SCALE - (Sandia) D-Region Tomahawk Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aerotech IQSY Tomahawk (#89014) Basic Information.

aerotech.gif
Aetrotech Consumer Aerospace

MODEL NAME: IQSY Tomahawk Also known as:

NUMBER: #89014

Introduced: 1989
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Scale
Motor Mount: 1x29mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 41"
Diameter: 1.9"
Span:
Weight: 11oz

Mfg. Description: A detailed scale model of a sounding rocket used for scientific studies. The blueprint that comes with the kit shows scale details and color patterns. (Aerotech 1990 Catalog)

=====

A detailed scale model of a sounding rocket used for scientific studies. If you've never built a scale model before, the TOMAHAWK is a great place to start. The blueprint that comes with the kit shows scale details and color patterns. This rocket turns in beautiful flights. (Aerotech 1992 Catalog)

=====

If you have never built a scale model before, the Tomahawk makes the perfect first project. Loaded with striking detail and E, F, and G power capable, this is one scale model that flies like a real sounding rocket. (Aerotech 2013 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

aerotech-iqsy%20tomahawk%2089014-1990%20cat.jpg
1990 Catalog
aerotech-iqsy%20tomahawk%2089014-1992%20cat.jpg
1992 Catalog

aerotech-iqsy%20tomahawk%2089014-2013%20web.jpg
2013 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

aerotech-iqsy%20tomahawk%2089014-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Centuri Tomahawk (KC-40 or #5100) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

MODEL NAME: Tomahawk Also known as:

NUMBER: KC-40 or #5100

Introduced: 1968
Final Year: 1975
Designer:

Type: Scale, Payload
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 20"
Diameter: 0.906"
Span:
Weight: 1.15 oz

Mfg. Description: One-tenth scale operating model of the single-stage sounding rocket built by Astro-Met division of Thiokol Chemical Corporation. TOMAHAWK is an excellent beginner scale model. Use bonus payload capsule to carry insects or monitoring devices to high altitudes and return them safely by parachute. "Scale Substantiation Data" sheet showing specifications plus photo of real Tomahawk included. (Centuri 1969 Catalog)

=====

One-tenth scale operating model of the single-stage sounding rocket built by Astro-Met division of Thiokol Chemical Corporation. TOMAHAWK is an excellent beginner scale model. Use bonus payload capsule to carry insects or measuring devices devices to high altitudes and return them safely by parachute. "Scale Substantiation Data" sheet showing specifications plus photo of real Tomahawk included. (Centuri 1971 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

centuri-tomahawk%20kc40-1969%20cat.jpg
1969 Catalog
centuri-tomahawk%20kc40-1971%20cat.jpg
1971 Catalog

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:

Not a whole lot to write. This was my last 'Wet' F39-9 reload. The dude I bought them from had had the packaging get wet. And these were quite old to begin with. I'd found the other two had delays that when way long even when drilled. So I drilled this one more like a F39-4. It still was a tad long... but not a drama queen! It's beginning to look a tad worse for wear...

8666480557_64fdbe8208_b.jpg

Took off like a bat outta you know where and I was too close... so this is the only shot I got.

8667583118_60ed804079_b.jpg

The Adept ALTIM-1 beeped out 906' (276m). Recover was good.

Attached are a few more of my Aerotech IQSY Tomahawk. The first with a CTI F30-6 WT long burn and the second with a Aerotech F24-7.

2012-11-24-MDARS-0125.jpg 2012-12-22-MDARS-0082.jpg

Last edited:
Here we are! After many months and learning and trying to fit in rocketry to a hectic schedule I've finally finished my first two rockets.

An Estes D Region Tomahawk and an Estes V2.

My Tomahawk carries a DIY half moon baffle system in the coupler, with kevlar and a snap swivel attachment to an upgraded 24inch chute, and my V2 is mostly stock but again with a kevlar shock cord and snap swivel chute attachment.

I found the building of these two very easy, considering they are my first builds. Balsa was a bit of a learning curve in the V2, and wasn't aware of coating or filling techniques till it was too late. Therefore I have some weak fins and you can see the grain through the paint, but a lesson learned.

I found painting the hardest, with the Tomahawk my first Guinea pig. Poor thing, not enough patience and some cold conditions cracked the paint, and I only used Tamiya masking tape on the edges instead of all over so the paint seaped through the cheap masking tape I was using for bigger areas. This left me having to do this black and red scheme as to hide the ruined white surface underneath. Nevermind!

My fillets leave a lot to be desired on the V2, and I tripped over one day and snapped a fin but managed to repair it okay. I'm sure my fillets will be better next time. What is best to use for fillets?

My oh my was that black and white test patter hard to paint, but for my second ever try it came out surprisingly well! The masking gave me a headache but the Tamiya tape gave me neat clean lines, and I only mucked up a few times, barely noticeable from this distance.

Now I finally get to launch them the weekend after next! Thanks everyone for the help they put in to me starting out in rocketry, I'm now ordering a Mini HoJo to continue my scale collection!

