Pemberton Technologies - Kraken Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
Layne Pemberton's Kraken is a nice variation of the tube finned rocket theme. Instead of 6, he relies on 4 and those are mitered to achieve a unique look. I have a Kraken sitting around someplace but it has not yet been built. I have built the King Kraken and it was a very nice rocket. In fact it was so nice, that some kids driving by decided to toss it into their truck and drive off.:bangbang:

I painted mine black but went with a dark purple for the inside of the tubes. I also used some pink to highlight the edges, much as is seen in some teuthological specimens.

The build thread is in the archive here: https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=48636

The albums are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/collections/72157607641037578/

KK-black-6.jpg

KK-flt-1b.jpg

KK-flt-2b.jpg

KK-flt-1d.jpg

Last edited:
Ooh I remember that story. Sad. :mad:

Squid? :confused2:

We have to get you and Jewel Butler together some day. ;)

Ooh I remember that story. Sad. :mad:

Squid? :confused2:

We have to get you and Jewel Butler together some day. ;)

I saw on EMRR that Jewel Butler was from here in Texas but I've never met him.

Does he like squid?

Just finished off my Kraken kit. :D

It was a fun build and was even more interesting cutting the fins. Nailed them with no problems. Very cool in my books. Colors are Rustoleum Semi-Gloss black and Apple Red. I still need to Pledge Future Wax this baby.

I had to throw some cut vinyl on there being a sign guy. Color matched the red, whipped up a quick graphic, cut it up, and voila! The vinyl is red reflective and is a graphic of two fighting sea monsters wrapped around the tube with the words "KRAKEN" underneath. I am humming and hawing right now about layering some red reflective down in the tubes to match the graphic. It will be an absolute pain to apply being reflective material but would look even cooler. LOL

Pictures are from my cellphone (blurry) as real camera has a dead battery. I'll post a better pic outside when I get my camera charged. These pics don't do it any justice but the rocket looks super cool when you shine a light it.

Here are pics with no flash and with flash. Also one of the graphic laid flat. :)

no flash.jpg

flash.jpg

Kraken screenshot.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

It was a fun build and was even more interesting cutting the fins. Nailed them with no problems. Very cool in my books. Colors are Rustoleum Semi-Gloss black and Apple Red. I still need to Pledge Future Wax this baby.

I had to throw some cut vinyl on there being a sign guy. Color matched the red, whipped up a quick graphic, cut it up, and voila! The vinyl is red reflective and is a graphic of two fighting sea monsters wrapped around the tube with the words "KRAKEN" underneath. I am humming and hawing right now about layering some red reflective down in the tubes to match the graphic. It will be an absolute pain to apply being reflective material but would look even cooler. LOL

Pictures are from my cellphone (blurry) as real camera has a dead battery. I'll post a better pic outside when I get my camera charged. These pics don't do it any justice but the rocket looks super cool when you shine a light it.

Here are pics with no flash and with flash. Also one of the graphic laid flat. :)

Now that is an AWESOME graphic! I love that it's reflective!

Very shweet...
Great work on the graphic!

Here is one more with a better camera. I'll probably shoot this off this weekend and grab a picture or two then as well.

This kit was almost as fun as reading the destructions that came with it. I liked this so much that King Kraken may have to be my step up a bigger rocket. Kudos to PemTech!

Kraken_2.jpg

Last edited:
Here is one more with a better camera. I'll probably shoot this off this weekend and grab a picture or two then as well.

This kit was almost as fun as reading the destructions that came with it. Kudos to PemTech!

I think you might be in the wrong place. THis is a gallery for rocket nuts. You might try Googling "Art Museum".

NICE JOB.

OK So the rocket has been done, the flights have been flown.

Maiden flight was yesterday and snapped some awesome pictures.

One complaint though.

The decals...

I heard Mark made them and I am familiar with his work and product, but for some reason this was out of the ordinary.

I haven't touched them since I got them and after I painted it a week ago it knew it was time for the decals. I knew something was wrong when I tried peeling off the fronting.

Anyway no decals.

IMG_7142.JPG

My favorite photo on a G69Skid (First flight was on a G115WT)

KK%20Skid.JPG

And finally a crappy video of its maiden flight.

[YOUTUBE]eoU77GRzyMM[/YOUTUBE]

Overall great kit and design
THANK YOU SECRET SANTA!!!

