Electronic Redundancy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trenman

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a question and a concern. My last rocket was large enough to house 2 different flight computers, a gps and all the DD equipment I could use with space to spare. I used two different flight computers for redundancy reasons. My new 54mm bird however (GL Crossbow) is a lot smaller and the av bay is exponentially smaller. I use an RRC2 Mini currently but have a nagging concern that I dont have a backup system for redundancy.

Do others just use one computer? I assume many do and most L3's dont. I suppose what Im really asking for is advice. Wether or not to re-engineer a larger av bay to hold more electronics etc...

Have those who have used the RRC2 ever had deploy problems?

Any advice is certainly appreciated.

The RRC2mini is an excellent product. Rugged and flexible. Single deployment control is typical for small/minimum diameter airframes. Likely you'll be fine.

Last edited:
I tend to use one altimeter on L1 and small L2 projects, but have built 4", 5.5" and 6" dual (and different) altimeters for my bigger L2 and all L3 projects. Don't want to have a "oops" on something that weighs several pounds - too much kinetic energy and too much chance to do real damage, not to mention the projects are much more expensive.

My view on it is this...

In a perfect world, we'd fly two altimeters in every rocket. But that's not always practical, especially for smaller rockets.

I fly single altimeters all the time, because it's what fits.

-Kevin

3" dia and larger I use dual altimeters. Anything smaller I use a single altimeter because of limited space. You should have no problems with the altimeter choice.

What else are you putting in the av bay? I have a GL Crossbow and had plenty of room in the av bay for an RDAS Tiny, PerfectFlite MAWD, and a CTI radio tracker. If you're putting in the RRC2, you should be able to put a raven in there as well and have plenty of room to spare. The RRC2 is already small. The Raven is less than half its size and has way more features. I always fly two different altimeters (although I have to admit, I've never had a desire to build a 29mm min diameter bird, which might force me to use just one).

I fly two altimeters in everything that I can fit two in. I use a MAWD and a Featherweight altimeter. I have gotten the two altimeters into a 2.6" bay, so a 4" should be extremely easy. You just have to use your space efficiently. If you'd like, I can post a picture.

Back