7.5" Modular Booster / upscale Estes SM-3 Seahawk - FINISHED!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMR

Entropy Demonstrator
Reaction score
This is the build thread for the 7.5" Modular Booster / upscale Estes SM-3 Seahawk, split off from the "3+ simultaneous 98mm projects" thread, as I envisioned it rapidly getting disjointed and hard to follow. This should make the build easier to follow, as the booster for this rocket uses completely different materials than the other two. (Polecat tubing with 1/2" Baltic Birch fins. The other two projects, as well as the sustainer of this one, use G-10 tubing and fins.) The modular booster for this rocket will be adapted to at least 3 different upper sections, as well. With interchangeable transition / inter-stage couplers, it can support the 5.5" Seahawk sustainer, a 7.5" Polecat sustainer, or the 12" payload shroud containing a secret payload for Eat Cheese or Fly in Aug 2011.

Rule #1 - set goals, not deadlines. I pulled an all-nighter to finish the upscale Death Star in time for ECOF 2010, which somehow reduced my enjoyment of the event. This will be a slow build, with no predetermined launch date cast in stone. Although, ECOF 2011 for the payload shroud launch, and LDRS 2011 for the Seahawk launch, would not be unreasonable.

edit - OK, 2011 and 2012 turned out not be overscheduled. 2013, though, is looking promising!

Attachments

• Estes SM-3 Seahawk.jpg
    Estes SM-3 Seahawk.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I had planned to fly the booster section at WOOSH's "Eat Cheese or Fly" in Aug 2011, with a secret payload in an upper shroud. This rocket obviously wasn't finished in time, but I did manage to throw together a much simpler, slightly larger version, which did successfully fly at the event, although in primer and with NO sanding whatsoever. The Seahawk will hopefully be a higher quality build.

[YOUTUBE]wtwmiblEjWU[/YOUTUBE]

https://youtu.be/wtwmiblEjWU

Last edited:
Rule #1 - set goals, not deadlines. I pulled an all-nighter to finish the upscale Death Star in time for ECOF 2010, which somehow reduced my enjoyment of the event.

A wise choice, I bannish deadlines when ever possible. Deadlines are definitly a enjoyment killer. If your not enjoying the build and putting your best effort into it, why bother to do a half a$$ job of it.
I'm looking forward to your build thread, your last one on the JayHawk was done very well.

Last edited:
Sweet!!! My Seahawk is the most prized and best finished in my arsenal. Would love to do an upscale someday as well.

Okay, ready to get started. I had some leftover 1/2" Baltic Birch from the Jayhawk and Death Star builds, so that will be my fin material here as well. Here is my 4X Seahawk booster fin pattern, and all four fins marked on the sheet of plywood. I plan on cutting lightening holes, foaming them, and using cabinet plywood as the final skin, just as on the Death Star. Those fins were indestructible!

Baltic Birch fins, modular booster.jpg

Sorry for the extended delay. I haven't abandoned this project, just got behind a little as a few of my other builds are approaching launch opportunities. This one will be admittedly slow, as each half of the rocket is essentially an entire rocket in itself... the 7.5" bottom and the 5.5" top. Plus, as in any 2 stage rocket, the transition / interstage coupler is also an engineering challenge. Estimating she will fly in 2012, with an L3150 in the booster and an L850-W in the sustainer. (Now there's a mix! Not going for any altitude records - I just want a usable photo of it staging, so it needs to be relatively low.)

Over the winter I had cut the 4 fins in the above post, but had the table saw set up incorrectly, ruining the first batch. (The leading edge angle was wrong, leaving the tip chord about an inch too small.) I then sat on the decision to recut them, based on not wanting to waste the wood, until I found a need for the bad slugs. (It turns out, they were perfectly sized to be converted into 12" diameter centering rings for a few Sonotubes I had squirreled away.) So, here is the second set of 4 fin slugs and 8 skins for the booster section. Since these are small fins, I was able to squeeze them in to what would otherwise have been empty spaces between the bigger fins and wings of other projects, again avoiding wasted plywood. Next up is cutting out the lightening holes and skinning the wings, which will again be sequenced in with the other fin groups.

