Video Editing Software?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
Does anybody know of a simple, good, video editing program? Preferably free. All I need to do is delete parts of a video, and maybe stitch the segments together.

Windows Movie Maker is free with most Windows installations I know of.

I don't like the software very much but it does work and does a reasonable job.

Premier Elements from Adobe is a good product.

Premier Pro is a great one but $$$$$$$$$

Does anybody know of a simple, good, video editing program? Preferably free.

Second the recommendation for Windows Movie Maker - it's already on your Windows machine, and will do everything you asked, plus some.

I have used premiere elements for many movies and it works great! Great software and fairly easy to use.

Matt

I have'nt found any that are free. I have Movie Maker on my machine but my camera creats MOV. files and Movie Maker wont open them. I have found some free software that converts MOV.'s to AVI or Mpeg's but there is a "water mark" or "logo" right in the middle of the screen that you can't get rid of unless you pay$.

For making professional looking videos, Adobe Creative Suite 5 Master collection Includes Premier Pro, and all the other junk the pro's use... $2600.00 :pop:

To quickly trim and splice "keychain" videos, VirtualDub works perfectly, and it's completely free. :D

There are lot's of other things available out there depending upon your needs. The 2 Items I mentioned are both very popular, and work well.

Lots of people get something in between like Sony Vegas or Premier Elements which adds stuff like sound editing and titling etc. both are under $100

I have not had much experience with Windows Live Movie Maker, but It's free too.

Last edited:

I tried Windows Movie Maker, but as far as I can tell, when you trim a video it doesn't actually delete the unwanted footage, it just hides it.

For making professional looking videos, Adobe Creative Suite 5 Master collection Includes Premier Pro, and all the other junk the pro's use... $2600.00 :pop:

To quickly trim and splice "keychain" videos, VirtualDub works perfectly, and it's completely free. :D

There are lot's of other things available out there depending upon your needs. The 2 Items I mentioned are both very popular, and work well.

Lots of people get something in between like Sony Vegas or Premier Elements which adds stuff like sound editing and titling etc. both are under $100

I have not had much experience with Windows Live Movie Maker, but It's free too.

I just tried VirtualDub, and I was able to trim the video. However, for some odd reason it doubled the file size (from 1.1gb to 2.3gb) and messed up the audio.

I have'nt found any that are free. I have Movie Maker on my machine but my camera creats MOV. files and Movie Maker wont open them. I have found some free software that converts MOV.'s to AVI or Mpeg's but there is a "water mark" or "logo" right in the middle of the screen that you can't get rid of unless you pay$.

You are correct that Windows Movie Maker doesn't do MOV, but the new version,
Windows *Live* Movie Maker does work with MOV files, like the ones my Kodak Zi8 creates, and is free for download for Vista and Win 7 installations (don't know if it works with XP, but I sorta doubt it).

I think Pantherjon recommended this in another thread. I have used this a bit and I really like all the features. Freeware found here

I think Pantherjon recommended this in another thread. I have used this a bit and I really like all the features. Freeware found here

:eek: Would have if I had known about it..lol..I use VideoEditMaster..The interface is a little NON intuitive, but once you figure it out it does a pretty good job..Do a search for it at download.com..Gonna have to give the avs4you one a try as well..:)

iMovie - most professional of any OS-included video-editing packages I've ever used. Gotta have a Mac, though.

G.D.

I tried Windows Movie Maker, but as far as I can tell, when you trim a video it doesn't actually delete the unwanted footage, it just hides it.

Working with Movie Maker is a two step process.... after you do all of your edits, add titles and effects and transitions, etc, then you do the second part, which is where the movie is rendered into another file. At that point, you get nothing but the desired video (i.e. nothing is hidden, everything unwanted is deleted).

https://download.cnet.com/YouTube-Downloader/3000-2071_4-10647340.html

This one comes with a nice tool for converting betwen pretty much any video/audio file imaginable. Works for me :)

You must manually delete the portions of unwanted video segments that you trimmed in the timeline or storyboard.

Back