Sizzler, Estes kit #1906

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradycros

Reaction score
Sizzler​
Estes kit #1906
BT-60 Upscale​

Printed out instructions and fin template, available at www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/estes/est1906.pdf. Checked the 1/10th graduations on the ruler in the printed copy of the fin template. They were found to be accurate, letting me know the photograph of the fins were to scale for the original BT-50 airframe.

To expand picture without losing all the detail, place curser on photo, right click mouse, select open link, click arrowhead in bottom righthand corner of screen (next to 100%), select 125% or 150%.

sizzler 001.jpg

Last edited:
To start, I draw a box around a fin. Using a straight edge, draw a line along the root edge.

sizzler 002.jpg

Measure from the root edge to the tip, I came up with 53.5 mm. Tic marks were made at the top and bottom of the page with the same measurement.

sizzler 003.jpg

Connect the tic marks. In this exsample the whole edge of the tip and root edge run parallel to each other. If the tip were to have a point sticking out futher then the rest of the edge, draw the parallel line from the point that extends out the furthest.

sizzler 004.jpg

Place one arm of the square along line drawn for the tip edge so the other arm reaches to where the root and leading edges intersect. Draw a line.

sizzler 005.jpg

Place one arm of square where the tip and following edge intersect, let the other arm of the square reach over to the root edge. Draw a line.

sizzler 006.jpg

There is a small triangle thats been removed where the root and following edges would have intersected. I'm going to refer to this edge as the 2nd root edge.

Place one arm of square along root edge. Place the other arm of the square where the 2nd root edge and the following edge intersect. Draw a line over to the root edge line.

sizzler 007.jpg

Last edited:
Place one arm of the square on the line below the following edge. Place the other arm of the square where the 2nd root edge and the following edge intersect, then draw a line down to the line below the following edge.

sizzler 008.jpg

It should look like this when the measurements are put in place.

To expand picture without losing all the detail, place curser on photo, right click mouse, select open link, click arrowhead in bottom righthand corner of screen (next to 100%), select 125% or 150%.

sizzler 009.jpg

To enlarge everything proportionately, a scaling factor is needed. To determine the scaling factor, choose the size body tube you want to upscale to. I'm going to upscale to BT-60 (1.637 inches), from BT-50 (.976 inches). A 167% increase.

Divide the BT-60 (upscale tube size) by the BT-50 (original tube size).

1.637 (BT-60) divided by .976 (BT-50) = 1.677254

1.677254 is the SCALING FACTOR

Write that down somewhere.

All measurements from the original rocket will be multiplyed by the scaling factor.
Except angles, angles do not upscale or change, they remain the same.

But I didn't measure any angles, I measured the space drawn around the fin.

Last edited:
Making the Upscale Fin Template​

110 lb cardstock is used for the fin template, available at Wal Mart.

The X and Y lines need to be layed out. Tic marks are made 50 mm from the edges of the top and bottom of the cardstock.

sizzler 010.jpg

Take the measurement of 53.5 mm from the original photo of he fins and multiply it by the scaling factor.

53.5 x 1.677254 = 89.733089 mm

I am going to round that up to 90 mm.

Measure 90 mm from the top of the X line and make a tic mark. Do the same ay the bottom of the X line.

sizzler 012.jpg

I LOVE that old kit I remember loosing mine when I was younger.. I was so bummed. my dad went out and bout me a MEGA sizzler... :D

Don't forget I offer the decals, if you want to upgrade to vinyl!

Three sides of the "Box" are drawn. To top off the box, look for the measurement that was found in the photo of the fins. The measurement from where the root edge and the leading edge intersect to where the tip and following edge intersect is 84 mm. See Post #9 for visual referance.

84 mm X 1.677254 = 140.88933 mm

I'll round that up to 141 mm

Measure UP 141 mm on the left and right sides of the Y line, leaving a tic mark.

sizzler 014.jpg

I'll start filling in the fin from the lower left hand corner of the "Box". The photo of the original fins shows that where the 2nd root edge and the following edge intersect is 8 mm from the X line.

