Centuri - (The) Point (KC-13 or #5073) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Another of the Centuri Engeneering funny recovery mostly cardstock models was "the Point". Kicking the empty motor casing out of the Aeroshell body to dangle below in of a short shock cord the models Cardstock cone shaped body became the Chute. For the most part it worked LOL!!! Downscaled to micro-maxx size it still works just like the full size 18mm motor model. We can now clone this model or get a repo kit for Semiroc.
Had an original, both current flying models are clones.

The Point-1-sm_1st Fleet b&w_04-15-72.jpg

421-sm_The Point (Centuri)_08-07-99.jpg

MM 232b2-sm_the Point_End of Flight_07-07-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Centuri - (The) Point (KC-13 or #5073) Gallery Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Centuri - (The) Point (KC-13 or #5073) Gallery and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Centuri: The Point: KC-13 or #5073
McCoy's Micro Wonder Works: (Centuri) The Point: #232
Semroc: Point: KV-58

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Centuri (The) Point (KC-13 or #5073) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

The Point

KC-13 or #5073

Introduced: 1969
Final Year: 1976
Designer: Doug Malewicki

Type: Oddroc
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Pseudo Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 8.1"
Diameter: 3.9"
Span: 3.9"
Weight: 0.55 oz

Mfg. Description: This brand new easy-to-assemble "finless" rocket really flies! Learn about rocket stability by building and flying the POINT. Kit comes with colorful pre-painted body skin and astronaut cockpit. Unusual body shape acts as its own rigid parachute for sure, safe recovery every flight. Use B4-2 engine only. (Centuri 1969 Catalog)

=====

Absolutely Amazing! Finless rocket really flies -- and beautifully, too. The unusual rigid chute formed by the body skin provides unusual recovery. Study rocket stability by building and flying the Point. Kit comes with colorful, pre-painted body skin and handsome astronaut cockpit. Sure, safe recovery every flight. Use B4-2 engine only. (Centuri 1970 Christmas Catalog)

=====

1971 Catalog text identical to 1969 Catalog

centrui-the%20point-1969%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1969 Catalog
centrui-the%20point-1970%20xmas%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1970 Christmas Catalog

centrui-the%20point-1971%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1971 Catalog

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
MMWW (Centuri) The Point (#232) Basic Information.

MMWW.gif
McCoy's Micro Wonder Works (MMWW)

(Centuri) The Point

Introduced: 2000
Final Year:
Designer: John McCoy

Type: Oddroc, Downscale
Motor Mount: 1x6mm
Recovery: Rigid Parachute
Length: 3.125"
Diameter: 1-31/64"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: Micro Maxx Kc-13 The Point 1:3818 downscale (plan)

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
It was a long winter here in MI and I guess I was a building machine.

Here are some more completed projects.

Semroc Point, Odd'l Rockets Wedgie, Estes Xarconian Cruiser, and Semroc Mars Lander.

All were a lot of fun to build and will fly soon.

PIX:

Cheers!!

Post copied to gallery with permission

Last edited by a moderator:
Semroc (KV-58) Basic Basic Information.

semroc.gif
Semroc Astronautics

MODEL NAME: Point Also known as: The Point, The Amazing Point

NUMBER: KV-58

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer: Doug Malewicki

Type: Oddroc, Clone
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Conical Drag
Length: 8.6" (21.8 cm)
Diameter: 3.9" (9.9 cm)
Span: 3.9" (9.9 cm)
Weight: 0.4 oz (11.3 g)

Mfg. Description: 1969 Retro Repro (2013 Semroc Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

semroc-poin%20kv58-2007%20web.jpg
2007 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

semroc-poin%20kv58-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

semroc-poin%20kv58-instr%201.jpg

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
I had one back in the day, and decided to clone one a couple months ago. First flew it last month but missed it at take off. Flew again today...caught it this time!

DSC_6143.jpg

DSC_6145.jpg

I just ordered this kit from eRockets.biz last night. I also ordered the {Centuri} Space Shuttle, which is the MAIN THING that I wanted. I've been interested in The Point since I first saw it in a Centauri catalog. I figure the Point will give me something to fly while I am building the shuttle...LOL

I'll post pics after I assemble it!

Is the yellow one a tetrahedron?

EDIT: FWIW, I just looked-up the Wedgie on the JonRocket website, and realized I HAVE seen photos of this kit before. Seeing one with the "NAR" logo on it triggered my memory.

I have a "thing" for tetrahedrons and space frame structures. Tetrshedron kites are one of my favorite types of kites....

Last edited:
I had one back in the day, until I tried to launch it with the bottom completely flush with a large blast plate. That’s when it became a demonstration of the whole Bernoulli principle and Radial Momentum thing; effectively holding it down on the launch pad while the thrust built up and all the exhaust heat mostly being contained inside the paper cone...yeah....

Um... ouch. Haven't launched mine yet, but I was already concerned about that.

I had one back in the day, until I tried to launch it with the bottom completely flush with a large blast plate. That’s when it became a demonstration of the whole Bernoulli principle and Radial Momentum thing; effectively holding it down on the launch pad while the thrust built up and all the exhaust heat mostly being contained inside the paper cone...yeah....

My first original Centuri Point launch had the same results - the 3" Estes blast deflector pretty much matched the bottom of the Point. It stayed on the launcher and was badly burned.
You do have to raise it up off a flat, round blast deflector plate.
Maybe that's why Centuri recommended using their launchers with the angled blast deflector!

Semroc Point clone. Shroud, "fins", and nose cone from eRockets.
Instructions from old Semroc website.
0131200902.jpg
The motor casing is retained at ejection with a tether, and the cone acts as a "rigid chute".
Note slight scorching on the inside of the cone .
0131200902a.jpg

Back