Astron Farside, motor suggestions solicitated

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
I bought this one some time back, built it, then chickened out of launching it,(I wanted to get it back). so it has sat...now that I have access to a lot more eyes to track it, I'm thinking about launching it. any suggestions as per a 1st launch motor combo that wont put it in orbit? thanks
rex

farside 001.jpg

I bought this one some time back, built it, then chickened out of launching it,(I wanted to get it back). so it has sat...now that I have access to a lot more eyes to track it, I'm thinking about launching it. any suggestions as per a 1st launch motor combo that wont put it in orbit? thanks
rex

Estes B6-0 (higher average thrust than Quest B6-0) to Quest B6-0 to Quest A6-4.

Estes B6-0 (higher average thrust than Quest B6-0) to Quest B6-0 to Quest A6-4.

Completely agree with Fred!

Also be very sure to have at least 3 pair of eyes with you...perferably more. I can tell you even with this very low powered motor combo the thing really gets up there in a hurry. Whom ever is responsible for the second stage generally has the hardest time with recovery.
the Astron Farside was my First multi-stager as well... it's a great little performer. The reason my second Astron Farside was a 4-stager was I only got back the 1st stage from the first flight LOL!!!

Astron Farside-a-sm_1st Fleet 3-stage_04-03-71.jpg

Astron FarSide-b-sm_1st Fleet 4 stage ver_06-03-72.jpg

Last edited:
thank you for the suggestion. the astron avenger was my 1st staged rocket, alas the years were not as kind to it, last time I launched the avenger it was a B14 > C6-7...the sustainer mmt didn't take kindly to the B14's thrust curve.

I have not built this one but I did do the similar Semroc Cyber III. It took a long while to get the nerve to launch it in 3 stage configuration. When I did, it was B6-0/B6-0/A8-5. I lost the sustainer but think I may have gotten it back if I had settled for a 1/2A6-2. The ejection would have been early but I might still have the top too.

Good luck.

I flew mine on B3-0 to B.8-0 to B.8-6 but they haven't made them for 40+ years have they - dang I'm getting old:y:

As other have mentioned, B to B to B (or A) seems to be the most optimal combination with motors that are currently being produced. It's counterintuitive, but in simulations, B boosters clearly outperform C boosters in 3-stage rockets. There are a couple of reasons for this. First of all, weight is the big enemy here. The first stage booster has to be able to lift the dead weight of the second and third stages, and their respective motors. An Estes C6-0 has a higher peak thrust than their B6-0, but a 3-stager suffers more from the increased weight than it gains from the increased peak thrust. But an even bigger issue is revealed if you look at their respective thrust curves:

https://www.nar.org/SandT/pdf/Estes/B6.pdf
https://www.nar.org/SandT/pdf/Estes/C6.pdf

A booster motor has two very simple jobs; first, to deliver all of its thrust quickly, and second, to ignite the next stage and then get the heck out of the way as soon as possible after it burns out.

As you can see, the B6 booster delivers a peak thrust of 12.14 Newtons, which is almost 2 Newtons less than the C6-0. But now look at the burn times. The B6 booster is over and done with in 0.86 seconds, while the C6 lingers on for another full second with a low-thrust tail-off. The type of thrust profile exhibited by the C6 booster is murder on a multi-stage rocket, especially one with 3 stages. In a 3-stager, the first stage booster is waging a life or death struggle with inertia and gravity, giving its all just to get the rocket moving and heading upward. Then the second stage takes over and does the real boosting. If the first stage motor is a C6-0, it delivers a nice kick at the start, but then prances around the ring, soaking up the applause of the crowd before burning out and lighting the second stage. If you are first stage booster motor, in your death match with gravity you cannot afford to give your opponent an inch. But that's exactly what the C6-0 motor does. The less muscular B6 booster wins the match by delivering its kick right away and then immediately handing things over to its tag team partner, the second stage booster. Working together, they deliver a much more devastating one-two punch, which sends gravity right down onto the mat. The B6 is much more of a team player than its muscle-bound cousin the C6 is, and in this contest, superior teamwork always wins.

Last edited:
rex
Hmm, I like the B14-0 -> A8-0 -> 1/2A6-4 combo. ;)

Hmm, I like the B14-0 -> A8-0 -> 1/2A6-4 combo. ;)

Back in about 74, my Mouse-tranaut, in the FarsideX attempted a B14-0, B14-0, B14-5. Earl will live on in mine, and my brothers memory. I rebuilt the payload bay, and haven't launched it since.

Back in about 74, my Mouse-tranaut, in the FarsideX attempted a B14-0, B14-0, B14-5. Earl will live on in mine, and my brothers memory. I rebuilt the payload bay, and haven't launched it since.
The g forces that he experienced must have been brutal. Yet he probably spent very little time in the centrifuge beforehand. It is unlikely that he had any input regarding the cabin design, never got to speak at a press conference, didn't get to design his own patch or choose a name for his spacecraft, didn't have his official portrait picture taken and may not have even been briefed about the flight plan either. And his family may not have received a call from the President or were given passes so that they could view the launch from the VIP Section. Poor Earl!

Back