Pemberton Technologies - Kraken Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 24mm version is a nice kit, and an enjoyable build. My kids love them!

Our three are attached below.

The pink and purple one is my daughter's, mine is the red/black, and my son's is the black/red.

Also attached is hers lifting off on a C-11...

Later!

--Coop

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! I'm digging the light body with dark inside the tube fins. I was just thinking about how that might look. I foresee another Kraken in my future. :D

Ever drag race em??

Here's my Ultra Kraken 7.5 inch upscale flying on an AMW N2801 skid:

Nice! I'm digging the light body with dark inside the tube fins. I was just thinking about how that might look. I foresee another Kraken in my future. :D

Ever drag race em??

It was considered, however, putting my kids into a competition against each other often yields one or the other of them going, "But Daaa-aaa-aaad..." and I was out of Excedrin when we last had them at the field at the same time...

Later!

--Coop

Ok folks, this isn't fair......
You have Krakens that are bigger and better looking than mine!
:p

I thought there was some thread on here about you working on an Emperor Kraken... how goes that?

Later!

--Coop

It was considered, however, putting my kids into a competition against each other often yields one or the other of them going, "But Daaa-aaa-aaad..." and I was out of Excedrin when we last had them at the field at the same time...

Later!

--Coop

A pair of F32's aughta solve that. They will be off in such a hurry it would be easy to call a tie :D

Just remember to swap out for smaller chutes :tongue:

Some truly great Kraken's out there that's for sure. Homage to Layne for creating a design that's inspired so many builds.

Here's my L2, Kraken inspired, bird on a J540R.

Has also flown on a J350W to 3317 ft (Raven 2 altimeter).

3 inch Blue Tube, 54mm.

My hat is off to those rocketeers who have cut Blue Tube to the correct Kraken fin layout. I took the lazy route and let the mitre saw do the talking.

lazy mans kraken takeoff.jpg

lazy mans kraken.jpg

WOW!! N2801? K's and L's on a King Kraken?? Trust Layne to give us something that doesnt conform to any stereotypes!

Mine..

3" King Kraken DD
kraken 3.jpgKraken 1.jpg

4" Cray-Ken, really nice flights to 2K on CTI H225WT and H152BS
rocket 2.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NXrHQRCqUA

LPR Kraken with 3x18mm cluster, really screams on C6's
IMG_1934.jpgIMG_1935.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvvagSqQk4g

add to that a box of 3 very dead LPR Krakens....

Coming Soon.... 4" Blue Tube BDK4.0 (Big Dumb Kraken) with 4x38mm power, and a 7.5" "Pre-L3" with 75mm

Last edited:
Welcome to the Pemtech Kraken Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Pemtech Kraken and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

PemTech: King Kraken
PemTech: Kraken:

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
PemTech Kraken Basic Information.

pemberton.gif
Pemberton Technologies (PemTech)

MODEL NAME: Kraken Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer: Layne Pemberton

Type: Tube Fin, Sport
Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 23"
Diameter: 1.6"
Span: 4.7"
Weight:

Mfg. Description: The Krãken (pronounced krã'-kin with a long A) is named after the dark and mysterious creature from the seagoing legends of yore. She is a sleek, black, shapely beauty, featuring our new and unique modified-tube fin construction. She is as much a fantastic flying machine as she is a work of art, created by you. Unlike traditional, and boring, tube fins the King Kraken sports a long leading edge tube fin with a short full tube that has been reported to be 30% more stable than square cut tube fins. Large, long and lean with sexy flowing lines, the Krãken will be sure to turn heads at your next launch.

Kit come complete with preimium balsa nose cone, nose canard pattern, balsa stock, two 18" body tubes for tube fins and airframe, 16" parachute, 60" KEVLAR shock cord, heavy-duty centering rings, extended 24mm motor mount, 1/4" launch lug and our infamous Destruction manual. (PemTech 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

pemtech-kraken-2012%20web.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

pemtech-kraken-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
PemTech King Kraken Basic Information.

pemberton.gif
Pemberton Technologies (PemTech)

MODEL NAME: King Kraken Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer: Layne Pemberton

Type: Tube Fin, Sport
Motor Mount: 1x38mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 41"
Diameter: 3"
Span: 9.3"
Weight: 36oz

Mfg. Description: A Mid and High Power Creature from Ancient Sea Lore

The Pem-Tech King Krãken (pronounced krã'-kin), named for the dark, sinister creature of ancient sea lore, is a one of a kind sport flier featuring our unique, sculpted tube-fin design. She is as much a fantastic flying machine as she is a work of art, created by you. Unlike traditional, and boring, tube fins the King Kraken sports a long leading edge tube fin with a short full tube that has been reported to be 30% more stable than square cut tube fins. Large, long and lean with sexy flowing lines, the King Krãken will be sure to turn heads at your next launch.

