Estes - Goblin (K-55 or #1255) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm surprised this Classic model wasn't one of the first to be Galleried.
Estes Goblin just naturally falls into one of my favorite Holiday themes for building Rockets that being Halloween.
My first couple D13 powered Goblins were given the cover panel Fluorescent Yellow & Black color scheme..but that just somehow never felt quite right. After loosing Goblin #1 to a D13-5 Cato and #2 to a nasty rocket eating tree. I switches to a more Halloween feeling Orange & Black Paint pattern which i've stayed with ever since. Over time Old #3 started looking pretty ratty (more the 65 flights) so it was rebuilt using as many of the original parts, fins, Nosecone, Motor mount ect as I could. Built a BT-101 based 3X upscale powered by a 5- D12 cluster and had to do a micro 3X downscale as well.
Gotta say I think the Goblin is one of the "gotta have it" Classics for every fleet. I'm sure there are lots of other patterns and color schemes out there:)

Goblin-1-sm_1st Fleet b&w_04-03-71.jpg

Goblin-2-sm_liftoff Suitland Md (Comp. 12-23-71)_04-23-72.jpg

First Fleet-4b-sm_Icarus payloaderGoblin&Gamma_04-26-79.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW micro Those are awesome.. This is another rocket I thenk EVERY rocketeer should have.

Heres my four inch with an even better looking model holding it. (I'll never wash it again)
DSC00818.jpg

DSC00822.jpg

DSC00817.jpg

Well I won't even try to top Mark's photos in post #3 ( :D ), but here's one of my Goblin lifting off during the 2009 Spooky Sport Launch at our Johnstown field. I built it with a 24mm motor mount, but here it is going up on a C6-5 with an adapter. Last Saturday for our 2010 SSL I launched it on a C11-3. It took off like a scalded cat and went nearly out of sight. I always use a small parachute with it instead of the standard streamer because that gives me better odds of following it down as it recovers. Despite that, I have never had an unusually long walk to retrieve it.

Next year maybe on an E20? :eek:

My Goblin 2009-11-1.jpg

My Goblin 2009-11-1-crop & zoom.jpg

My Goblin is a Thrustline clone kit with Excelsior Rocketry decals. :eek:

I do have a few of the Estes originals sealed in the package. :)

Thrustline Goblin.jpg

scratch Green Goblin ,no decals, everything was masked with vinyl paint mask.

estesmask.jpg

greengoblin.jpg

Last edited:
Hopefully these don't offend the purists, but here are a few scratch variations on the theme:

~ BT-20, 13mm MMT, affectionately referred to as the Green Goblin.
~ Paper towel tube, 18mm MMT.
~ 2" mailing tube, 24mm MMT.

Green_Goblin.jpg

Goblin01.jpg

Goblin05.jpg

The Goblin was my favorite rocket back in 1970-71. When I needed to replace my 7.5" rocket that died by cato, I built my first Goblin since then:) It has 8 flights on it, ranging from an Aerotech K700 to a research 98/7680 M1100.

Finished01a.jpg

Under most circumstances I don't appreciate when people create work for me, unless it involves a rocket... The raffle at MWP8 blessed me with a Mark Hayes produced set of "Goblin" vinyl graphics for a four inch airframe. My question is, out of pure laziness, does anyone have a fin template for a four inch Goblin?

Southern 2010 Manchester, TN...

Both rockets were done with LOC tubing and Excelsior decals. The 2.6" featured a custom "Sandman/Excelsior" nosecone and the 4" used an ACE nosecone..The 4" had 2 of it's fin delaminated on a Loki J396 Spitfire on a Cert2 flight. Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYUSWNjqAIA

The next month the 2.6" suffered a CATO on an Aerotech G38 Fastjack..Rebuilds in progress...

Mike

TRA# 5199

Under most circumstances I don't appreciate when people create work for me, unless it involves a rocket... The raffle at MWP8 blessed me with a Mark Hayes produced set of "Goblin" vinyl graphics for a four inch airframe. My question is, out of pure laziness, does anyone have a fin template for a four inch Goblin?

Congratulations.

I would love a picture when its done. let me see if I can dig up a fin template for you..

EDIT: here you go!

4 in goblin pattern.jpg

Last edited:
What's Halloween without a few Goblins running around. This Goblin has an
18 mm Motor mount.

Post copied to gallery with permission

Goblin_c (Large).jpg

Goblin_launch (Large).jpg

Not a day too soon, it's done! Thanks again Mr. Hayes for the generous donation to the MWP8 raffle, and the fin template. And hat's off to Gordy for the beautiful nose cone. It was so purdy I had a hard time putting paint on it! First flight, MWP9, not sure which motor yet.

goblin.jpg

Great gallery! The Goblin was my very first model rocket and remains an all time favorite to this day.

Sadly this Goblin never got its paint and decals, but it flew fantastically. Maybe one day this one can be rebuilt and completed with paint and decals before it flies, I still have the custom decal set and the paint. Just need to find some 10" tubing and the motivation to build the nose cone from scratch.

[YOUTUBE]b5iyCWGjpnk[/YOUTUBE]

Reason it never made it to paint....

https://www.majhost.com/gallery/gregm/goblin/eredit1sm8.5x11mvp5oct07_0176.jpg

https://www.majhost.com/gallery/gregm/goblin/eredit1smmvp5oct07_0177.jpg

Last edited:
Here is mine... a 24mm-powered Semroc Retro-Repo.....

DSCF6004.jpg

Hmmm....never thought of putting an O motor in my K-55... It already goes wicked high on a D12. :eek:

Damn Greg! what size Green motor was that?!? You can still see one fin intact during the
(Not Cato) Explosion pictures!

my 234% upscale hiding behind my semroc version :).

Attachments

• goblins0001.jpg
    goblins0001.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 80
After somehow forgetting to pack my goblin for MWP9, thus not losing, dismembering, or otherwise destroying it, I decided to finish the paint work I envisioned that day when I was mysteriosly mind linked with Scott Sager (scsager). Though he was working in blood, my mind saw more of an oozy gooey substance. This is the result:

goblingoo1.jpg

goblingoo2.jpg

The drips are a nice look with the Goblin paint!

John, the green motor is the same hardware as the flight video. 6" with 27" propellant, mid range O. Although the photo looks really bad, no explosion, just sent the forward bulkhead up through the rocket. The rocket wasn't actually in as bad a shape as you would think. Problem was the tubing used was an odd size I got for free and there was none to repair it.

I'll have two painted Goblin's in the next few weeks. One has flown many times and definitely earned it's colors, it is scratch built stock. The other was started the day I posted the video and pics, it is an upscale using 2.5" tubing, a Semroc balsa nose cone, and has a 29mm motor mount.

Back