to paint or not to paint(fins)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
that is the quesion :). on my latest build, I can't decide whether to simply clear coat them, or, paint them...what do you think? (see pic)
thanks
rex

Kind of a tough call ,but I think I would just clear coat them and show off that nice structural work.....looks very cool !

What kind of rocket is it rex ?

Paul

another of my 'Flight Test' series(thrust augmentation), 24mm engine. if I can find some D15s (and an altimeterone), maybe I can prove/disprove whether the theory works :). should be roughly 32" tall with a 4" payload bay. when last weighed its' empty weight was 3.2 oz(fins were 2g each :)).
rex

An alternative would be to use a red Magnum marker and "color" the fin - it would add a nice red color to the fins but would still be just as translucent. Best of both worlds. :D

Have you flown fins of this configuration before? Having done some work on flutter failure I'd be very interested in how they perform.

another of my 'Flight Test' series(thrust augmentation), 24mm engine. if I can find some D15s (and an altimeterone), maybe I can prove/disprove whether the theory works :). should be roughly 32" tall with a 4" payload bay. when last weighed its' empty weight was 3.2 oz(fins were 2g each :)).
rex

well I've flown fins of this size and shape on an E20(3/32" balsa w/ 1/64"ply skins) and stick & paper fins on my cherokee...but no I have not flown stick & paper fins in this particular configuration yet. so it might be interesting. just have wait and see :).
rex

I decided to simply use a clear coat on the fins. pic of the entire FTM family with #1 at the top &#4 at the bottom

ftmfam 001.jpg

Nice family. Question. Do the bottom part ever get burned?

to date; only if I have a 'brain fart' and forget the engine spacer :eek: (another coat of white glue should remedy that).

Back