Wildman Wild Child & DarkStar 'mini's all glass are here!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackjack2564

Crazy Jim's Gone Banana's
Reaction score
The "Wild Child" scaled down mini of the original Wildman rocket series.
The DarkStar "mini" scaled down version of the DarkStar series rocket kits.

All fiberglass,even the CR's. 38mm body tube, 29mm motor mount, 30in.[76cm] tall.

These are light weight spiral wound G-12 tubes. Von Karmen nose cones [same as used in the updated Mongoose 38's]
Complete with Kevlar shock cord and premium quality Topflight nylon 15 in. chutes.

They weigh 1lb [454gr] completed [DarkStar a tad heavier due to 6 fins 466gr]and painted ready to fly. I tested them on E-20-4, F-39-7 F-42-7, last one had a Pico Blackhawk altimeter [weighs 2.8gr with battery 40.00] and went 782 ft. The E-20 is an iffy flight only about 200ft, and not on a windy day.

Cost 65.00 US complete! Finally an all glass Midpower kits for the masses

They will also handle larger 29mm motors, have not had a chance to fly them on the big boys yet.

Build with 5-30 minute epoxy traditional method or the new "Foam & Fly" Wildman method which I will show you in the next few days. The instructions are finished and will be posted on Wildmans site in the next few days: https://www.wildmanrocketry.com/
I will update the link when they are posted.

Questions welcomed.

100_8336.jpg

mini dark star.jpg

mini me 001.jpg

Last edited:
How to build a rocket the "Wildman" Foam and Fly way in 30 minutes!
You've seen him do it with foam & wire ties, now the latest version!

It'll take me longer to post the build than to actually do it!

File notch on CR for shock cord.

Sand entire MM tube. That's ALL the sanding required! [unless you wish to bevel the fins]
Slide ring over Kevlar shock cord and tack both on with CA. Put remaining shock cord in MM tube to keep it out of the way.

Put 2 tape tabs on other CR so you can remove it to foam the fincan.

ICBM, Orangeburg, SC USA
Quad Cities, Princeton, Illinois

100_7756.jpg

100_8243.jpg

100_7965.jpg

Jim.. these are simply awesome, I saw them at MWP. they are small, but tough.

you could fly them on "E" motors all day long or blast them on a "H"

I already have the MINI available on the website.. the Wildchild will be added as soon as I can!

another FINE product from Wildman!!

Place rear CR on with tape tabs. Make sure it is loose enough to come off easily when you pull the tabs. Do not glue it on.

Slide assembly in, keep shock cord BETWEEN fin slots or fins won't go in.

Put a few drops of Ca on bottom of fin,place in slot, and align it.

100_8267.jpg

100_8265.jpg

100_8273.jpg

Last edited:
Oops!
Don't be an idiot like me and glue a fin to your hand. Last month I super-glued my phone to my head! but that's another story & a VERY short haircut! [yes it was alcohol related]

Let's try this again. Ca fin bottom

Insert into airframe and align.

Repeat for other fins.

100_8271.jpg

100_8272.jpg

100_8291.jpg

The "Wild Child" scaled down mini of the original Wildman rocket series.
The DarkStar "mini" scaled down version of the DarkStar series rocket kits.
I like the items that you placed in the first photo to indicate the scale. Very apt. What were the actual dimensions again?

I'm going to have to pick up one (or both) of these! I need to start flying smaller stuff. I've been burning through J's at an alarming pace lately. My wallet needs a break. :)

For 6 fin DarkStar. Do the bottom 3 first.

Then use chip clips, clamps, cloths pins etc, to hold a Popsicle stick or similar straight edge to perfectly align the upper 3.
Or what ever you can find handy while enjoying your favorite beverage!

100_3930.jpg

Picture 6_2.jpg

When using the CA to tack fins on: be careful NOT to get any on the rear CR! Don't tilt the airframe towards the rear CR so the superglue can run along a fin edge and glue the CR in! Use the Ca sparingly. Only need a drop or 2 per fin. This is just to hold the motor mount tube in position, then you pull out the rear centering ring, so you can pour in foam.

Now carefully remove the rear centering ring by gently pulling on the tape tabs. Then tape end of motor mount so no foam gets inside.[pic of DarkStar, same for Wild Child]

file.jpg

file-1.jpg

Prop up the airframe in the vertical position to hold steady while filling with 2-part foam.

It takes 30ml [or cc, they are the same]of foam to fill the fincan, 15ml of part A and 15ml of part B. You must work fast,once you start mixing, the foam will begin to rise in 45 seconds to 1 minute depending on the temperature. Cut tip of syringe so you have a larger hole to work with if yours has a tiny one. Don't cut off too much, it still must fit between the airframe and motor mount tube.