Seahawk wing slugs.jpg

Last edited:
A wise choice, I bannish deadlines when ever possible. Deadlines are definitly an enjoyment killer. If you're not enjoying the build and putting your best effort into it, why bother to do a half a$$ job of it. I'm looking forward to your build thread, your last one on the JayHawk was done very well.

Thanks. My apologies for the lengthy delay. I had ordered (and paid for) the nose cone for this rocket in 2009. The original cone was a Performance fiberglass (white) version. In 2011, I switched the order to the "soon to be made" filament wound (green) version. And in the 2 1/2 year delay, this project moved further and further down the list of things to do. But all things come to those who wait, and my nose cone(s) finally arrived. Last weekend, friend and fellow WOOSH member Ben W. and I made the sojourn to the Wildman's lair and picked up our Black Saturday orders. Included in 55,000 Ns of motors were my two 5.5" Von Karman nose cones. (One for this 5.5" / 75mm SM-3 sustainer, the other for the 5.5" / 98mm Isaac Newton.) And they were definitely worth the wait! Beautiful, smooth, perfectly round (unlike some molded fiberglass ones), and I especially like the aluminum tip. (side note - on a Cesaroni N5800, my modified Ultimate Wildman exceeded 1,600 miles per hour (2.1 Mach) with the 6" version of this nose cone, and still looks like brand new. I doubt a molded glass one would. Both of the shreds in the MWP9 N5800 drag race were rockets with molded fiberglass nose cones. I'm not implying a direct correlation, just making an observation.)

This thread originally started as part of a combined build thread for 3+ simultaneous 98mm projects. As I gather components from various corners of the workshop, I am reminded why I split it off... this rocket alone encompasses 3 different builds. (the 7.5" / 98mm booster, the 7.5" to 5.5" transition interstage coupler, and the 5.5" / 75mm sustainer. Which will also all be simultaneous.

So, starting with the sustainer motor mount in attached photo #1 - I cut a 60" x 75mm G12 motor tube in half, making two 30" motor tubes. (The longest motor case I plan to use is the 75/6400 at 32" (M1315-W). The 30" motor mount will maximize both the distance between rail buttons when launched as a single stage, and the efficient use of the available tube.) The 5.5" rings will sit at the top, and 6" up from the bottom, and have hardwood blocks attached for the rail buttons. The aft 6" of motor tube sits inside a 6" piece of 98mm body tube, the ring for which is shown installed, which allows a surface to attach the Aero Pack retainer body's flange. The corresponding aft section of 5.5" body tube (photo #2) will be left clear, to slide over a 6" length of coupler at the top of the interstage transition (bottom right hand corner of photo #3). The sustainer has the option of drag separating, or being ejected via a small BP charge, after burnout of the booster's motor. The interstage will have it's own avionics bay to accommodate the PerfectFlite mini Timers, using a section of 98mm motor tube (black tube in photo #3), which also increases the interstage's stiffness and strength. I plan to airstart the sustainer's motor after separation (and coast time TBD). To run the igniter down from the sustainer's avionics bay, I am toying with the idea of using small copper or aluminum tubing (photo #4). Not a lot of interior body space to work with, though.

Did I mention this is my first HPR staged rocket? I have an experienced mentor on the team, in friend and fellow WOOSH member Jackson of JLRockets, but as always, any tricks, pointers, ideas and/or improvements are always welcome, particularly in staging issues... (interstage torque/force distribution, tilt sensing ignition limits, e-match dipping, etc.). Let the glueing begin!

IMG_8796.jpg

IMG_8787.jpg

IMG_8784.jpg

IMG_8780.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to see you get the ball rolling on this project:clap:

Any chance we will see this at midwest X? Or maybe AIR fest?

Manny

Glad to see you get the ball rolling on this project:clap:

Any chance we will see this at Midwest Power X? Or maybe AIRFest?

