Help Needed: Linear Thrust Curve

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TZ250

Reaction score
Does anyone know if a motor manufacturer makes a motor with a linear thrust curve? Specifically, I'm looking for approx. 200 lbs. of thrust for several seconds.

Hybrid would fine, that would give me a good excuse to research them. :D

I'm hoping to certify L2 next week with my 4" Talon. After that, I'd like to start experimenting with different thrust curves and acceleration rates.

Thanks in advance!

K780R is a 3 second burn holding about 200 lb thrust for about 3 seconds.

L850W is about 250 pounds of thrust for 2 seconds, triling down until about 4.5 seconds.

L952W is about 200 pound thrust burn for 6 seconds or so, 98mm

The aerotech catalog shows everything in pounds of thrust, and it shows their curves

I saw that some of the recommendations above include 75 MM motors, but i looked and a 4" Talon uses a 54 MM motor mount, so i will stick to 54 MM for my recommendations (unless you had yours made with a 75 MM motor mount).

To achieve 200# for a few seconds, a long 54 MM motor would work great. CTI has a bunch of motors that would fit the bill.

Pro54 6GXL:

2788L1030 Imax - 230# average over 2.7 seconds
2771L990 Blue Streak - 220# average over 2.8 seconds
3147L935 Red Lightning - 209# average over 3.4 seconds (3147 Ns!!!!)

There is also the Aerotech K1050, which would also work great.
If u want a little less thrust, pick the next smaller motor.

Hope this helps

i just looked at the aerotech catalog and wrote down the motors with the right thrust curve :p didn't think to look up what the mmt size for that model was doh :p

Thanks guys.

I have a CTI Pro 54 6XGL case. (it came with my Kestrel kit that I just bought) It will do double duty and fly in both the Kestrel and 4" Talon.

The problem with the CTI L935 is the whopping 1600N initial thrust. I know that the rocket will take that, but I want to do some experimenting. I'm looking for a smoooooth curve.

Kestrel and case:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=16086

Back