8 mm x 1.677254 = 13.418032 mm

I'll round that up to 13.5 mm

Make tic mark on Y line, 13.5 mm from the X line.

sizzler 016.jpg

The next measurement for this intersection is 21 mm.

21 mm x 1.677254 = 35.222334 mm

I'll round that down to 35 mm

Place one arm of square along the Y line, butt the second arm of the square up to the 13.5 mm tic mark, place another tic mark 35 mm up from the 13.5 mm tic mark.

sizzler 017.jpg

Next measurement is 36 mm up the X line (from where X & Y intersect) in the the photo of the fins.

36 x 1.677254 = 60.381144 mm

I'll round that up to 60.5 mm

Measure up 60.5 mm from the base of the X line.

sizzler 018.jpg

Last edited:
The last measurement 54.5 mm, is taken from the top righthand corner to the top of the tip edge.

54.5 mm x 1.677254 = 91.410343 mm

I'll round that up to 91.5 mm

Place tic mark 91.5 mm down the righthand line, measured from the top righthand corner.

sizzler 019.jpg

Last edited:
Connect tic marks.

sizzler 020.jpg

sizzler 021.jpg

sizzler 022.jpg

Attachments

• sizzler 023.jpg
    sizzler 023.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 35
Original body tube was 18 inches of BT-50.

18 inches x 1.677254 = 30.190572 inches of BT-60

I'll round that down to 30 inches.
www.semroc.com has the BNC-60Y nose cone available. It's 7.25 inches long.

Last edited:
The corrected link is Estes #1906

Interesting looking bird.

I usually do my up and downscaling via my scanner and futz around the percentages when printing. Probably not nearly as accurate as your method but much less time-consuming and "close enough for government work."

It's helpful to use a small metal scale in the scan when documenting parts so that those who come afterwards can use that get a true-sized image.

I measure the fins and plot them in RockSim using (x,y) format; once you get the base coords for the corner points upscaling is a snap.

I have a 4" version of this rocket about 1/2 built. 3/16 ply fins that I cut and beveled, ttw 54mm mount, dual deploy. Vinyl decals from Tango Papa. I'll dig out a couple pics later.

Love this rocket; it was my first rocket. Came in a starter set with a Big Foot launch pad and it's own range box (cardboard suitcase LOL)

Good times; what are you planning to use for that pointy ogive nosecone in your bt60 version?

The corrected link is Estes #1906

Interesting looking bird.

I usually do my up and downscaling via my scanner and futz around the percentages when printing. Probably not nearly as accurate as your method but much less time-consuming and "close enough for government work."

It's helpful to use a small metal scale in the scan when documenting parts so that those who come afterwards can use that get a true-sized image.

I normally check the link before I post it, but that one managed to slip by me. At the end of the link I put .pfd instead of .pdf. The link has been corrected, thank you for bringing it to my attention.
Must be my CIT education kicking in!

Factoid: Did you know "close enough for government work" use to mean that what ever kind of work you were doing for the goverment was as "close to perfect as possible"? So "close enough for government work" really ment the work was held to a very high standard.

But that was like a hundred years ago.

Use of a small metal ruler in this case would be redundent since all needed measurements are given and the tread is a "how to" about placement of those measurements.

Last edited:
Here's mine (with some others) from when I first got back in the hobby. It flew great on an E-9 until it drifted to the top of some trees on its 8th or 9th launch. I have a 2.25" version 70% finished in the garage.

Keep the REAL (1906) Sizzlers alive!

Sandy.

upscales finished.jpg

Here's mine (with some others) from when I first got back in the hobby. It flew great on an E-9 until it drifted to the top of some trees on its 8th or 9th launch. I have a 2.25" version 70% finished in the garage.

Keep the REAL (1906) Sizzlers alive!

Sandy.

That's a fine looking bunch of rockets. What's the name of the one in the bottom right hand corner of the photo? Does Estes make it?

Latest posts

Back