I would love to have her ready by AIRFest, Manny. Going to be there anyway, just to see your L2 (and quick turn to L3) cert(s). MWP is probably more reasonable, but you know I work pretty slowly, so I'm not going to set any deadlines. I have a bunch of rings on order from Wildman, and I think I'm still behind the lengthy cue from Black Saturday, so I've just been glassing tubes and tweaking the file in Rocksim. And following some other excellent builds with similar interstage couplers. Specifically, Tim's Blackhawk 29 aka 2nd Stage Sustainer Build "and More" and Dan's Two Stage Formula 54. So nice to have experienced builders to (copy) learn from.

Using 5.5" tubing for the sustainer, and 7.5" for the booster, it comes pretty close to an exact 4X upscale. I will probably be slightly longer, though, as it is gonna pretty tough to stuff reasonable motors in the true-to-scale version. (The original had no electronics and only a single D12 motor, a 4X upscale of which is 11.0" long. A 98-1G motor is longer than that!) And the extra length will help her stability.

Anyway, here is my first stab at simulating it. Looks in the 20,000' range on an M3400 in the booster and an M1315 in the sustainer. Haven't played with optimum coast times, yet.

Seahawk dimensions.png

Seahawk profile.jpg

Seahawk 3D.jpg

Last edited:
And following some other excellent builds with similar interstage couplers.

If you're still looking for ISC advise, I'd highly (*highly*) recommend you get in touch with MDRA's Jerry O'Sullivan (vahpr on this forum, he pops up every now and then) -- he did a 7.5" --> 5.5" Terrier Sandhawk something like 12 years ago (wow I'm getting old) that had several M-M and N-M two stage flights, and an 11.5" --> 7.5" Nike-Nike as well. I'm sure he could provide some advice on what worked and what didn't.

(Plus, Jerry's a master craftsman and one of the nicest guys you'll ever talk to.)

If you're still looking for ISC advise, I'd highly (*highly*) recommend you get in touch with MDRA's Jerry O'Sullivan (vahpr on this forum, he pops up every now and then) -- he did a 7.5" --> 5.5" Terrier Sandhawk something like 12 years ago (wow I'm getting old) that had several M-M and N-M two stage flights, and an 11.5" --> 7.5" Nike-Nike as well. I'm sure he could provide some advice on what worked and what didn't.

(Plus, Jerry's a master craftsman and one of the nicest guys you'll ever talk to.)

I sent him a PM this morning, and we've been discussing the build via email. Thanks for the nudge, David.

Last edited:
Sather, I would agree with David in talking with someone that has done M-N range two-stagers. By all means, don't copy from me. Although I do believe the BH29 and associated booster design is sound and will work, it is somewhat of an experiment on my part.

BTW, love the Seahawk!

Sather, I would agree with David in talking with someone that has done M-N range two-stagers. By all means, don't copy from me. Although I do believe the BH29 and associated booster design is sound and will work, it is somewhat of an experiment on my part.

BTW, love the Seahawk!

Oh, I have been looking at this and picking people's brains for some time - going back to Mike Murphy's Nike-Nike Smoke, one of the most awesome 2 stage flights ever. This is definitely going to be a little piece of everybody, but has and will be a S-L-O-W build. Don't want to get too far ahead, as one of the problems in building stuff is changing the design specs AFTER pieces have been built, then having to pull things apart or start over. The interstage coupler design has been my holdup, as it seems to be a common point of failure. I have settled on using a slip fit 5.5" to 7.5" transition, fitting 6" into the base of the sustainer and 8-10" into the top of the booster (>1 caliber each). This design has been used with a lot of success. My focus is to keep it stiff and supported properly by the booster (in both side and vertical forces).

