Estes - Guardian (#2179) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishtech

Reaction score
Here is my model #2179 Guardian with my own custom paint job.
Flies best on C6-5 and during low wind conditions.:confused2:
I bought this from Hobby Lobby with a 40% coupon.

10312010 023.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I built this for my daughter. It's not actually two different colors of green but Rustoleum FL Green over white and gray primer. It flies great on B and C motors and lets out a beautiful whistle as the wind whips over the fins.

_MG_8714r.jpg

Another Estes downscale from the more recent vintage is the 3.5x reduced T3 (.375") main body Guardian.
5-9/16" long the model has enough presence to really look pretty good in rustoleum Metallic Black,Silver & white. Alps printed decals being transparent colors worked out well over both white base coat and metallic silver fins. Printing over silver foil help the guardian body decal snap over the metallic black.
Light at 4.7grams with a MMX-II Motor our LOWt is 5.8grams making it another neck jurker, Snap quick teleport to apogee flight some 150+ feet about the launcher.

Post copied with permission

There were 2 threads and I merged them. This post is from the merged thread

Attachments

• MM 369-cp01_MM Guradian Construction Complete_04-16-10.JPG
    MM 369-cp01_MM Guradian Construction Complete_04-16-10.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 51
  • MM 369-cp04_MM Guardian 3 tone Silver fin-Blk & white_05-01-10.JPG
    MM 369-cp04_MM Guardian 3 tone Silver fin-Blk & white_05-01-10.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 55
  • MM 369-cp05_MM Guardian Decaled Complete_05-08-10.jpg
    MM 369-cp05_MM Guardian Decaled Complete_05-08-10.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited by a moderator:
Since I also was too lazy to reproduce the Estes paint job, I used black and white paint and chrome pinstripe tape.

Guardian no paint small.jpg

Guardian 001 small.jpg

Launch 7-4-08 001 small.jpg

Another one from the "Painting directions? What painting directions?" category.

IMG_792625.jpg

later,
Forrest

My Guardian. I had to rebuild the lower section after it got stuck in a tree, the upper section was saved and reused.

IMG_0045w.jpg

Welcome to the Estes Guardian (#2179) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes Guardian (#2179) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Guardian: #2179
McCoy's Micro Wonder Works (MMWW): MM Guardian Missile: #369

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes Guardian (#2179) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Guardian Also known as:

NUMBER: #2179

Introduced: 2003
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 19.13"
Diameter: 1.33"
Span:
Weight: 2.4 oz

Mfg. Description: Protect the airspace around your neighborhood from surprise attacks with the Estes Guardian!

This Model Rocket kit was created with a multiple-fin design, representative of the Nike ground to air missiles that were used in our country's defense for years.

Between 1954 and 1974 many USA cities were ringed by Nike missile sites, intended to protect against attack by enemy bombers. The first versions of the missiles were armed with high explosive warheads, so they could bring down the target even with a near miss.

The Guardian requires more skill in building and painting. (Estes 2011 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

estes-guardian%202179-2003%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2003 Catalog
estes-guardian%202179-2004%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2004 Catalog
estes-guardian%202179-2005%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2005 Catalog

estes-guardian%202179-2006%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2006 Catalog
estes-guardian%202179-2007%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2007 Catalog
estes-guardian%202179-2008%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2008 Catalog

estes-guardian%202179-2010%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2010 Catalog
estes-guardian%202179-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
Estes 2011 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

estes-guardian%202179-facecard.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Estes Guardian Missile (#369) Basic Information.

MMWW.gif
McCoy's Micro Wonder Works (MMWW)

MODEL NAME: MM Guardian Missile Also known as:

NUMBER: #369

Introduced: 2010
Final Year:
Designer: John McCoy

Type: Sport, Downscale
Motor Mount: 1x6mm
Recovery: Streamer
Stages: 1
Length: 5.5625"
Diameter: 0.375"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: T3-T2+ 3.5x Downscale (Plan)

Advertising Liveries

mmww-(estes)%20guardian%20369-plan%20livery.jpg
Plan Image

Face Card(s)

mmww-(estes)%20guardian%20369-facecard.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRRRocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Another one from the "Painting directions? What painting directions?" category.

Wow, I really like this paint scheme! The most complex 1950s research rocket that never was.

Don't worry about hiding that launch lug -- flaunt it with black and yellow "danger" spirals.

This paint scheme makes the 3 "stages" stand out much better.

Putting the white Guardian decal over gray paint was brilliant and subdues it nicely. (Can you tell by now I didn't like the original Estes paint scheme?)

Here's my Estes Guardian, finished in a simplified version of the Estes plan (I hate masking!). This rocket, with over 10 flights on it, is one of my old reliables. It flies great on C6-5s and recovers well even on my small-ish fields.

Guardian3.jpg

image.jpg
Did the same scheme just different colors. Masking was a real pain!
Currently working on a 2x version will post build thread in the MPR section.

Last edited:
image.jpg
Went for a little something different for the paint on this 2x Mock Pro Series Guardian.
Made with PS II 2" NC, 2"BT, 2-2.5" transition, and 2.5" BT. Homemade Plywood CRs, TTW Main fins, 29mm MMT.
Kevlar shock cord.

Last edited:
Some very cool Paint jobs guys!!! I've yet to do a "stock" paint job on any of my rockets I've ever owned. Since I ain't changing now, here is mine I just finished painting(besides clear) Really I rarely even use the decals, but chose to use just the name(too lazy to come up with my own) it's Silver & black & meant to look mean. :)
Picture 4381.jpg

I usually go stock with all of my Estes kits, but I wanted to try something a little different this time, but not quite as "all out" as modeltrains did with his. I wanted to go for more of a military missile look. I added a narrow band of card stock between the two lower fin sections. I should have probably done a little more to it like adding some serial #'s and such, but it'll work as is.
IMG_2207 (Edited).jpg

Here's mine. This is the first rocket I build when returning to the hobby a couple years back. Built all stock except for a longer elastic shock cord.

Shown here at our last launch getting ready to go up on a B6-4

IMG_8647.jpg

And in case anyone is looking for one of these, they are available again from AC Supply or eRockets.

I did a really sloppy job on mine, so I don't think I'll be posting it here :oops:

Back