tubing, 1/8" basswood fins - except for the blue tube couplers. (I needed the length.) It's got a long, skinny avbay that can hold a timer or DD controller.

First flight on an E18W:
SM%201%20modded.JPG

Painted:
Painted.JPG

And, the second flight, drag racing Crazy Jim's Blackhawk, and an unidentified rocket, on a G78G at NERRF 6. Jim Flis caught this great shot; I believe the Sudden Mach is on the left.
dsc08461.jpg

Looks pretty sick. I need to get David Hassinger on here to post some pictures. He's got his minimum diameter L3 bird called the Red Baron. He's going to put it on a 98mm baby O next year. A green carbon fiber/fiberglass/kevlar bird, 75mm minimum diameter, flown on K-L. "frankenrocket" a 38mm minimum diameter rocket, you guessed it, carbon fiber/kevlar/fiberglass, and a brand new 54mm minimum diameter fiberglass rocket, with tip to tip carbon fiber. That he is going to fly on a research L sometime next year.

-Braden

Thanks. I have run it through wRASP and on a K250, it will go to about 16,000 feet. The largest motor I want to put in it is a K1100.

Those birds sound awesome. I look forward to seeing pictures of them.

the paint was coated with west system special clear 207. at the body joint it melted the paint and heated the epoxy enough to "curl it".. kinda wierd.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D2lsxLs-sLKg&sa=U&ei=yEwKTa2MEIGB8gbWiLWfAQ&ved=0CBQQtwIwAg&sig2=sPju9sEOwir2B6aYk4um8g&usg=AFQjCNHyOhzmL37FX80bpOs8eiXQUdTFQg[/YOUTUBE]

dyd.jpg

dyd2.jpg

dyd3.jpg

dyd20.jpg

Last edited:
A clone of a 24mm "machbuster" I originally built about 10 years ago. Sims to about Mach 1.1 on a hot summer day, with an E30. The original one flew twice.

Yes, that's a boat tail over the end of the motor...

24mm Machbuster.jpg

24mm Machbuster motor.jpg

Here is a follow up to the machbusters I was speaking of built by Dave Hassinger somewhere in this thread.

Here is the red baron, on an EX N3200 Swamp Gas/everclear motor, started to wobble, then shredded
[YOUTUBE]GaaMTo4qzHU[/YOUTUBE]

Here is the 3 inch version of the same rocket, flying on an M something or another everlcear EX motor
[YOUTUBE]1ZbLVw7m46s[/YOUTUBE]
the motor over-pressurized, pieces of the case went everywhere, the Loki case didn't function properly, as to blow out the nozzle or closure before blowing the case apart.

He has now built an all aluminum rocket, there is an 8 foot aluminum tube...that's the motor. :surprised: then there is 1 foot of airframe to house the main parachute and shock cord. First flight is on May 20th in brothers oregon on an Orange Sunset O3100.

Braden

the Loki case didn't function properly, as to blow out the nozzle or closure before blowing the case apart.

I'm not sure I would call that a malfunction of the casing. It's true that blowing a closure is a common failure mode, but depending on the kind of failure, pretty much any casing can be made to blow out the side as well.

Here is a follow up to the machbusters I was speaking of built by Dave Hassinger somewhere in this thread.

Here is the red baron, on an EX N3200 Swamp Gas/everclear motor, started to wobble, then shredded
[YOUTUBE]GaaMTo4qzHU[/YOUTUBE]

Here is the 3 inch version of the same rocket, flying on an M something or another everlcear EX motor
[YOUTUBE]1ZbLVw7m46s[/YOUTUBE]
the motor over-pressurized, pieces of the case went everywhere, the Loki case didn't function properly, as to blow out the nozzle or closure before blowing the case apart.

He has now built an all aluminum rocket, there is an 8 foot aluminum tube...that's the motor. :surprised: then there is 1 foot of airframe to house the main parachute and shock cord. First flight is on May 20th in brothers oregon on an Orange Sunset O3100.

Braden

Flying on the frozen steppes looks.....cool.

I'm not sure I would call that a malfunction of the casing. It's true that blowing a closure is a common failure mode, but depending on the kind of failure, pretty much any casing can be made to blow out the side as well.
Oh, it didn't blow out the side, there was pieces of case EVERYWHERE. took us about an hour to collect as much as we could find.
Flying on the frozen steppes looks.....cool.

Oh, it was certainly a cool day. :wink:

Braden

O.k. Here is my new minimum diameter 29mm Rocket. It will* fly on a G75 Metalstorm at Hellfire 16. It should just break mach on a G75 hitting mach 1.03 (simulated on open rocket.)
IMG_2472.jpg

IMG_2478.jpg
Stupid paint courtesy of my stupid stickers.

Back