Estes - Hi-Flier (#2178) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishtech

Reaction score
Model #2178 purchased from Hobby Lobby.
Even with a ton of added nose weight this is a screamer with a C6 loaded.

10312010 028.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Farther & son project. for Brandon Gross.
6X upscaled. does about 1200' on H180's. Decals are by Mark at Stickershock.

Hi Flier 006 (2).jpg

Mike

Welcome to the Estes Hi-Flier (#2178) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes Hi-Flier (#2178) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Hi-Flier: #2178
Estes: Hi Flier XL: #3226

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes Hi-Flier (#2178) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Hi-Flier Also known as:

NUMBER: #2178

Introduced: 2003
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Streamer
Stages: 1
Length: 12 in. (30.5 cm)
Diameter: 0.74 in. (19 mm)
Span:
Weight: 0.82 oz. (23.2 g)

Mfg. Description: How high will a High-Flier go? The answer is OUTTA SIGHT!! No one knows for sure. Or maybe you do?

The Estes Hi-Flier is an ultra high performance model rocket with tons of attitude. Be sure and keep your eye on this stream-lined missile as it climbs to amazing heights over 1,600 feet, (OK we told you) and recovers with a fluorescent orange streamer. Watch it climb and climb and climb and...well, you get the idea! (Estes 2011 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

estes-hi%20flyer%202178-2003%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2003 Catalog
estes-hi%20flyer%202178-2004%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2004 Catalog
estes-hi%20flyer%202178-2005%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2005 Catalog

estes-hi%20flyer%202178-2006%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2006 Catalog
estes-hi%20flyer%202178-2007%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2007 Catalog
estes-hi%20flyer%202178-2008%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2008 Catalog

estes-hi%20flyer%202178-2010%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2010 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-hi%20flyer%202178-facecard.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Here is my finished upscaled Estes H-Flier. The rocket has been finished since Nov. and I finally saved up enough for decals. Thanks Mark and thanks to barstoolmike for the Rocsim file. It's 3" Blue Tube with a 38mm motor mount, 3/16" birch ply fins, Aeropack retainer. Weight of the short version is 44 oz. In the DD version it's 71 oz. It will fly on G's for a nice "low and slow" flight or on on I's for an screamin 3000' to5000' flight. Estes Hi Flier 003 (2).jpg

Estes Hi Flier 004 (2).jpg

The paint fought with this rocket from the first color shot on. I do like the scheme, but I'll need to build another rocket to get it nice and smooth.

Rocket.jpg

Camel yellow base color, and it's older brother the #2005 Javelin kitbash from a mix of Viking and Hi-flier parts. The other two are bashes from the left over parts. Tamiya sprays for the base colors and trimmed with Tamiya acrylic bottle paints.

Yes, I did goof and got the decal on upside down.

BT20 B 03.jpg

Finished up my Hi-Flier XL today. Upgrades include kevlar shock cord anchored to motor mount tube and nylon 'chute. Paint is Dupli-color Brilliant Black Pearl and Dupli-color Metalcast Blue Anodized. Topped with Dupli-color clear acrylic lacquer, polished by Neutrogena. First flight motor not yet determined, last flight motor likely a G75...

high flyer XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished my Hi-Flier XL the paint scheme was my wife's idea. The binary on the tube actually spells out my screen name and the circuit on the fins I downloaded off the net trimmed and had the wife cut it out of vinyl. I figured I would call it Base Two since it just seemed to fit.
BaseTwo.jpg

Estes Hi Flier XL (#3226) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Hi Flier XL Also known as:

NUMBER: #3226

Introduced: 2012
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport, Upscale
Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 31 in. (78.7 cm)
Diameter: 1.64 in. (42 mm)
Span:
Weight: 3.5 oz. (99.2 g)

Mfg. Description: The name says it all! A sleek sport rocket standing over 30 inches tall, the Hi-Flier XL is an upsized replica of the #1 selling 2178 Hi-Flier. This rocket can heights over 1300 amazing feet.