[YOUTUBE]OKsZi8ddDHw[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Been tweaking the design in Rocksim, and have just started the 98mm motor mount for the booster. I'll start off with the admission that it isn't going to be perfectly true to scale. So, my apologies to the purists, and we'll call it "sport scale". There is no way I can fit a reasonable motor, an avionics bay, and recovery gear for dual deployment in the 63" tall scale booster. The av bay takes 12", the shoulder of the interstage coupler adds another 8", the motor is 30", and the deployment bag is 21" tall. Allowing a litle room for the thickness of bulkheads and some shock cords, I'll be at 73"... a 38" tall motor section and a 35" tall payload bay.

Attached are some notes I jotted down as I started making sure everything would fit. Still a fan of Rocksim, but nothing beats a paper and pencil.

Pictures of motor mount assembly sequence to follow...

Screen shot 2012-02-20 at 10.49.09 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Still a fan of Rocksim, but nothing beats a paper and pencil.

Well, maybe Rocksim does beat a paper and pencil after all. Having sketched this out a few (hundred) times with a pencil, I tried using Rocksim as a CAD tool. Not caring about Cg or Cp, I just placed the parts where I think I needed them, and voila... almost as good as having a part to handle, one can roll it around, view it from different perspectives, and visualize how and in what order it needs to be assembled. Isn't technology great?

Interstage blueprint.jpg

Interstage coupler, rear quartering view.png

Interstage, front quartering view.png

Interstage, near front view.png

As the rockets get larger, the need to understand how to reduce loads becomes more critical...

A box from Tim arrived yesterday... full of centering rings!!! Wow, he must have caught up with back orders from the Black Saturday sale. Alright, time to get to work. Here (photo #1) is the starting point of the 75mm motor mounts for the Seahawk sustainer (on the left), and an undocumented 75mm project (on the right). Both get a 4" centering ring on the bottom, as a thrust plate and attachment point for the Aero Pack retainer.

I am a big fan of distribution of forces. Compression under thrust in boost is normally passed from the aft ring (thrust plate) directly to the tang for TTW fins, then on to the body, etc. This relieves the load at the epoxy fillet on the aft ring to the motor tube.

In each of these rockets, however, the fin tangs do not extend to the thrust plate. For the Seahawk, the aft body tube is open for 6", allowing a 6" length of coupler on the interstage to slide in. For the second motor mount, a Polecat fiberglass tailcone extends the aft ring about 5" behind the full-size ring at the aft end of the fin tang. In both cases, I added ribs along the motor tube, between the thrust plate ring and the next higher ring, to pass the force properly to the tang and not require the epoxy alone to carry the stress. (photo #2)

This is the same philosophy used in the Jayhawk and Isaac Newton builds (photos #3 thru #5).

IMG_8830.jpg

IMG_8837.jpg

IMG_1789.jpg

IMG_5210.jpg

IMG_5361.jpg

Last edited:
Not to forget the other half of this project, here is the 98mm motor mount for the 7.5" Seahawk booster. The top ring is drilled for all-threads to tie the forward bulkplate of the motor-section-mounted avionics bay to the motor mount itself, distributing the tension of recovery forces. The bottom ring is not yet attached, as it will be removed during fin installation to glass the fin joints to the motor tube, and the internal fillets of the fins to the body. The block on the bottom ring is for attaching rail buttons. The remaining rings will also have these installed prior to installation into the body tube.

IMG_8887.jpg

Sather,

May I back-up one post? There you speak of force transfer. If I understand your argument two forces transfer thrust to the airframe:

1. Circumferential joint of thrustplate to airframe.
2. Thrustplate pushing against fintabs pushing against airframe.

What of the force transferred from motor tube to fintab to airframe. That is without thrustplate to fintab contact. Is that substantially equivalent to 2 above?

Feckless Counsel

Sather,

May I back-up one post? There you speak of force transfer. If I understand your argument two forces transfer thrust to the airframe:

1. Circumferential joint of thrustplate to airframe.
2. Thrustplate pushing against fintabs pushing against airframe.

What of the force transferred from motor tube to fintab to airframe. That is without thrustplate to fintab contact. Is that substantially equivalent to 2 above?

