Centuri - Orion (KC-8 or #5068) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A really nifty looking design from the 70's the Centuri Kc-8 Orion was an often flown "C6" powered model from 1st Fleet. Sorry for the lone b&w pic but times were tight back then;)

I'm one of those who just can't seem to bring myself to copy the color scheme on the package. Even back then my 1st Orion was Painted Silver rather then the pictured white.

The model was lost to a Break-in but I had a second kit stuffed away for many years. Orion #2 Actually New Fleet model #472 was intended to follow the same pattern. This time I also switched the motor mount for a 24mm D12 option that I didn't think of the first time around. Since Black base make silver paint pop. I tried a new copper metal flake rustoleum midnight black base fully intending on overcoating it with their Metallic Silver. but after seeing the Black/copper sparkle in the sunlight I couldn't bring myself to completely cover it opting instead to silver only the corrugation, fins & tip.
This color change also ment I had to redraw and print new color combination Decals. All in all I think it turned out pretty good and she really HONKS on a D12-3 or 5

While I was at it I had to downscale the Orion for Micro Power in a BT-5 body size. this one I did manage to make myself paint completely silver but is was a tussle LOL!
Regardless of size the Orion is a great looking and flying model.

Orion-a-sm_Centuri complete_05-16-72.jpg

472p12-sm_Orion (Kc-8) Decaled & Complete_02-10-08.jpg

472Lp02a-sm_Orion Kc-8 D12 2nd flt on pad_06-21-08.jpg

472Lp02b-sm_Orion D12 Lift-Off perfect 2nd Flt_06-21-08.jpg

MM 348-sm_MM Orion T5-Kc-8_07-14-08.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for starting this thread, John.

How could I forget about the Centuri Orion. While I did not get an actual Centuri Orion in my collection until about ten years ago, it is a truely 'classic' kit design in every sense of the word.

For NARAM-48 I built a Neubauer Orion II, which is an upscale 2.6" diameter model. My timing was good as the founders of Centuri, Lee & Betty Piester, attending NARAM-48. I asked Lee to pose for pictures with the Orion II and a picture of me with the Orion II made the cover of Sport Rocketry magazine.

I've only flown it once, on an AeroTech E15-4W motor. Nice flight. :)

NARAM-48 The Orion II and I.jpg

N48 Lee Piester holding my Neubauer Orion II model.jpg

N48 Neubauer Orion II Liftoff.jpg

Thanks for starting this thread, John.

How could I forget about the Centuri Orion. While I did not get an actual Centuri Orion in my collection until about ten years ago, it is a truely 'classic' kit design in every sense of the word.

For NARAM-48 I built a Neubauer Orion II, which is an upscale 2.6" diameter model. My timing was good as the founders of Centuri, Lee & Betty Piester, attending NARAM-48. I asked Lee to pose for pictures with the Orion II and a picture of me with the Orion II made the cover of Sport Rocketry magazine.

I've only flown it once, on an AeroTech E15-4W motor. Nice flight. :)

Bob IIRC that first picture reminds of a Sport Rocketry cover. :)

Greg

Welcome to the Centuri - Orion (KC-8 or #5068) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Centuri - Orion (KC-8 or #5068) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Centuri: Orion: KC-8 or #5068
McCoy's Micro Wonder Works (MMWW): Orion: #348
Neubauer Rockets: Orion II:
Semroc: Baby Orion: KA-31

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Centuri Orion (KC-8 or #5068) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

Orion

KC-8 or #5068

Introduced: 1971
Final Year: 1977
Designer: Larry Brown

Type: Sport
Motor Mount:
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 22.5"
Diameter: 2.04"
Span:
Weight: 4.5 oz

Mfg. Description: The ORION is one of the largest single engine sports rockets available. Loaded with detail from end to end, the ORION is one of the most impressive rockets you could ever build. Featuring single engine power, Baffle Ejection System, engine lock and parachute recovery, the ORION is as great on the launch pad as it is on the display stand. Kit includes complete detailing parts, simulated exhaust nozzle and illustrated instructions. (Centuri 1971 Catalog)

centuri-orion-1971%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1971 Catalog
centuri-orion-1972%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1972 Catalog
centuri-orion-1975%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1975 Catalog

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
MMWW Orion (#348) Basic Information.

MMWW.gif
McCoy's Micro Wonder Works (MMWW)

(Centuri) Orion

Introduced: 2008
Final Year:
Designer: John McCoy

Type: Sport, Exotic, Downscale
Motor Mount: 1x6mm
Recovery: Streamer
Length: 6.104"
Diameter: 0.544"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: Kc-8 Orion T-5 Downscale (plan)

mmww-(centuri)%20orion%20348-plan.jpg
Plan Image

mmww-(centuri)%20orion%20348-facecard.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Neubauer Rockets Orion II Basic Information.

neubauer.gif
Neubauer Rockets

Orion II

NUMBER

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport/Upscale
Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Recovery:
Stages:
Length: 27.25"
Diameter: 2.6"
Span:
Weight: 8 oz.

Mfg. Description: A upscaled clone of the classic Centuri kit, this Orion II features:
• 2.6" Balsa nose cone
• Vacuum formed body wrap
• Vinyl decal
• Laser cut fins
• Six resin cast side pod nose cones
• 24 mm motor mount
• Bonus Vinyl decal added (Neubauer 2011 Web Ad)

neubauer-orion%20ii-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
Neubauer 2011 Web Ad

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
I've just started the Semroc
Baby
ORION
on my building blog at:
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com

A nozzle will be added to the 13mm engine mount and all the little details to the wraps.
Later in the build I'll show how to mask and spray paint just the upper half of the nose cone.

Lots of new curves on this one. Stop by and build along!

Post copied to gallery with permission

Baby Orion H 004_WEB.jpg

Semroc Baby Orion (KA-31) Basic Information.

semroc.gif
Semroc Astronautics

MODEL NAME: Baby Orion

NUMBER: KA-31

Introduced: 2011
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Exotic, Downscale
Motor Mount: 1x13mm
Recovery: Parachute
Length: 11.3" (28.7 cm)
Diameter: 1.04" (2.6 cm)
Span: 3.7" (9.4 cm)
Weight: 0.6 oz (17.3 g)

Mfg. Description: DESC

Advertising Liveries

semroc-baby%20orion-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
Semroc 2011 Web Ad

Face Card

semroc-baby%20orion-facecard.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Here's my scratch version. A 2x upscale I built a couple years back. It has flown on a G-80.

DSCN0508.jpg

Here are a few pics of the Orion I am offering as a kit from FSI. The casting of the nose cone is still being engineered but I am including a balsa nose cone for now. The body wraps are resin castings. The pod nose cones are resin castings. The motor tube is a 24mm for better power. The fins and pod stand offs are precut balsa. There are no decals yet. There is no baffle as I don't feel it is needed. The rest is the same!

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I Loved the Orion since my first one back in 73, but it always seems just a little truncated to me.

I started thinking about doing a "Block 2" version, inspired by the current SLS plans, and I finally got around to doing it.

Since it was a derivative, and not a clone, I used different body wraps, because I gave up on replacing the originals. This uses the Apogee Saturn V Third stage ones.

done.JPG

Here's mine. The ridges in the wraps were very shallow but decided to proceed anyway. Fun build, but lots of little balsa "do-dads" to deal with.
This was kit #KV-41.

Orion pic 1.jpg

Back