3+ simultaneous 98mm projects...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, not exact, but similar. I am still playing with it and may go another direction with the fin profile, but we'll see. As far as the fin material, I'm leaning toward the first composite structure shown on this page....

That'll be great! I do have some regrets with the 1/4" G-10... first being the weight. It wasn't as hard as I had feared to cut or bevel, but I didn't fully appreciate how truly heavy they would be. The honeycomb material in your link will make some nice, light fins.

Last edited:
That'll be great! I do have some regrets with the 1/4" G-10... first being the weight. It wasn't as hard as I had feared to cut or bevel, but I didn't fully appreciate how truly heavy they would be. The honeycomb material in your link will make some nice, light fins.

Yes, I have always seen G10 as a somewhat necessary evil. Call me paranoid, but I'm not really a fan of material that develops hidden micro-fractures.

Trying to catch up on my posts. Have made some slow, steady progress on each of several projects. On the Pegasus, I have officially abandoned the tailcone and converted it to a normal, flat aft centering ring. This was a multi step process. The original aft ring sat 1 1/2" up inside the body, to allow room for the tailcone shoulder. Not wanting the nozzle recessed that far, I started by adding a second 1/2" thick ring on 1/2" spacers, to bring the aft surface to only 1/2" up inside the body tube. I then needed to cut off the excess motor tube. For this, I used an abrasive cutoff wheel on an air powered die grinder. To cut the tube close to the flat ring required me to cut it from the inside, but the tube was still long from the original plan for a tailcone, so I had to make 2 passes. The first was from the outside, to get within 1/2" or so from the final cut. The second was from the inside, and as close as I dared get to the aft ring. Final power sanding brought it flush.

IMG_5517.jpg

IMG_5524.jpg

IMG_5535.jpg

IMG_5537.jpg

Last edited:
So, while these two are more or less caught up with each other again, I took the opportunity to trial fit the Aero Pack retainers. The 7.5" Pegasus is the first image, while the 5.5" Isaac Newton (with the stubby tailcone) is the second image.

IMG_5542.jpg

IMG_5554.jpg

Stacked the Pegasus for the first time, to get a perspective on size. It will be 4" taller (the avionics bay band) when complete.

IMG_5568.jpg

You've got some high ceilings my friend.

Thanks. It's a mixed blessing, though. The bad news is that the center part of the house (living room, kitchen, dining room) has a vaulted ceiling, wide open like a barn, which makes it inefficient to heat and cool. The good news is that my better half lets me use the room on a limited basis when I need the extra vertical space. My ultimate goal is to have a setup like Charles Farmer.

IMG_3959.jpg

the astronaut farmer.jpg

Last edited:
Having a little disagreement here over the 7.5" rocket's name. When we laid the keel last fall, everybody was in agreement that Pegasus was acceptable. However, it has recently been brought to my attention that my nine year old daughter was somehow under the mistaken impression that I was naming it after the flying horse in the lame Disney movie "Hercules", while my intention was to name it after the Battlestar commanded by Admiral Cain in the totally awesome re-imagined Galactica series. It really wouldn't matter, except we are getting ready to order vinyl from Stickershock and it changes the motif. I'd put it up for a vote, but I know a lot of you would side with Kelly. Either way, it's gonna fly.

Hercules-Pegasus.jpg

BSG12.jpg

Last edited:
Having a little disagreement here over the 7.5" rocket's name. When we laid the keel last fall, everybody was in agreement that Pegasus was acceptable. However, it has recently been brought to my attention that my nine year old daughter was somehow under the mistaken impression that I was naming it after the flying horse in the lame Disney movie "Hercules", while my intention was to name it after the Battlestar commanded by Admiral Cain in the totally awesome re-imagined Galactica series. It really wouldn't matter, except we are getting ready to order vinyl from Stickershock and it changes the motif. I'd put it up for a vote, but I know a lot of you would side with Kelly. Either way, it's gonna fly.

Why not go with the word "Pegasus" and no art work! Stickershock can make something nice in the font of her choice and the color of yours (or vis-a-versa) !

Why not go with the word "Pegasus" and no art work!

That seems like a reasonable compromise, thank you. I was leaning towards that, also, with a generic "Pegasus" in large letters, and possibly a small BSG sticker on one side and a small winged horse sticker on the other. I'll run that idea by the rules committee when she gets home from school.

Some minor progress on these two G-10 projects. I have learned that I can't (or shouldn't) have so many projects in build at one time, as I have gotten a little behind on the two due to fly in August ("Jaycoke" and the legged lander "Modular Booster"). "Isaac Newton" and "Pegasus" are ahead of schedule and fly later, so their pace will slow a bit over the next few months.