Feckless Counsel

In full disclosure, I'm not an engineer, so I try to blog in general and may not always use the correct terms. So, I hope this factual and accurate. Thrust is the force I am trying to distribute, (although another compressive force on the aft ring would be from ground contact in recovery, hopefully under parachute). Thrust pushes with great vigor against the thrust plate (aft ring), and from there to the rest of the rocket through individual-rocket-specific structures and joints. My goal is to spread this sometimes intense point force (compression) from the thrust plate to the mass of the rocket through physical structure, relieving the load on individual epoxy joints. Also, by relieving stress, it reduces cycle fatigue and the chance of subsequent failure of the joint.

So, if I understand your question correctly, you inquire about the force being distributed through the motor tube to the fin tangs, and then to the rest of the rocket, independent of thrust plate to fin tang contact. Yup, that certainly is another path the force can follow. I do have a few rockets (4" and 5.5" Polecat Jayhawks come to mind) that use that method exclusively, since a relatively flimsy fiberglass tailcone separates the aft ring (thrust plate) from the aft body tube ring which touches the fin tangs. This works well, but also keep in mind the significant length of the fin tang to motor tube joint helps here, too. On minimum diameter rockets, all of the force of thrust is carried up the motor/body tube, with the surface-mounted fins hanging on for dear life.

In the typical TTW high power rocket, thrust force (compression) is passed from the aft ring (thrust plate) directly to the tang for TTW fins, then on to the body, etc. In addition to that, thrust is passed from the motor tube to the body tube through fillets at each centering ring. IMHO, the more paths we can distribute / spread out the forces along, the better. Glassing, fillets, tangs, the appropriate use of all-thread (for tensive force distribution), are all attempts to spread forces over larger areas, minimizing stress and failure at a point. Epoxy joints fail, so I prefer not to rely on them exclusively.

Especially at the extremes... i.e. really heavy fins. For example, from my 10" Jayhawk thread,

..... install ribs along the aft section of motor tube, between the aft centering ring (#1) and the tailcone ring (#0). These ribs brace the tailcone ring against the aft centering ring, relieving the tailcone ring-to-motor tube joint, and the relatively fragile tailcone itself, of compression loads during boost. The goal is to transfer a majority of the force of thrust (at the baseplate of the Aero Pack motor retention body) to the wing and body tubes (where all the weight is) via the ring #1-to-wing tang joint (pushing), with a minority carried by the motor tube-to-wing tang joint (pulling).

In my recycling container JayCoke Zero, I used a stuffer tube as an internal core structure. I had a design flaw that was pointed out to me early in the build, (when still possible to fix). This rocket uses high thrust motors (L3150, M3400), and the failure of a few epoxy joints could allow the core to break free under thrust. To eliminate that failure mode, I physically tied the heavy wings into the core tube via physical structure, not relying entirely on epoxy to carry the load.

Small revision taking place here before cutting the wings. In the original design, the main wings go "thru the wall" to the core (stuffer) tube, and sandwiched between the large centering rings, but only epoxy and glass tape would hold the wings, rings, and bottle to the core tube itself. It was pointed out to me (thanks, Tim) that there is a potential for the core tube to break free under thrust (particularly if using Vmax propellant), leaving the bottle and wings on the pad. This, of course, would be bad. So, I am re-designing the wing tang to continue "thru the wall" into the stuffer tube and up to the motor tube. This will put part of the tang between core rings, so that the weight of the wings will be carried by the thrust plate (core ring #1) to the wing tang directly, not relying on epoxy to carry the load. It should also help on landing, as the swept winglets of the Jayhawk are most likely to touch down first (assuming nominal parachute deployment), so the weight / stress of the remainder of the vehicle will be carried on the tangs and not in the epoxy joint of the wing root.

Last edited:
Sather,

Good stuff and relevant to my own build. Epoxy joints do fail not so much because epoxy isn't "strong" but for its adhesion to the materials of construction.

