Newest project - Tau Stingray

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragon_rider10

Reaction score
I was trying to keep this under wraps, as I've been a bit frustrated with the progress on the model. The shroud was much more tricky than I anticipated. BUT...it's turning out so cool I had to share it. Inspired by Tony's Steampunk ACME Spitfire, I wanted to really embellish a kit to enhance and personalize it. Give it more flavor than just a new color scheme

My Stingray has been commissioned by the Tau to fight for the greater good.

More detail to follow.

DSC04567.JPG

DSC04568.JPG

DSC04569.JPG

yep, this build has potential! I am seriously looking forward to following this thread :D

That's good to hear! To let you know, the challenges I had with the build are not flaws in the design or instructions. I'm sure you're confident of that with the large number of beautiful Stingrays out there.

I think the primary issue I had was caused by the fact that I wrapped the whole length of the tube in label paper. That threw off the dimensions of the tube just enough to make the shroud not fit properly. I also forgot to label which wing alignment line was which, so I ended up using the wrong lines. The wings are still level, but aren't perpendicular to the engine hook- which threw off the bulkheads and sent me off course. I ended up having to split the shroud in half.

Very, very nice. The additional texture elements are something the kit really needs. Bravo.

(WH40K?)

That beats my stingray for raw firepower. looks good, can't wait to see her painted.

More progress made on this project.
For some reason picasa seems to have removed the ability to link to their albums, so photos are attached instead of inline. Slower and irritating.

First shots show the addition of the cardstock detailing. Armor paneling adds some dimension and texture to the shell and wings.

Next, further plastic detail is added for interest. The things sticking out the back are antennae, not weapons. They'll be painted differently than the weapons.

The final shots show various progress of paint, including the first stages of the hand detailing on the panels and details. Several coats of brushwork will be necessary to produce even tones. After that panels will be outlined and highlighted, decals added and then weathering to follow.

DSC04581.jpg

DSC04582.jpg

DSC04583.jpg

DSC04590.jpg

DSC04591.jpg

Wow - that is indeed sweet!

In a few ways, it reminds me of the electronic STARBIRD space ship toy I had back in the late 1970s.

Latest progress. Highlights roughed in, canopy detail and finishing added, panel lines sketched, weapons detailed. (some removed for painting).

Some surprises encountered- still had paint bleed through under the masking even though I was brush painting.

Almost done, just need to finish detailing the turrett, straighten out the panel lines on the body tube (not aligned properly) and add some decals for flavor.

Some of you may be wondering whether or not the details like the antennas will survive actual flight. I have no clue. But, my thought was to nestle the most fragile ones between the vertical fins, so they'll be protected from impact by those. How this will work with grass as my landing zone (let's hope) i'm not sure.

DSC04612.jpg

DSC04613.jpg

DSC04614.jpg

DSC04615.jpg

DSC04616.jpg

More more more as requested. Final details on attached weapons and paneling. Decals are added and clearcoat applied. One last step. Load it up and let'er rip!

DSC04622.jpg

DSC04623.jpg

DSC04624.jpg

DSC04625.jpg

DSC04626.jpg

Last edited:
Outstanding!

You've done yourself proud and I rather suspect Mr. Flis is extremely pleased with you as well.

This thing is *sweet*!

I love the "movie-spaceship" look all about the thing. Can't wait for a flight report (and pix!)

I really like the "Stingray" One beauty of this kit it ,is just what you did and others-So many dif schemes can be built into this kit. Very nice job and I got some clues,tips,ideas from this thread to use on my upscale Ill attemp this winter.:clap:

Gorgeous! I can't wait to see it on a gaming table, too! :clap:

I thought long and hard about painting it to match my army (my poor Tau have never seen the table, but my Eldar have lost many battles) but I went a different direction limited by my choice of on hand spray paint.

I thought long and hard about painting it to match my army (my poor Tau have never seen the table, but my Eldar have lost many battles) but I went a different direction limited by my choice of on hand spray paint.

:eyeroll:

Bunnell Blast scrubbed AGAIN. This thing may never fly if I wait to show it off in person before I launch it.

Fly it does! This is it on a B6-4.

All the detail bits stayed on, even though the chute didn't completely unfurl. Recovered horizontally.

IMG_3834.jpg

Looking on Google for a photo of one of my builds, turned up a link to this build... Nice!

Back