Sirius Refit U.S.S. Atlantis

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonypv

And so it begins...
Reaction score
This is a kit that I always liked but never bought, until I won it on eBay for $43, including shipping. :)

I been working on this off and on for a few months in between other projects and finally finished it this weekend.
Because of the uniqueness of this design I also made a stand for it so I could display it better.

Like most Sirius kits this one has a lot of decals. It took me over three and a half hours to put them on!!

Refit U.S.S. Atlantis 2.jpg

Refit U.S.S. Atlantis 3.jpg

Refit U.S.S. Atlantis 4.jpg

Refit U.S.S. Atlantis 5.jpg

Refit U.S.S. Atlantis 11.jpg

Tony,

Looks Great!

I love the stand!

David

This is a kit that I always liked but never bought, until I won it on eBay for $43, including shipping. :)

I been working on this off and on for a few months in between other projects and finally finished it this weekend.
Because of the uniqueness of this design I also made a stand for it so I could display it better.

Like most Sirius kits this one has a lot of decals. It took me over three and a half hours to put them on!!

I was proud of my Atlantis and for my skill level, I think I have a right to be.

You blew me away, though. Good job!

You`ve done a bang up job on that kit ,looks like a daunting kit to build.

I can see now why it would take so long to do all those decals :eek:

The stand was a great idea ,I`ll have to use that some time.

I can really see some of those kits in my very near future...please Santa !!

Paul

Tony,

Great job, as usual. I assume you will have it at the CMASS launch this Saturday?

Wow, Tony.... another stunning piece of work! :clap:

That is a Sirius kit that is definitely on my list of wants. I have built two Sirius kits (Deimos and 24mm Interrogator) and I have a Cestris in the build pile. Sirius kits are great!

When do you think you are going to launch it?

Paul, you are going to be busy at Christmas!

You`ve done a bang up job on that kit ,looks like a daunting kit to build.

I can see now why it would take so long to do all those decals :eek:

The stand was a great idea ,I`ll have to use that some time.

I can really see some of those kits in my very near future...please Santa !!

Paul
Thanks.
It looks harder to build than it really is. It is all laser cut plywood the pylons have through the wall mounting.
The pods are vacuformed and took the most time with filling and such.
Tony,

Great job, as usual. I assume you will have it at the CMASS launch this Saturday?
Thanks Bob.
You know I'll have it at the launch.
See you there. :)

Wow, Tony.... another stunning piece of work! :clap:

That is a Sirius kit that is definitely on my list of wants. I have built two Sirius kits (Deimos and 24mm Interrogator) and I have a Cestris in the build pile. Sirius kits are great!

When do you think you are going to launch it?
Thanks Jeff. :blush:

Will be flying it this Saturday at the next CMASS launch.
I agree Sirius kits are great!

Will be flying it this Saturday at the next CMASS launch.
I agree Sirius kits are great!
What do you think you will fly it on?

I used a D12-5 for the first flight of mine and I thought the delay was way too long. A D12-3 would have been better.

That was on the tiny field in Tewksbury and it didn't go all that high.

In Amesbury, you should have a bigger selection of motors to choose from.

Last edited:
What do you think you will fly it on?

I used a D12-5 for the first flight of mine and I thought the delay was way too long. A D12-3 would have been better.

That was on the tiny field in Tewksbury and it didn't go all that high.

In Amesbury, you should have a bigger selection of motors to choose from.
I was thinking of using a E18 or E20 for it's first flight. An F12 would probably give it a nice ride too. :)

Hey Tony,

I hope you bring it to the launch this Saturday. I gotta see this baby in person.

Daniel

Wow that is flawless!

What is the orangeish copperish thing on the rudder?

Tony.... Good luck with your launch this weekend - although I think this rocket should be in a display case instead of on a launch pad.

David... Do you still fly your high power version?

That is indeed a beautiful job!

The copperish thing is the "deflector dish"...
Thanks again David. :)
Tony.... Good luck with your launch this weekend - although I think this rocket should be in a display case instead of on a launch pad.
Thanks Jeff.
So far the weather looks good, cold but good.
Well it has to fly at least once. ;)

Flew the Atlantis yesterday at the CMASS launch. Overcast sky with light winds.
I used an E18 for it's first flight.
Great flight!! :)
Nice straight boost. At ejection the shock cord got hooked on one of the pylons and it came down horizontally, which was not a bad thing.
Landed without a scratch. :)

Refit USS Atlantis otp1.jpg

Refit USS Atlantis otp2.jpg

Refit USS Atlantis lo.jpg

Wow, great launch shot Tony! I love the plume of that motor!

Would you mind if I use that on the website or in some promos?

David

David... Do you still fly your high power version?

Jeff, that model has been relegated to "drydock" status, hanging up now on display. After flying it about seven times, I decided to retire it, most likely permanently.

AtlanDrydock.jpg

On Sunday 11/21 at the last CMASS launch of the year I flew the Sirius Refit USS Atlantis for it's second flight on a F12-5.

Refit USS Atlantis otp1.jpgRefit USS Atlantis otp2.jpg
Sorry no lift off shots, motor was slow to ignite.

The boost was great all though it did tip off the rod a little. This sent it up over the river on the North side of the field landing on the other side of the river, I could even see the chute hanging about 8 to 10 feet off the ground. There is no easy way to get to the other side from the field. I tried going down the road to where it crosses over to see if I could get to from there. But it was to over grown and a lot of wet lands, not to mention that it was a long ways from the rocket.

After getting back to the field Bob Krech pointed out a house way over on the other side and said that maybe I could get to it from there. He suggested to check Google Earth to see if there was a way in from that side. That night I checked Google Earth and indeed there looked like a way in.

There had only been a couple of brief rain showers through the week and they were predicting heavy rain for Thursday night through midday Friday so Thanksgiving morning I went to recover the Atlantis. I made it over to the river after a 20 - 25 minute hike through tall grass and thick brush and water ways. I searched for about an hour in the area that I thought it was, but nothing. There were some areas that I could not get to because of water. I was getting discouraged but I decided to go further down stream around a wet area for one last look before heading back. As I got closer to the river I could hear the water going over a small rapid. I remembered that this was close to where the Atlantis could be see. I made my way closer to the river going up steam toward the area that I had seen it. I walked right up to it!! I was about 5 feet away from it when I first saw it hanging there. The chute was about 8 feet up and the main body was about 4 feet off the ground.

NOT A SCRATCH!!! :D
It didn't look like it had been outside for four days.

I had my camera with me but I was so happy to find it I forgot to take a picture. :rolleyes:

NOT A SCRATCH!!! :D
It didn't look like it had been outside for four days.

Tony, I'm glad you got this rocket back albeit with lots of sloshing around to find it.

I guess it's good that it wasn't damaged during its camping trip but I know you enjoy restoring your rockets to their pristine condition and look almost as much as you enjoy producing each beautiful example to begin with.

See you in January or around Flagship Drive.

Kenn

Tony, I'm glad you got this rocket back albeit with lots of sloshing around to find it.

I guess it's good that it wasn't damaged during its camping trip but I know you enjoy restoring your rockets to their pristine condition and look almost as much as you enjoy producing each beautiful example to begin with.

See you in January or around Flagship Drive.

Kenn
Thanks Kenn,

I even scared a deer out of hiding while looking around.

See you at the Winter Follies.
Now THAT is a Happy Thanksgiving, Tony!
Yes it was. :)

Back