Feckless Counsel

Sather, you have so many HPR projects going @ approximately the same size--if I did that I know I'd end up gluing the wrong parts together some how, some where :eyepop:

Wow, Tim... you called that correctly. Here I have two identical 30" x 75mm filament wound motor tubes, each with 6 hardwood ribs around the perimeter to support a 4" centering ring / thrust plate on the bottom. The only difference being the length of the ribs, as one gets a fiberglass tailcone and the other gets a straight length of body tube. What could go wrong?

Last night I glued the tailcone on one of the motor tubes. The wrong one. 20 minutes later I start to trial fit the short body tube onto the remaining motor tube and, "Hey, these ribs are too short!". OOOOOPS! Thankfully, I had used JB Weld, ('cause it's thick and wouldn't just dribble out any gaps), and it hadn't cured yet. So, a few minutes of panic and a big mess later, I got the correct pieces on the correct tubes. Whew!

At NIRCON 2012, GuyNoir gave an excellent presentation on workshops - location, recommended tools, organization, etc. Which made me realize... my workshop is a disaster area. So, new project on the horizon. Get this area picked up, organized, and more usable.

IMG_8891.jpg

IMG_8900.jpg

IMG_8908.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8837.jpg
    IMG_8837.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Yep. Although I have four builds in progress right now, three of which are the same airframe size, they all look distinctly different otherwise I'd go crazy :surprised:

Wow, Tim... you called that correctly. Here I have two identical 30" x 75mm filament wound motor tubes, each with 6 hardwood ribs around the perimeter to support a 4" centering ring / thrust plate on the bottom. The only difference being the length of the ribs, as one gets a fiberglass tailcone and the other gets a straight length of body tube. What could go wrong?

Last night I glued the tailcone on one of the motor tubes. The wrong one. 20 minutes later I start to trial fit the short body tube onto the remaining motor tube and, "Hey, these ribs are too short!". OOOOOPS! Thankfully, I had used JB Weld, ('cause it's thick and wouldn't just dribble out any gaps), and it hadn't cured yet. So, a few minutes of panic and a big mess later, I got the correct pieces on the correct tubes. Whew!

Continuing progress on the sustainer's motor mount. Here I have started trimming off the excess 4" extension tube with an abrasive cut-off wheel. The second photo shows the end sanded flush with the aft ring / thrust plate. Third photo is the motor tube with Aero Pack retainer, trial fit into the 5.5" body tube. The core section of the interstage coupler is on the right.

IMG_8939.jpg

IMG_8941.jpg

IMG_8951.jpg

Last edited:
Continuing progress on the booster's motor mount and avionics bay. Here is the previously completed motor mount with centering rings in place. In the second photo, I have added the all-threads which extend up through the avionics bay, and also some wood block stand-offs to hold the av bay's aft bulkhead. In the third picture, the aft bulkhead is in place (temporarily), and the excess length of the all-threads have been trimmed off. The avionics skid has been added in photo #4, showing the POPO switch location. The coupler and forward bulkhead have been added in photo 5. The upper body tube (payload bay) of the booster will be removable, but will stay attached in a normal flight profile. The avionics bay is permanently attached to the lower (motor) section. Recovery of the booster will be by Defy Gravity Tether.

IMG_8887.jpg

IMG_8966.jpg

IMG_8980.jpg

IMG_9003.jpg

IMG_9009.jpg

Last edited:
Continuing progress on the booster's motor mount and avionics bay. Here is the previously completed motor mount with centering rings in place. In the second photo, I have added the all-threads which extend up through the avionics bay, and also some wood block stand-offs to hold the av bay's aft bulkhead. In the third picture, the aft bulkhead is in place (temporarily), and the excess length of the all-threads have been trimmed off. The avionics skid has been added in photo #4, showing the POPO switch location. The coupler and forward bulkhead have been added in photo 5. The upper body tube (payload bay) of the booster will be removable, but will stay attached in a normal flight profile. The avionics bay is permanently attached to the lower (motor) section. Recovery of the booster will be by Defy Gravity Tether.

I very much like the idea of a one piece motor mount/ AV bay, and I know i will use that in the future. Very nice build... and the size cant hurt either:shock:

Back