Quest - High-Q (#5012) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Initiator001

Reaction score
NARAM-50 saw many new products displayed/announced by hobby rocketry manufacturers.

Quest displayed and discussed their line of Advanced Rocketry models. Six prototypes, designed by Rokitflite, were displayed.

One of these models was the two-stage High-Q.

When Quest released the High-Q earlier this year, it was as a single-stage model.

While a basic appearing rocket, the paint scheme created by Rokitflite really 'makes' this rocket. :)

I've flown my High-Q locally on D12-5 motors and at NARAM-52 Quest President Bill Stine provided me with some Quest D8-3 motors to demonstrate in the High-Q. (Thanks, Bill).

Quest High-Q prototype & Rokitflite.jpg

Quest High-Q.jpg

Quest High-Q on the launch pad.jpg

Quest High-Q launch.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's mine. Still needs a maiden launch, but she's ready!

P1020396.jpg

EDIT: RIP. Lost on maiden launch on a E9-6. Another has been built very similar to this one.
EDIT#2: FOUND March 29, 2012! It's intact, and survived a winter up in a tree (thanks to Rustoloeum Epoxy Appliance Paint). A little clean-up and she's flight ready again!

Last edited:
I really like my High-Q a lot and would love to grab a 2-stage version. My only complaint is the shock cord. If building, ditch the elastic and use 6' of nylon cord instead. Also, as seen in the pics, I am using a PVC Compression Fitting as a motor retainer on mine.

_MG_3722.JPG

_MG_4351.JPG
_MG_4472.JPG

Last edited:
I really like my High-Q a lot and would love to grab a 2-stage version. My only complaint is the shock cord. If building, ditch the elastic and use 6' of nylon cord instead. Also, as seen in the pics, I am using a PVC Compression Fitting as a motor retainer on mine.

The compression fitting will definitely be installed on mine before it's launch.

As for the shock cord, I didn't use the Kevlar cord, went to 2 - 18" stainless fishing leaders then 6' of 1/4" clothing elastic. Should be plenty.

Love the look of the rocket BTW! :wink:

Biggest issue with the shock cord for me (I used the kevlar leader, stock elastic cord, and then added 2' of nylon) was that the recoil of the elastic sprung the nose cone back into the body (actually the fin) and now I have fin repair to do. Just this afternoon I cut back the stock elastic as far as I could and replaced it with 8' of PMI 3mm utility cord. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

wonder why no 2 stage was sold?

The original, two-stage, design of the High-Q model was based on Quest releasing a line of large black powder motors (D, E, F) that would have allowed direct staging.

The status of these large BP motors appears to be in limbo so Quest decided to just release the upper stage of the High-Q as it's own kit.

GDJ, when I saw your first pic, I thought, "Did he take a pic while launching it in his living room?!"

They're nice rockets though.

Quest Aerospace

MODEL NAME: High-Q

NUMBER: #5012

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer: Scott Branche

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x29mm
Recovery: 18" Chute
Stages: 1
Length: 30.5in / 77.5cm
Diameter: 1.97in / 50mm
Span:
Weight: 30.00OZ

Mfg. Description: High-Q is a great looking and performing mid-size rocket. Over 30 inches tall, the kit features blowmolded plastic nose cone, laser-cut balsa fins and a rugged 29mm diameter motor mount. Flights with an Aerotech F32-6W will go to almost 3,000 feet. Then your High-Q will recover gently on the big 18" fabric parachute. Includes big, easy-to-apply self adhesive decals. Also includes 24mm engine mount adapter that allows you to use 24mm diameter engines. (Quest 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Image
5012_500.jpg

My first build of the High-Q. Built stock with the exception of PVC motor retainer and paracord for recovery harness.

_MG_3722.JPG

_MG_4351.JPG

Welcome to the Quest High-Q (#5012) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Quest High-Q (#5012) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Quest: High-Q: #5012

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Quest High-Q (#5012) Basic Information.

quest.gif
Quest Aerospace

MODEL NAME: High-Q Also known as:

NUMBER: #5012

Introduced: 2010
Final Year:
Designer: Scott Branche

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x29mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 30.5in / 77.5cm
Diameter: 1.97in / 50mm
Span:
Weight: 30.00OZ

Mfg. Description: Big and Sleek!

Flies on "D", "E", and "F" motors.

High-Q is a great looking and performing mid-size rocket. Over 30 inches tall, the kit features blowmolded plastic nose cone, laser-cut balsa fins and a rugged 29mm diameter motor mount. Flights with an Aerotech F32-6W will go to almost 3,000 feet. Then your High-Q will recover gently on the big 18" fabric parachute. Includes big, easy-to-apply self adhesive decals. Also includes 24mm engine mount adapter that allows you to use 24mm diameter engines.

Recommended Motors: D12-3, D12-5, E9-4, E9-6 - Aerotech E20-4W, E20-7W, F32-6W, F20-7W.

NOTE: Quest does not currently produce a rocket motor to fly the High-Q with. We will have the Aerotech line of rocket motors available on our website soon.
This rocket designed by internationally famous designer Scott Branche (Quest 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

quest-high%20q%205012-2010%20cat.jpg
2010 Catalog
quest-high%20q%205012-2012%20web.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

quest-high%20q%205012-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
As I get older, I am a little wimpy'er on the heat index. Losing some weight would help too! :eyeroll:

Anyway looking at what I had not flown, I could go with the F50 in the AT IQSY Tomahawk or my newly minted Quest High-Q (both have build threads on TRF) loaded with a E28. After that, since it was noon, I vowed to pack it up and not push myself in the heat (even tho it was still clear and calm, and about 35).

The choice was really no choice. Off to the pad we went with the Quest High-Q.

9753771126_03a4644190_b.jpg

The delay was stock -7 (NAR says -5). Whatever... off we went (using my Firestar Fs-12 leads dipped in Magnelite).

9753780085_4d7ef0338d_b.jpg

After launching 1 to 4 pound rockets, this 8 ounce round went so fast I only caught one picture! :surprised: :lol:

The flight was perfect to an Estes Altimeter recorded 1013' (309m). The chute streamlined in the protector for WAY too long :y: but eventually did catch air. As a result the walk was much shorter! :lol:

Post copied to gallery with permission

Last edited by a moderator:
0503-145727.jpg Have yet to fly my High Q. Relatively small rocket for a 29mm mount, I would expect this rocket to really soar. Flew a Big dog on an F 26 and was lucky to recover as it flew out of sight and drifted out of launch field.

Back