Kit comes complete with 3" plastic nose cone, 3" heavy duty body and fin tubes, Heavy Duty 38mm motor mount capable of handling F-I impulse motors, massive plywood centering rings, monstrous 10' shock cord of 9/16" tubular nylon, 1/4" launch lugs, optional 28" chute, sleek 1/8” laser cut ply nose canards (for that sinister Squidlyness), and our infamous Destruction Manual. (PemTech 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

pemtech-king%20kraken-2009%20web.jpg
2009 Web Ad
pemtech-king%20kraken-2012%20web.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

pemtech-king%20kraken-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Here's my Kraken with it's newly finished paint:

image_3.jpeg image_2.jpeg image_1.jpeg

and with the decal applied:

photo.JPG

For posterity: Testor's Lime-Ice Green, and Duplicolor Mirage Purple/Green

Last edited:
Here's my Kraken with it's newly finished paint:

View attachment 102721 View attachment 102722 View attachment 102723

For posterity: Testor's Lime-Ice Green, and Duplicolor Mirage Purple/Green

Ooh, I likey! Especially with that color-changin paint! I'm gonna get me one of these sometime soon. :)
EDIT: Huh, the attachments showed up as links in your posts, but got converted to thumbnails in the quote. Interesting...
EDIT #2: Huh, they changed back to links in the quote after EDIT #1. I wonder if they'll change back to thumbnails after I finish EDIT #2? I'm so easily entertained. :p

Last edited:
what are you doing to my post? :p They were thumbnails when I posted them. When I checked the thread just now, they were links. I edited my post (saved without making any changes) and they are back to thumbnails.

(I too am easily amused.)

I'm still seeing them as links... :confused: :p
EDIT: OK, so I just edited my post in which I quoted your post (saved w/o making changes) and they appeared as thumbnails again. But when I reloaded the page, they were links again. Reloading the page with the pics as links does not seem to turn them back into thumbnails. (This reminds me of those nonsensical logic puzzles that make me go cry in a corner while pulling out my hair in clumps crazy. :rolleyes:)
Sooo... what color elephants can fly to the moon on Tuesdays? ;)

Last edited:
I wanna try, links now.
Edit - test
Edit Edit - still links, I dunno.

Now it has flown, I will stick the pics up here too.

4" airframe, 59" long, four (4) 38mm motor mounts.

Flights so far, 2xH225 to 1000ft

2xJ290's to 2xI170's airstarted 1.5seconds after first motor burnout, alt 6700ft!!

Attachments

• DSCF0626_resize.jpg
    DSCF0626_resize.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCF0616_resize.jpg
    DSCF0616_resize.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCF0659_resize.jpg
    DSCF0659_resize.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Now it has flown, I will stick the pics up here too.

4" airframe, 59" long, four (4) 38mm motor mounts.

Flights so far, 2xH225 to 1000ft

2xJ290's to 2xI170's airstarted 1.5seconds after first motor burnout, alt 6700ft!!

WOw...
Just wow...

I recently picked up a pair of 36" PML 2.6 Phenolic. Quite nice stuff, not the brittle stuff I have seen before. So, what did I do?

3KFNC was born. Pointy end is the nose I stole from my Aerotech Initiator, but, most BT-80 or 2.6 will do. Fins needed by be a little longer to make up for the lack of one of them. I just designed it for maximum length of fin (3 of) that I could get out of the 36" tube. 2oz of nose weight means that I can stick anything from an F through an H (maybe I?) into this baby.

Flew a couple of times last weekend, G80SK, H123SK and H160SK were gobbled up without a problem. 36" X Form chute handled recovery perfectly!

DSCF0666_resize.jpg

DSCF0584.jpg

kraken 1.6.jpgkraken 1.6.2.jpgkraken 1.6.3.jpg
Well, here is my contribution to the Kraken gallery. It is the Kraken 1.6, soon to be the Kraken 1.6.3. It is 1.6 because the first time I tried to launch it, I built my first Aerotech reloadable motor incorrectly, and it blew the ejection at takeoff, causing a zipper all the way to the motor mount. I rebuilt it 6" longer. I didn't really like the look of it though. Layne said it was still stable, so I flew it yesterday anyway. Holy smokes, it disappeared on a f24 something (I am STILL not familiar with those aerotech reloads). I almost lost it on recovery, even with the tiny chute; I guess that happens when it is windy and it pops at 25,000 feet- landed 2 fields away. Anyway, it zippered again, but only 3" as shown in the photo, so the repair will make it 3" longer than stock, thus the 1.6.3. Any ideas on reducing the zippering effect? I am thinking of tying a length of shock cord to it, but I dunno much on zippers. Anyway, the inside of the fins were done with chrome monokote trim; fun stuff to work with.

Back