The Hi-Flier XL flies on C11, D and *E engines and a bright 18 inch parachute brings it back to earth. Plan to fly this one again and again! (Estes 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

estes-hi%20flier%20xl%203226-2012%20cat.jpg
2012 Catalog
estes-hi%20flier%20xl%203226-2012%20web.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

estes-hi%20flier%20xl%203226-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-hi%20flier%20xl%203226-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads
Boosterdude
Bubba02Sti

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
My wife liked my Hi Flier XL so she had to have one of her own. Being a fan of the show Big Bang Theory this is the pain scheme she came up with.
Bazinga.jpg

Here's mine. Instead of doing a bunch of noseweight, I put in a 13mm engine mount. I can fly this one in my tiny back yard when the wind lays.

EDIT: dang, the new upload thing sucks... had to find a way to turn it OFF before I could find the picture to upload.

loflier.jpg

[video=youtube;iDh4yVorMVY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDh4yVorMVY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

So here's mine. I fitted this one with a 13mm motor mount and renamed it "Lo Flier."

BTW JAL3: Hope I did the introductory posts correctly.

attachment.php

loflier.jpg

Welcome to the Estes - Hi Flier (#2178) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes - Hi Flier (#2178) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Hi Flier: #2178

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You must have misunderstood me. I mean I failed to make myself clear. For that I do Apologize.

You don't need to recreate the headers, information or any of that. THat's my job. All you need to do is create a new thread for a new rocket. THen I will get things sorted out.

Also, for the high flier, we already have a thread. When that happens, I just merge the two.

Man, oh man, I sure didn't mean to put you through all that work!

Hey, just helping out. Sorry I couldn't find the darn thread earlier when I wanted it... I'd have seen that I've already posted that picture. Gah.

Should not post right after waking up from afternoon nap (caused by too much cake and ice cream).

Hey, just helping out. Sorry I couldn't find the darn thread earlier when I wanted it... I'd have seen that I've already posted that picture. Gah.

Should not post right after waking up from afternoon nap (caused by too much cake and ice cream).

That's the problem. You should let a professional like me handle dangerous stuff like cake and ice cream. Just don't tell the Mrs. about it.

One of the big problems with the gallery is that there are 2 index systems. The older index is the one in the main gallery system. The newer system has individual indices in each of the sub galleries.

When the gallery got to a certain size, some major problems creeped in due to a restriction in the gallery software. The work-around involved the creation of the sub-galleries and individual index systems. The problem was the incredible number of older entries.

WHen the switch was first made a few years ago, I thought it would only take me a couple of months to get everything moved over. I was very wrong. What I finally wound up doing is moving entries as they make it to the first page of the main gallery. That has let me keep things organized and remember where they are.

Of course, back when I was unemployed, I had a lot more time to move things around as well. Now, having 3 jobs with odd hours to make one paycheck, time is even more of an issue. I'm not complaining. I am glad for each of the jobs but I miss building, flying and even maintaining the gallery.

Chrism should submit his "Maga Hi Flier". Especially now that it has proven its Flightworthyness.

Hey, I'd be willing to help out. I do this sort of thing for a living, after all.

IMAG1377-1.jpg it's a 6x upscale
38mm
4" air frame
17" nose cone
Fins 26" root cord
56"air frame length
Total weight ( no motor ) 10.11 lbs
Fins set 5 deg from 90 to the left . To flight straight ( cant)
Added a new picture vinyl from mark at sticker shock . Will be doing min diameter 38& 54mm soon

Attachments

• IMAG1947.jpg
    IMAG1947.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Here is the hi flier that my son and I put together, Being TRUE BUCKEYES from Ohio, we decided to make it the Buckeye Blaster. We have flown it 3 times now. (This was our first rocket we have done). Good Times!! :grin:

Buckeye Blaster.jpg

Last edited:
I wanted to distinguish my Hi Flier from my friend's, so I opted for a Blue Angels color scheme - blue and gold.

IMG_1706.jpgIMG_1730.jpg

The other distinguishing feature is that mine is not lost.

Edit: Photo orientation

Attachments

• IMG_1706.jpg
    IMG_1706.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1730.jpg
    IMG_1730.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Back