Remove the plunger. Cover the hole in tip with one finger and pour the mixed foam into the syringe, about ¾ full, place plunger back into hypo & inject into the spaces between the fins. You will have to remove plunger and refill to use it all. Do NOT try and suck the foam up into the syringe with the plunger, you will have a mess! Let sit till the foam expands and fill all the space around the fins. It will probably expand out the end and out some of the spaces around the fin slots. This IS normal. Do not try to wipe it off or stop it. Let the process run it's course. Usually about 10-15 minutes before full cure depending on temperature.

Once the foam has finished expanding & cured, the excess can be scraped off and residue easily sanded off.

Fincan vertical ready for foam.

file.jpg

Add 15 ml part A foam.

Add 15 ml part B foam.

Mix for 30-40 seconds rapidly till it looks like coffee & cream.

file.jpg

file-1.jpg

file-2.jpg

Let foam rise and set for 30-40 minutes.

When cured it will be easy to scrape or cut off excess and sand residue.

Finished fincan cleaned up and ready for next step. It is not necessary to use rear centering ring if foam is trimmed up neatly. Or you can install it if you wish. Just remove enough foam to get it in.

file-6.jpg

Attachments

• file-7.jpg
    file-7.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 62
Very cool method! And let me tell you, THOSE FINS AIN'T GOIN' ANYWHERE! Except where the rocket goes!:D

Hey, Jim, buddy, pal..That would make a very kewl stockin stuffer..;);):roll:

Place rear CR on with tape tabs. Make sure it is loose enough to come off easily when you pull the tabs. Do not glue it on.

Slide assembly in, keep shock cord BETWEEN fin slots or fins won't go in.

Put a few drops of Ca on bottom of fin,place in slot, and align it.

Jim,
Did you glue yourself again? The 3rd picture looks like it.
if you did... at least it wasn't your hair.:D

John

Ya know the best way to build these mini's is with a rocket buddy!

Buy 2 of them, or one of each, argue over which one looks coolest.
Who is getting which one.
Or if both of you are getting the same.

When was the last time you had so much fun building a kit you fell down laughing? Or your side hurt from laughing.

What the heck I telling ya.... this is the most fun adults should be allowed to have!

Then decide what the bet is for the drag race your gonna have because yours is faster than his. Then build both ways.....one foam......one traditional epoxy....

Get your favorite beverage in the cooler.
Set aside an evening or afternoon...let the CARNAGE ensue! You will have some one there for safety sake when you fall down laughing and need a hand to get up.
Glue yourself to yourself. Or to something else.
Or lean over the rising foam to get the sandpaper and foam a nose cone to your shirt!

They are truly mini, min, high power rockets, except they are cheap to buy and cheap to fly!

I expect to see many Wildmen brothers throwing down the drag race challenge with these!
Heck how can you possibly not drag race on F's and G'?

Besides you got to settle all those side bets ya made during the build.

Yes I glued the fins to my hands.
And a bunch of other stuff. But we were laughing so hard and having so much fun.. who cares? [and reaching for the cooler a bunch]

Make sure to bevel the fins if you want to win!
The foam IS lighter than most epoxy builds.

Then bet on how big a motor it will take to rip the fins off.
I'm bett'n they stay on!

Foam is your friend. [in a fincan or on a beer]

That sounds like a good name for a rocket! " FOAM IS YOUR FRIEND"

Last edited:
I sure wish Tim would stifle his creativity, I have no willpower.

well I did want to make it worth the trip :). not all of what you see is for the wild child(3 items are for my lv1 bird, and a couple are for 24mm birds). at least some pics will be taken( I hope). dunno if I want to test the g64 any place other than bong though :).

Cut 10-12 inches of Kevlar off supplied. Tie overhand knot to create loop.

Tack Kevlar on with Ca.
Prop up NC to vertical position.

Mix 8ml total of foam and pour into NC.

Wait 30 minutes and trim off excess cured foam.

100_7766.jpg

100_8327.jpg

100_8338.jpg

Glue ¼ in. diameter launch lugs ,¾ long, centered between the fins. One at rear of fincan & one just above front of fins. [ Or rail buttons]

Attach shock cord to nose cone. Measure 2 feet from nose cone tie loop in Kevlar, and attach Topflight parachute.

That's it the new "Foam & Fly " method.

Fast and light, But there is still the epoxy method for the "MILDMEN"

100_8341.jpg

100_8339.jpg

Attachments

• 100_8298_2.jpg
    100_8298_2.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 69
did a little shopping today...and picked up a few things:)

Umm....That there is a 38mm motor. It won't fit in your new Wildman kit. You should just send it to me so it won't get wasted....

G.D.

good eye on the motor casings, out of curiosity can you name the maker of the 38mm :)?
gee, I thought that the point of this post was 'you too can own a 'mini-me' :), but seriously yes the '38 will fit... funny I had been thinking of an AT bird for a less fragile mid power but the wildman pointed out some of the 'drawbacks' of the at* stuff and talked me into buying the w child...guess if you want one of your own you'll either have to order online...or track down your 'local' dealer :).
*ex. the cheetah has a limited selection of paint choices due to what it is made of.

Back