Goonies

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did I mention that I followed this link and ordered myself a copy of this Semroc kit? Little pricey, but I can't wait to get my hands on it. I'm debating colors right now...and leaning toward Breast Cancer Awareness pink!

Good choice, hope to see photos of your build.

Here is my clunky interpretation of the Japanese kamikaze attack plane called Ohka (Cherry Blossom).
It was a manned flying plane that was usually carried underneath bombers to within range of its target; on release, the pilot would first glide toward the target and when close enough he would fire the Ohka's rocket engine and guide the missile towards the ship that he intended to destroy. 'Ohka' translates to Cherry Blossom.

I am using this one as a display model. Just don't have enough confidence in flight stability. Adding weight to the nose cone and placing the engine further forward in the body tube might help, however the wing placement will probably contribute to a erratic flight. Than again it is a (kamikaze).

Good luck with your Saki!

Ohka 2.jpg

ohka 1.jpg

Are you kidding me? That is a beautiful Ohka, I bet with the CG set properly it will fly beautifully! Very nice rendition sd_one, very nice indeed!
I made a yellow Vagaboonie this Sunday and I am working on a BQM-74 Chukar scratch and I am leaning to a goon version of it!

749c22f84f85a2486dd1b6a7f20.jpg

IMG_2771.JPG

IMG_2772.JPG

Here is the Nepgoon ready for primer. Beside it is the mock up I made for fin and decal placement. I played with a couple of fin ideas until I settled on reducing the fin size to 60% which is the approximate scale compared to the Neptune.

Also, last night I decided to mock up the shroud for a vulcan goony out of copy paper and a card board bulkhead. I pushed the online transition maker to it's max to get this size and ended up having to do the shroud in two pieces. The bulkhead is a 160% enlargement of the original. I'm thinking the goony vulcan might need some internal support. I'll see how solid it is when made of #110 card stock.

I don't know yet how to approach the fins and paint. I don't have a graphics program or the know how to use one, so I might have to rely on trial and error until I get it right.
IMG_0038.jpgIMG_0039.jpgIMG_0040.jpgIMG_0045.jpgIMG_0046.jpg

Thank you for the kind words, Pepe Le Pew, KidShelleen!
Show 'um if you got 'um…is how this thread got started. Looking at your photos, goonies are here to stay….Vagaboonie…Nepgoon…must stop by Hobby Lobby and pick up another Baby Bertha or two.

The Saki arrived in less than two days after ordering from Erockets!
It's a little smaller than I imagined, but all parts OK. It's a SemRoc kit, and I love their quality!
So, I opened it up, and though I promised myself I'd wait until the weekend, started punching out the balsa fins.
I rolled the clay lump into a cylinder by hand, and inserted it into the hollow balsa wood nose cone (That's a first for me, guys!)
but then knocked off and went to bed before I convinced myself to stay up just another hour and start building... ya, sure...went to bed at 3:30 a.m.

Three more nights until 3:30 a.m. and I've got it done now! Saki is ready to launch!

Voila! Remember the pictures.
I am working on a Gooniot inspired by qquake! Need to finish the decals, so soon we will see it!
Keep building 'em guys, and for those just reading the thread, get to building, we would love to see your project goonies also!

IMG_2773.JPG

Well...I believe Woody's Workshop should blow a bit of dust off the 'ol balsa and cardboard and get with it!
In all seriousness, we would love to see the build for this rocket, I'll be anxiously watching!!!

I took photos most every step of the way, getting ready to post a build thread.
I went to download or off-load the pictures, and was asked if I wanted to format the disc.
"NO", I want the pictures.
There are no pictures. The disc wasn't formated. The wife had cleaned all the old photos off the chip, and not reformated it.
The camera accepts it, but doesn't tell you that it's not formatted, and therefore, is not accepting the photos.
So you keep shooting away, and the camera says it is storing them. But nothing is going onto the chip. You have nothing. At all.
Thanks, honey...

Oh oh... I have done the same thing on MANY occasions!
Not to worry, just keep building!
I bought a "box" of balsa on craigslist a few months ago and I am getting ready to order a bunch of tubes, so I will keep building also!

Cheers!, Joser

Almost done with the NEPGOON. The paint job is finished. I'm waiting some more decals, I messed up the first batch. They were too big, I tried to piece them together on decal paper, the decal paper curled and wouldn't flatten out, and so forth.

IMG_0069.jpg

Decals and a couple of coats of matte to complete.

Now the tough decision of what to do next. I have 3 more goony ideas, a kit bash and 3 Estes kits that I could do,...what to do.

Nice goonie! Kinda reminds me of a seal for some reason... :) Adding nose weight for stability if using 18mm motors? Any thoughts about protecting the lower fins during landing? Rear eject or attach the shock cord externally at the rear so it lands nose first?

There are some awesome goonies in this thread! Have any of the unconventional ones flown, like the F-104s, bomarcs, SR-71, and viper?

Nice goonie! Kinda reminds me of a seal for some reason... :)

Thanks. Looking like a seal keeps with the nautical theme. :D

Adding nose weight for stability if using 18mm motors?
Yup, according to Open Rocket, 0.5 oz should result in a 1.28 cal on a C.

Any thoughts about protecting the lower fins during landing? Rear eject or attach the shock cord externally at the rear so it lands nose first?
I hadn't considered that. I paper laminated the fins so they should be pretty tough. I'm going to consider attaching the shock cord at the rear, good idea.

I'll work on posting the plans with the completed pictures when I'm done.

Almost done with the NEPGOON. The paint job is finished. I'm waiting some more decals, I messed up the first batch. They were too big, I tried to piece them together on decal paper, the decal paper curled and wouldn't flatten out, and so forth.

View attachment 188026

Decals and a couple of coats of matte to complete.

Now the tough decision of what to do next. I have 3 more goony ideas, a kit bash and 3 Estes kits that I could do,...what to do.

Looks nice.

I made a yellow Vagaboonie this Sunday and I am working on a BQM-74 Chukar scratch and I am leaning to a goon version of it!
Okay, some questions. I picked up a Vagabond yesterday at Hobby Lobby on clearance ($6.47) but I never fly D/E engines (huge stockpile of 18mm). I'm torn between building it for 2x18mm or building a Goonie. Does yours use the stock fins, or did you make your own? Are you using any noseweight? And, what engines are you flying it on, and how does it perform? OpenRocket says deployment timing is iffy with this rocket, but there's no replacement for real experience.

My Goonie does not use the stock fins, they are smaller. Here you can see the difference in the original and "goonie" fin. I have up to 18gms of nose weight in the goons. I use A/B/C with delays no longer than 3. (A8-3, B6-3, C6-3). I also use a 6 foot shock cord to attach chute. They fly very well, you will like it. I would build the Vag full size and 2X motor setup, that would be kewl!

IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2787.jpg

IMG_2790.jpg

Thanks for the info! I'm building a collection of BT-60 shorties with core ejection, based on my Mo' Skeeter; it's such a pretty flier that I just have to have more. I just finished a Gooniebird Zero a couple of months back and have another one or two similar rockets not yet finished. Making the Vagabond into a Goonie appeals to my sense of humor.

Unfortunately, I'm still torn... it appears I could get away with using the stock Vagabond fins, possibly also using the slightly longer upper tube from the Vagabond kit instead of the one from the Baby Bertha. Dunno what I'll do.

Here's what I love about the Mo' Skeeter:

20110619-018.jpg

Hey, could we get a "formal" description or definition of exactly what comprises a "Goonie"?

Back