I had cut a 2" band for the 5.5" bay, and a 4" band for the 7.5" bay. I had also cut a 12" body tube extension for the 5.5" Newton's motor section, to fit the longer 98-6GXL case. This step was awaiting a G-10 coupler from Wildman, which I picked up last week. So yesterday was glue 'em together day. I used a few pumps of West Systems epoxy with slow hardener, painted the surfaces to be joined, slid them together, and wiped off as much of the excess as possible. A little light sanding prior to paint and they'll be done. Next step is to glue to extension into the Newton, and assemble the caps for the Pegasus' av bay.

Newton 12%22 extension.jpg

Newton av bay assembled.jpg

Pegasus av bay banded.jpg

Last edited:
Cool...

About the Pegasus (I just rediscovered the thread), I would definitely go with the BSG! That would look awesome.

Cool...

About the Pegasus (I just rediscovered the thread), I would definitely go with the BSG! That would look awesome.

Thanks. What I am leaning towards at this point is BSG font vinyl lettering up the side of the rocket, with Buell Pegasus Decal Motorcycle Stickers on the fins. That should give the illusion of a mythical winged horse motif while still preserving a theme that the real Pegasus could have used. Under Admirable Cain.

Screen shot 2011-04-30 at 8.50.16 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-04-30 at 8.53.31 PM.png

That looks pretty awesome! You'll just have to make another rocket that your daughter can do all of the deco on. :)

That looks pretty awesome! You'll just have to make another rocket that your daughter can do all of the deco on. :)

Thanks. I have let her decorate her own fleet, with some interesting results...

IMG_7668.jpg

Well, the beauty of scratch-building is the ability to change your mind. For me, that's often on a daily basis. I have decided to only extend the Pegasus motor section body for the 98-6GXL casing, but not the Isaac Newton. In the buildup to MidWest Power 9, I let Wildman Tim talk me into getting a 6" Ultimate Wildman, so I will still have two rockets capable of flying the Cesaroni N5800 C-Star, and the Newton can revert back to her original role as an "M" flyer.

The previously assembled 5.5" G-10 extension for Newton was built by epoxying a 12" G-10 coupler inside a 12" G-10 body tube. So as to not waste the material (and money), it will be used as the basis for the transition inter-stage coupler for the upscale SM-3 SeaHawk. I need to add the transition itself (5.5" to 7.5") and a 7.5" coupler to fit into the booster section.

So, the Newton motor section is done, except for the Aero Pack retainer, and I painted it today using DupliColor filler primer. (Thanks to Tim D. for that recommendation.) I was a little surprised by how many tiny pinholes there are on the exterior surface of the Performance G-10 tubing, (but not the McMaster Carr G-10 fins). So, when the paint dries, it'll will need a skim coat of Super Fil.

IMG_5838.jpg

Last edited:
Yowza! The Ultimate Wildman would absolutely cook on the N5800! Mine only weighs about 36lbs.

In the buildup to MidWest Power 9, I let Wildman Tim talk me into getting a 6" Ultimate Wildman

Sucker! :wink:

Just kidding! I seriously considered the MWP9 drag race also--it is a "screaming" deal!

Sucker! :wink:

Just kidding! I seriously considered the MWP9 drag race also--it is a "screaming" deal!

When I considered that I was going to get the case and the motor anyway, the rocket was essentially free. And, I felt the need to complete my set, already having the Wild Child, Wildman Jr, 3" Wildman DD, and 4" Extreme Wildman, all of which came in some variation of the "can't pass it up" bundle of motor and hardware. Unlike most of my other projects, Wildman kits go together quickly.

Last edited:
Yowza! The Ultimate Wildman would absolutely cook on the N5800! Mine only weighs about 36lbs.

That it would - that's only about 3 pounds more than the motor weighs :D

(I weighed my N5800 yesterday)

it'll will need a skim coat of Super Fil.

Or two... I spent the last few days on the Isaac Newton motor section, filling and sanding to get a really smooth surface. After the final coat of grey filler primer was wet sanded, I put a good coat of white primer down, as the top coat is a "low-hiding" paint and looks best over white. "Yellow-Orange" is my favorite - I used to have a car painted this color. Bugs seem to like it too, and a lot of them met their death checking to see if the paint was dry yet. So much for the smooth surface...:cry:

IMG_5854.jpg

IMG_5860.jpeg

Screen shot 2010-11-16 at 3.05.38 PM.png

Last edited:
Sather, you have so many HPR projects going @ approximately the same size--if I did that I know I'd end up gluing the wrong parts together some how, some where

Well, I came close on this one, Tim. When I had planned to extend both of these G-10 rockets for the longer 98-6GXL Cesaroni case, I figured adding a foot to the body would be sufficient. I had cut the 12" extension for the 5.5" Isaac Newton and epoxied it to the 12" coupler, but decided not to extend the Newton after I later bought the 6" Ultimate Wildman. Several weeks pass, and then I decide I need to get working on the 7.5" Pegasus. I had the 12" body tube extension marked and ready to cut, but realized at literally the last minute that it would be too short. Yes, the motor would have fit into the motor section, but the coupler for the 7.5" G-10 is 16" long, not 12", so putting the coupler halfway into the extension would have only left 4" for the shoulder of the avionics bay and I needed 6". I moved my line up another 3" and cut a 15" body extension, epoxied it to the 16" coupler, leaving me 7" to absorb the 6" av bay exposed shoulder. Whew!

