It's...dead...I CAN'T BELIEVE IT

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPscaler

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My deuce was killed in action today, when only one motor lit. It worked fine earlier in the day with quest Q2G2's but the Estes igniters just wouldn't work.

My dad's deuce did the same thing, but his landed in a softer spot, so it's okay.

pictures to come...

You fly with the cluster and you crash with the cluster.

No matter how well prepared you are, no matter how good your launch system is, no matter how good of an igniter you use, igniting a cluster is always a dicey proposition. So much more can go wrong and failures are usually more destructive. With a single motor set-up, if you get a failed ignition, the rocket just sits there. When you get a failed ignition with a cluster, well, you saw what happens. I've been there too.

When you use clusters, successes are spectacular, and failures are... spectacular. You have to keep trying, though. Sorry to hear about your Deuce.

any chance of a pic of the wreckage?

sorry to hear about your loss.

Ouch - I'm sorry to hear about that. Usually, Deuces fly fine on a single motor, but if the igniter clips hang on for the first part of the ride, they can pull it sideways, which is probably what happened to you.

Ouch - I'm sorry to hear about that. Usually, Deuces fly fine on a single motor, but if the igniter clips hang on for the first part of the ride, they can pull it sideways, which is probably what happened to you.

Most likely. There was some wind too. I think the wires must have touched and shorted one of the igniters.

You mentioned that your Dad's Deuce had the same problem? Could this have been non-coincidental?

Sorry to hear about your Deuce :( but as others have posted it just means you will have to build a new one. ;)

My Deuce has flown on one motor a couple of times when one motor has failed to light but it has always just ended up a low flight and recovered OK, I have been lucky I guess. They do look good when both motors light!

Hmmm....I have some Quest Q2G2 igniters and have never used them, I'll try them in my next LPR cluster instead of the Estes igniters. :)

I had a deuce fly this last weekend on one motor, when only C6-5 one lit, even using Q2G2 igniters! Flew straight up. Turns out the igniter fired fine, but there was a bit of clay covering the BP. Your Deuce is repairable, should you choose to do it - I've seen birds worse than that brought back to life. Its kind of a challenge to me to get crashed birds like this flying again.

My deuce was killed in action today, when only one motor lit. It worked fine earlier in the day with quest Q2G2's but the Estes igniters just wouldn't work.

My dad's deuce did the same thing, but his landed in a softer spot, so it's okay.

pictures to come...

You know what they say, if you love something, fly it, and if it really loves you, it will come back. It obviously didn't care for you.

clearly :p

now my patriot built with only white glue on an E9-8 loved me. Maybe something bigger next time.

Don't feel TOO bad, all of my rockets have left me, except for my trusty ramjet...

I never care for any rocket named "Patriot" mostly because I am a Jets fan.

Don't feel TOO bad, all of my rockets have left me, except for my trusty ramjet...

I never care for any rocket named "Patriot" mostly because I am a Jets fan.
You probably wouldn't like my Viking then, either.

I had a deuce fly this last weekend on one motor, when only C6-5 one lit, even using Q2G2 igniters! Flew straight up. Turns out the igniter fired fine, but there was a bit of clay covering the BP. Your Deuce is repairable, should you choose to do it - I've seen birds worse than that brought back to life. Its kind of a challenge to me to get crashed birds like this flying again.

BINGO! I find repairing damaged rockets to be far more satisfying (and challenging) than building new rockets :) You *learn* more too!

Oh man. That's just *cold*! LOL

ALL of my rockets love me. Even the ones that don't come back! :)

Of course, when we lose our rockets they all float over to your house, model rockets were made by you for you to love and serve you.

Back