View attachment 130079

Post copied to gallery with permission

Attachments

• IMG_20130520_165508.jpg
    IMG_20130520_165508.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_0047_s.jpg
My 2.6" IQSY Tomahawk, about to fly on an H128.

IMG_0050_s.jpg
Me and my 4" IQSY Tomahawk same day, about to take flight on a J340.

Are these scratch or kits? If kits, which one?

The 2.6" kit is scratch-built. The 4", I'm pretty certain, was a Yank kit.

I'm gathering parts together right now for a 3.1" model to fly on a J90.

Here is a picture of a 35mm Photograph from 1988 of my Estes D-Region Tomahawk.
Sadly lost to a low flying Cloud. She simply went into it and never came out.:confused2:
Was one of my Favorite rockets to fly back in the day. I should probably build another.
Painted my Body Tube silver.
My D-Region Tomahawk 003.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a picture of a 35mm Photograph from 1988 of my Estes D-Region Tomahawk.
Sadly lost to a low flying Cloud. She simply went into it and never came out.:confused2:
Was one of my Favorite rockets to fly back in the day. I should probably build another.
Painted my Body Tube silver.
View attachment 253561

ETA: Build in progress, and I'm going to order one of the new, now discontinued Estes Models too.
After those, if I'm not satiated, there will be a BT-80 Upscale on the drawing board.;)

ETA: Just got the newer Estes Version. I wish they did not discontinue this one. I'll have to keep my eyes open for deals on another, as I really like the quality of the plastic components.
T-Hawk and Centuri 002.jpg

D-Region T-Hawk Almost Done 2015-04-13 003.jpg

DRT Nose Paint 2015-05-03 002.jpg

Last edited:
This is clearly the WORST GALLERY EVER!!!
The title clearly states the name of the rocket as the D-Region, and then everyone puts their ISQY tomahawk in here.
I'm going to do a Tomahawk Cruise Missile model and come post it in this gallery.

Well, the moderator that established the gallery indicated from the start that both D-Region and ISQY Tomahawk models are gathered here. As I understand, they are related designs, whereas the cruise missile is not. Probably the title should be updated to reflect that.

If I'm not mistaken, the newer kit has a lot more detail courtesy of molded plastic parts. The fins, fin can, and nose cone are all pretty highly detailed for the size. I think the older kit was much more traditional in terms of build layout, though I've never had my hands on one to be certain. I have built the newer one, as shown earlier in this thread, and found that it was a kit that was easy to build and get scale detail due to the effort Estes went through tooling it. I'd like to build another to replace my treed one if I can find a good deal on the kit...

Well, the moderator that established the gallery indicated from the start that both D-Region and ISQY Tomahawk models are gathered here. As I understand, they are related designs, whereas the cruise missile is not. Probably the title should be updated to reflect that.

I was just pokin' fun.
Yeah, I think the Title should be updated too, as there is currently no ISQY Tomahawk Gallery.

Thanks to Kyle, it seems as if I will be doing a study of DRT Kits similar to what I did with the Estes Crossfire.
29mm DRT and Two stage 29X2 to 29 Nike Tomahawk sort of to follow.:)

2DRTs 2015-05-14 001.jpg

Last edited:
Just completed my Estes #2037 D-Region Tomahawk. It was built stock and weighs 9.8oz without motor. Even with my average paint skills, this is a real stunner. I think it is one of the finest kits Estes has ever produced. I recently bought a second kit but now I want even more backups. I plan to maiden this next month.

20150712_145610.jpg

20150712_145340.jpg

20150712_145638.jpg

20150712_145631.jpg

Just completed my Estes #2037 D-Region Tomahawk. It was built stock and weighs 9.8oz without motor. Even with my average paint skills, this is a real stunner. I think it is one of the finest kits Estes has ever produced. I recently bought a second kit but now I want even more backups. I plan to maiden this next month.
Free Time Hobbies has them for 19.99 and showing 5 in stock.

Finished my D-Region Tomahawk 2037 Estes kit this past weekend. Agree with all - detail and tooling is great on this kit. Curious to see how well it flies and stays together - I've heard the fins have a tendency to pop off. I used super-glue in place of model cement. Hope to fly it before it gets too cold. Weighed 9.92 oz without engine.

D-Region Tomahawk.jpg

Finished my D-Region Tomahawk 2037 Estes kit this past weekend. Agree with all - detail and tooling is great on this kit. Curious to see how well it flies and stays together - I've heard the fins have a tendency to pop off. I used super-glue in place of model cement. Hope to fly it before it gets too cold. Weighed 9.92 oz without engine.

View attachment 273293

You'll be alright, then. For some reason, they just won't bond to model cement. Mine flew beautifully well, until I launched it in too small of a field and lost it on a roof. I was afraid to knock on the door and say, "I lost a rocket on your roof. Can I climb up there and get it?"

View attachment 273293

Launched my first flight with this one this weekend - my first D launch ever. Loved the slow steady liftoff with the D12-5, however the 5 seconds felt more like 30...chute popped way to close to the ground for my comfort. D12-3s from now on in this baby (or E9-6s). One of my fins popped off after touchdown - no damage and glued it back on with Super Glue. Looking forward to the next flight!

Back