Like a proud PAPA

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimracer

Reaction score
Just thought I would show it off..

NCR Eliminator (Estes)

Looking for my Level One cert in the next few weeks.

.7oz per Sq glass under West System, (Body tube and Fins).
2002 GM Millennium Corvette Yellow under Omni Clear
1 lbs 7 oz less motor case..

Aught to scream off the pad!

Grimracer

Corvette 1.jpg

Rex,

Not a bad idea.. In between boat racing and rockets this year I have had 3 weekends off...

Good thing my wife likes my hobbys!

Hope to see ya next summer.

Grim

I were thinking that, WOOSH launches hpr stuff out at Richard Bong recreation area...and that isn't that far from Racine. so one could launch on saturday, race on sunday :).
rex

May I ask your personal process for fiberglasssing/ painting? It apears that you may have used Enamel Hardener? Regardless I was the first to post and I still find myself gawking at this beauty. I especially love the retention system in gold. Bravo!!

I appreciate in advance any insight.

Happy to help if and anytime I can.. every thing im going to list out here is doable by ANYBODY.. just takes some practice.

The body tube was jigged up on a length of aluminum channel. I like this because when positioned with the V up.. the BT will not rock as much as it does with a dowel or round jig tube.. BUT.. PVC pipe works too!

.7oz per sq yard cloth was used thought out the build.

The cloth was cut to length/s and very lightly sprayed with 3M 77. (VERY LIGHTY).. just mist in the air above the cloth and let the 77 fall on the cloth.

Position the cloth over the BT and carefully wipe in place. A playing card and help with this.

Next is the application of west systems. Slowly poor a small amount of epoxy on to the BT and move it around with the playing card.. make sure to lightly cover all the cloth. Its important to know that you do not want the cloth suspended by the epoxy. You want the cloth touching the BT.. so to remove any excess I use Scott Towel (the blue ones you get at Menards or Farm Fleet and lay a length of this around the BT.. yep.. over the wet work you have just done.. massage the paper towel and you will see the epoxy start to work into the towel.. after just a min or two remove and toss.. Repeat on the rest of the BT.

Use the same system on the fins.

After all is cured and the cloth is stuck to the rocket.. you can brush on another coat of epoxy.. this coat will fill all the cloth grain.

Sand with 80 (yup 80) just to get flat.. then to 240 and so on.. I stop at 400.

Assemble the parts. Including the fillets and Launch Lugs. (build the rocket)

Prime with a good filler primer. (SANDABLE)

Again sand with 240 and spot fill any nastys.

Sand and prime.

PAINT!.. I use Automotive paints and have a air control booth in my house. It does not have an air makeup unit but OK.. It really does not move that much air anyway.

The Corvette Rocket was painted with Omni AU 2002 Millennium yellow. After that cured it was to the decals and the clear coat.. again Omni AU Clear with cat.

That’s it..

Grimracer

BTY. My spray gun is a super cheepy I got at the Tractor Supply Store.. but dang it works nice.. full quart gun for like 28 bucks!

O yea...I build and paint other junk too!

DSC00379.JPG

DSC00049.JPG

Last edited:
Grimracer, very nice paint job. Can you provide a link to the spray gun or a picture or an item # that I can check on TS. I'm hoping its a generic type that Harbor Freight (HF store 3 miles away) might have. Thanks.

lets see.. bought it a few years ago...

Hum.. dont have any paper work or anything for it. For the money it was like.. im not going to rebuild it anway!..

If I find anything I will let you know..

Grimracer

Matter of fact I just looked online and found a TS not too far away. I see they have Valspar enamel (gallons and quarts) with hardner available at good prices and plenty of colors. Have you ever tried this enamel on rockets? Might turn out to be a one stop shoping trip. No problem on the spray gun. Was it a standard gun with siphon feed bottom canister or HVLP type with gravity feed top canister? I'll try leaving a link here, let me know what you think of this one:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tools.../tradespro-3-piece-hvlp-spray-gun-set-1117703

It has a larger nozzle which might be good for enamel. This is something I always wanted to try. I thought about the premixed quart cans of lacquer from advanced auto but its pretty expensive to buy that way. TIA. Uncrichie.

Well.. that was fun..

Thanks to the guys in the CIA club I now have my Level One Cert.

here is the flight.

Delay was a tic short but the rocket is fine. H128-M

Grimracer

I thought I recognized you and the rocket from somewhere!

That was a beautiful flight on a perfect day! Great job! :clap:

CIA_2010 024.jpg

CIA_2010 032.jpg

Brian,

It was nice to meet you and you dad. We did have a nice day dident we!

Im looking forward to that kind of day again!

Take care.

Grimracer (Mike Z)

O yea.. the gun I have is gravity feed HVLP

Might have been a Cambel Housfield.(Spl)

Grim

Back