Latest Estes Saturn V build suggestions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecool

Reaction score
All,

For a while I've had an older Saturn V kit that I've been hesitant to build - given it's historical value I have wanted to keep it in the box as a "collectible". So I was really happy when Estes re-released the kit this year - now I could keep one and build one! However, I was bummed to open up the new kit and discover it can only be flown on a single D if left stock - the old kit used a system of removable motor mounts so it could be flown one 1 D OR a 3C cluster. That always struck me as a great idea as this bird seems way underpowered on a single D engine. So, to my questions:

1) Any suggestions on how I could adapt the new kit to use removable motor mounts like the old one, so I can fly it on a cluster?

2) I've never worked w/vacu-forms before and I'm a little nervous. The instructions say you have to fill the spirals in the body tubes to get good adhesion of the vacu-forms. I've always avoided filling like the plague. Do I really have to do this? Am I misunderstanding the instructions? Any other tips for success w/vacu-forms?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm planning on making this my winter project so it can fly next spring, so I should be able to take my time and do this right! :)

All,

For a while I've had an older Saturn V kit that I've been hesitant to build - given it's historical value I have wanted to keep it in the box as a "collectible". So I was really happy when Estes re-released the kit this year - now I could keep one and build one! However, I was bummed to open up the new kit and discover it can only be flown on a single D if left stock - the old kit used a system of removable motor mounts so it could be flown one 1 D OR a 3C cluster. That always struck me as a great idea as this bird seems way underpowered on a single D engine. So, to my questions:

1) Any suggestions on how I could adapt the new kit to use removable motor mounts like the old one, so I can fly it on a cluster?

2) I've never worked w/vacu-forms before and I'm a little nervous. The instructions say you have to fill the spirals in the body tubes to get good adhesion of the vacu-forms. I've always avoided filling like the plague. Do I really have to do this? Am I misunderstanding the instructions? Any other tips for success w/vacu-forms?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm planning on making this my winter project so it can fly next spring, so I should be able to take my time and do this right! :)

I kinda don't know where they got that bit about spiral filling helping the adhesion of the wraps. Most fillers I've used (from sanding sealer, to Elmer's fillers, to Bondo spot filler) would inhibit the bond. I would fill the exposed spirals, but not the covered ones.

As far as powering the rocket, I'd simply use Aerotech E15-4's from Aerotech/Valuerockets.com.

Otherwise, go to https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/k-36.htm and look at how Estes did it in the old K-36 kit. That was the only one of the Estes Saturn V models that used the convertable motor mount. Centuri's original kit -- on which the current kit is based -- used an ST-16 engine mount/stuffer tube which could hold three 18mm motors. So the simplest thing to do would be to enlarge the hole in the three centering rings to BT-60 size.

All,
So, to my questions:

You can easily adapt the 2157 to multiple engine mounts and use/stay close to the stock mount.

Go here: https://www.vernarockets.com/id2.html

Then go to: https://www.sears572.com/supersaturnv.htm for a detailed build.
There are also suggestions for upgrading your pad. You will need to do that if you go clustered.

My way is not the only way but it works well and may give you some ideas of your own.

Verna
www.vernarockets.com

I was asking myself that very question. I google searched "Estes Saturn modification" and it came up with a 45 sec. youtube video how someone had built theirs to fly with the display nozzles attached. They made two versions- one fairly stock and one with a five engine cluster. It got me thinking!

I would just get the upgrade kit from Commonwealth to fly it on single 29mm motors. ANY rocket 4" in diameter is underpowered with anything shy of a 24mm F24W reload, PERIOD.

Back