Meanwhile, work continues on the forward half of Newton. Here she sits, Aero Pack marked for installation, with the avionics bay and forward payload bay alongside. They need to be drilled for tee nuts and then painted. Her nose cone is still on back order from Wildman, but he has assured me it will be here by mid-august.

IMG_6212.jpg

IMG_6225.jpg

IMG_6229.jpg

Last edited:
I have been a little tied up with the Jaycoke bottle, so progress on these two G-10 projects is a bit slow. I did finally install the Aero Pack retainer body and some decals on the motor section of the Newton, which is basically done. The avionics bay is still awaiting tee nuts to hold the payload bay tube in place, which is next on the agenda. The nose cone is still on back order from Wildman's.

IMG_6334.jpeg

IMG_6337.jpeg

Last edited:
I have been a little tied up with the Jaycoke bottle, so progress on these two G-10 projects is a bit slow.

But still making forward progress. I had hit a minor roadblock with the Aero Pack on the Pegasus. The 98mm version takes a 9/64" allen wrench, which I had previously managed to misplace. After a month of looking, I officially gave up and went to buy a replacement. Of course, you can't get just the one you lost, you have to buy a whole set. To top that off, the 9/64" must be considered an odd size, as it doesn't come with the basic set... I had to get the upgraded full set. Of course, now that I have stopped looking, the old one will turn up.

Anyway, with the new allen wrench in hand, the Aero Pack is now safely attached to the rear centering ring of the Pegasus. I still have to put a fillet on the ring, and glue the body tube extension on the other end. Then the motor section will be ready for sanding, primer, and paint. Stickershock23 made my decals in grey, using the authentic Galactica font, so I am planning a nice satin black for the rocket.

IMG_6372.jpg

IMG_6490.jpg

Last edited:
I ordered (and paid for) two Performance fiberglass 5.5" nose cones on 10 Sep 2009. Almost 2 years ago and still not delivered. Launch of the Isaac Newton at LDRS (if possible) and MWP9 (backup) is dependent on this. LOC/Precision 5.5" nose cones do fit and will be my fall-back option. Hope they can take the heat.

The 7.5" Pegasus has once again almost caught up with Newton. Over the last few days, I put the final fillet on the aft centering ring, and epoxied the 15" body tube extension on the other end of the motor section, now 63" tall. This section is now ready for fill and paint. Assembly of the avionics bay and payload section to go. The good news is that I have the nose cone in hand. I predict she will fly first.

IMG_6533.jpg

IMG_6520.jpg

I ordered (and paid for) two Performance fiberglass 5.5" nose cones on 10 Sep 2009. Almost 2 years ago and still not delivered. Launch of the Isaac Newton at LDRS (if possible) and MWP9 (backup) is dependent on this. LOC/Precision 5.5" nose cones do fit and will be my fall-back option. Hope they can take the heat.

Sorry to take this off-topic, but how the heck is this guy still in business? :mad:

Sorry to take this off-topic, but how the heck is this guy still in business? :mad:

Well, everything he actually produces is good quality, but he did publish a price list that included products without noting they were "planned". In the software business, they used to call this vaporware. (In the 1980's, I liked "FullPaint" so much that I waited for "FullWrite" for a full year before replacing MacWrite with WriteNow, a real product that actually shipped.)

quoting Wikipedia... "Announcing products early—months or years before their release date, also called "preannouncing", has been an effective way by some developers to make their products successful. It can be seen as a legitimate part of their marketing strategy, but is generally not popular with industry press. The first company to release a product in a given market often gains an advantage. It can set the standard for similar future products, attract a large number of customers, and establish its brand before competitor's products are released."

:eyeroll:

Last edited:
After what seems like a month of either sever thunderstorms or 100° weather, it was finally possible to do a little outside work. Here is the Pegasus, with a skim coat of Super Fil in some pinholes, and across the seam where I spliced the two body tubes together. Super Fil is a great product, light yet easy to work with - the consistency of toothpaste or spackle. When it cures, I'll give it a quick once-over wet sand, followed by a guide coat of primer-filler. These steps get repeated as necessary to leave a good base coat for the top coat of satin black.

IMG_6635.jpg

Back