Estes - 220 Swift (#0810) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishtech

Reaction score
Fun fast build.
Sreams out of sight on A10's.
Launched twice and recovered twice.:eek:
Tumble recovery? Right. Try lawn dart.

10312010 025.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My Swift was not by first build but it was my first flight at a BAR. It went up on a 1/4A3-3. One second it was on the pad, the next it had disappeared forever.

This is my only photo of it.

2436065542_125289ce35.jpg

Heck just build it as a Cricket and call it a Cricket!

Great flier on AT 1G 38mm reloads

IMG_0092.jpg

Decal by SS23dotcom

Post copied to gallery with permission

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Estes - 220 Swift (#0810) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes - 220 Swift (#0810) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: 220 Swift: #0810
Madcow: Cricket: K-141

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes 220 Swift (#0810) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: 220 Swift

NUMBER: #0810

Introduced: 2004
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x13mm
Recovery: Tumble
Stages: 1
Length: 4.5"
Diameter: 0.54"
Span:
Weight: 0.094 oz

Mfg. Description: This fun and easy to build "itty-bitty" rocket really scoots through the sky. The 220 Swift is sleek and launches on mini-engines then tumbles back to earth. (Estes 2004 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-220%20swift-2004%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2004 Catalog
estes-220%20swift-2005%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2005 Catalog
estes-220%20swift-2006%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2006 Catalog

estes-220%20swift-2007%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2007 Catalog
estes-220%20swift-2010%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2010 Catalog

Face Card

estes-220%20swift-facecard.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Madcow Cricket (K-141) Basic Information.

madcowrocketry.gif
Madcow Rocketry

MODEL NAME: Cricket

NUMBER: K-141

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport, Upscale
Motor Mount: 1x38mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 28.5"
Diameter: 4"
Span:
Weight: 30 oz

Mfg. Description: High Power Rocket
Heavy Duty Plastic Nose Cone
1/4" Plywood Laser Cut Fins and Rings
Delrin Rail Buttons
Pre-slotted Airframe
9/16" Tubular Nylon Shock Cord (Madcow 2011 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

madcow-cricket-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
Madcow 2011 Web Ad

Face Card

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
I got tired of looking for the BT-5 version in the weeds, so I decided to build a BT-60 version of it and save some time looking for it.

BT-60 220 Swift.jpg

Some more adventures with the 220 Swift. I went with the Swift as my first rocket returning as a BAR. Perfect launch never to be seen again. My second Swift had an equally challenging adventure, it buried itself six inches into a snow drift. I found it by accident looking for another rocket. It really should be renamed the Lawn Dart.
Return of the Swift.jpgSwift First Flight.jpg

My solution to the chronic lawn dart landing issue. I have yet to fly these two Swifts, but I have a Quark that I did the same thing to and it worked perfectly on a 1/4 A. The only drawback to this modification is the engine case has to be trimmed for it to fit properly. Probably not NAR approved. Kicking engines aren't NAR approved either. Just an option to a longtime complaint against these little rockets. Enjoy! :)
Estes Swift Engine Block.jpg Estes Swift Recovery.jpg Pair of Estes Swifts.jpg

I would have loved to get mine back, and it really is a great tumble recovery, . . . .

. . .If the engine gets stuck and ejection charge causes a mid air explosion.... :D

Lost the first one. Here's it's replacement.

One and done—yet again. Speaking of "done," I will not buy nor build any more of these.

Top' yours looks great. I like the different scheme. Take a good long look at it. They have a habit of going away. Quickly.

This was my first rocket 2 years ago. I would post a pic, but I didn't take any before my first launch. And since I lost it, I was never able to get a pic. And since there is no proof to the contrary, mine was the most beautiful rocket ever built in the history of rocketry. ;)

One and done—yet again. Speaking of "done," I will not buy nor build any more of these.

Top' yours looks great. I like the different scheme. Take a good long look at it. They have a habit of going away. Quickly.

Thanks. I flew it once, on a 1/4A, and it did disappear. After looking in the Field for 45 Minutes we gave up and went back to my Truck 150 Yards away to pack up and go home.
There it was, laying on its side right behind my Truck. How it got all the way over there, I'll never know, as I witnessed the Puff of Smoke at Motor Ejection, and it was right on top of where we were launching.

And this is the only shot that will ever be. Moments after this was taken it incorrectly calculated the jump to hyperspace and wound up in the middle of a black hole. Pity. Never even got to put the decal on.

What a great idea. After first launch I thought this was a tumble recovery. Little did I know this would be a falling missile. Sort of dangerous for someone looking up to spot it. :eyeroll:
Thanks for the info: I'll try this!!!

My solution to the chronic lawn dart landing issue. I have yet to fly these two Swifts, but I have a Quark that I did the same thing to and it worked perfectly on a 1/4 A. The only drawback to this modification is the engine case has to be trimmed for it to fit properly. Probably not NAR approved. Kicking engines aren't NAR approved either. Just an option to a longtime complaint against these little rockets. Enjoy! :)
View attachment 133527 View attachment 133528 View attachment 133529
What a great idea. After first launch I thought this was a tumble recovery. Little did I know this would be a falling missile. Sort of dangerous for someone looking up to spot it.
29.gif

Thanks for the info: I'll try this!!!

Here's my madcow cricket and scratch BT-60 swift. Both are a little stretched, the cricket suffered a CATO and had to be rebuilt so I added a couple of inches to make it a little easier to fit the laundry in. Both have had one flight so far, but will get many more in the future. The cricket flew nicely on an Aerotech G75J, the BT-60 swift on an Aerotech D13 composite 18mm reload.

XAmMgQs.jpg

cheers - mark

Back