Bryce

[POW]Eagle159;213183 said:
WOW, I love that rocket!!!! :D
I've never seen a cut so drastic on a tube fin...also love the colors, I do see the dark sparkly green now... I think I might scratch build a down scale of that... that flies on estes D12's

Fe Dude,Great looking rocket and paint job,Am thinking of upscaling my 24mm Kraken to the King Kraken.Hope it comes out as great looking as yours.

post copied to gallery with permission

Attachments

• IMG_0025.JPG
    IMG_0025.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 98
Finally got around to taking some pictures of my KK. Unfortunately the color is impossible to get a good picture that will do it justice. I certified at Red Glare X on an CTI I180 skidmark with 'er. Graphic is from Stickershock. It also sports Stickershock's Rocket Protectors inside the one tube fin with rail buttons.

Post copied to gallery with permission

IMG_20110618_095959.jpg

IMG_20110618_100119.jpg

IMG_20110618_100038.jpg

Some more pictures in an attempt to get a good shot of the green. Hope, you guys like it. :D

Post copied to gallery with permission

KK01.JPG

KK02.JPG

KK03.JPG

KK04.JPG

KK05.JPG

Recently completed my King Kraken build. Airframe is Chrysler Prowler Purple, interior aspect of tubes done in Valspar Oiled Bronze... and am very, very happy with this.

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

I should say so. How bout some beauty shots in the sunlight. I think it would be better served.

Thanks, you guys! Sunlight photography... an excellent suggestion-- let me coordinate a day where it's actually shining and I'm not working, and I'll see if I can take a few...

Later!

--Coop

Recently completed my King Kraken build. Airframe is Chrysler Prowler Purple, interior aspect of tubes done in Valspar Oiled Bronze... and am very, very happy with this.

Wow, that is beautiful! I'd be afraid to fly it!

Wow, that is beautiful! I'd be afraid to fly it!

Thanks! I'll fly her this Spring, though I do admit a bit of apprehension in doing so--just figure if she gets dinged/chipped/ scared/zippered.... eh. This is why I posted the pics now, right?

I mean.. right?

I mean... Don't you hurt my baby, you mean ol' treeline! **shakes fist**

Later!

--Coop

Well done, young Jedi.

Nice color choice, excellent paint skillz.

Thankee-sai!

I wasn't sure how the Valspar paint would do in this application, and had reservations until the clearcoat hit it. The airframe was going to be a slightly different shade, but the Chrysler paint fell in my lap at an excellent price, so I figured what the hey... the '97 Prowler was a cool color, should work here...

Glad I am not the only one who thinks it did. Seriously, thank you all.

Later!

--Coop

Thanks! I'll fly her this Spring, though I do admit a bit of apprehension in doing so--just figure if she gets dinged/chipped/ scared/zippered.... eh. This is why I posted the pics now, right?

I mean.. right?

I mean... Don't you hurt my baby, you mean ol' treeline! **shakes fist**

Later!

--Coop

You could always wrap it in plastic like my grandmother used to do to her sofa...

--Coop
I actually did zipper mine on it's cert flight, not severe enough to prevent the cert, but still a zipper. I put a wrap of light glass on the inside of the tube and sanded down the NC shoulder in hopes to save the paint job if I choose poorly on the delay again.

I think it saved my bacon in november, either some bonus delay, or I didn't drill deep enough. Either way, my baby was well on its way down before she popped the chute.... no damage. :D

Here's my dual deploy King Kraken. Somewhere I have a picture of its first flight at LDRS30 on an I364FJ (I'll post if I can find it).

6022128577_77de286310_z.jpg

6022685480_e5f3b97a3e_z.jpg

6022128839_ce8a7e0394_z.jpg

6022128971_c16490d020_z.jpg

I like! Any video of this in flight?

Later!

--Coop

I got my first good look at one of these kits last weekend when I RSO'd one at GRITS. Very slick looking kit. Will be going onto my rocket wish list.

Just saw there's a mid-power version of it. If only buying Christmas gifts for myself weren't frowned upon...

My friend launched his 24mm Kraken at RG XI on a D12, it was only wearing underwear, hence the name "Optimus Primer". Almost put an F240 in it. That would have been interesting.

One thing [well, two things] I did not notice on the one I inspected were the forward fins on the nose. Builder must have left them off.

Or I'm just oblivious, even as RSO.

Back