Pemberton Technologies - Kraken Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first thing I'd look at for causing the zippers would be the delay time. My guess is it's either too short or too long. Do you remember what the delay was on the F24? I'm absolutely certain it didn't go to 25,000 feet. 2,500 feet would be doubtful on an F24, especially with the extra weight of the longer body tube. Do you have a total weight for the rocket? What length and material is your shock cord?

I know it didn't go 25k, that was just what it FELT like. It was so high that I could not tell whether the ejection was early or late. As far as the delay grain, I just don't know, and I do know it is important. The shock cord that came with it, hence I am using, was just a length of Kevlar. I thought it was not enough, but I decided to trust the designer on that one...

I know it didn't go 25k, that was just what it FELT like. It was so high that I could not tell whether the ejection was early or late. As far as the delay grain, I just don't know, and I do know it is important. The shock cord that came with it, hence I am using, was just a length of Kevlar. I thought it was not enough, but I decided to trust the designer on that one...

How long was the Kevlar? With Kevlar only, I usually go longer than nylon webbing. Kevlar doesn't stretch like nylon does.

It was the standard length that came with the kit- I didn't measure it, but the destructions said 60". I am just going to add the bungee stretch to the end of it and put in the right ejection delay and hope to be done with it. Probably just fly it with d's from now on anyhoo, since it was immediately off the pad and to altitude with the f. There was no grand show of a liftoff like I really want to see when I launch. I will save the big motors for Pinky's arrow- my 6 foot long Corona (Fliskits) take off, done up in pink glitter and pink mylar "bling" that I made to try and keep my wife interested in rockets.

Sounds short to me, but then I'm often accused of using excessively long shock cords. Up to 30ft in some cases.

Sounds short to me, but then I'm often accused of using excessively long shock cords. Up to 30ft in some cases.

Thought your formula for shock cords was X - 5 Ft, where X= max altitude of rocket :)

I think I like that formula, unfortunately after launching it on an aerotech f24, I don't believe I will have enough room in the tube for all of it. I think I'll stick to the elastic at the end of the Kevlar. Anyway, it is 5:20 AM, and in 10 minutes, I'll be heading down to FT. Myers for a week of work, so the Semroc space shuttle is on the priority list for hotel time. The Kraken will wait till next weekend or so. Good morning to all...

Thought your formula for shock cords was X - 5 Ft, where X= max altitude of rocket :)

That's a really good idea! If it gets stuck on a cloud, I can just grab the shock cord and pull it down.

Bummer on the zipper!
The small diameter KEVLAR cut cut the tube under the right circumstances but it lasts forever. Did you wrap the cord with tape where it met the tube lip?

View attachment 138038View attachment 138039View attachment 138040
Well, here is my contribution to the Kraken gallery. It is the Kraken 1.6, soon to be the Kraken 1.6.3. It is 1.6 because the first time I tried to launch it, I built my first Aerotech reloadable motor incorrectly, and it blew the ejection at takeoff, causing a zipper all the way to the motor mount. I rebuilt it 6" longer. I didn't really like the look of it though. Layne said it was still stable, so I flew it yesterday anyway. Holy smokes, it disappeared on a f24 something (I am STILL not familiar with those aerotech reloads). I almost lost it on recovery, even with the tiny chute; I guess that happens when it is windy and it pops at 25,000 feet- landed 2 fields away. Anyway, it zippered again, but only 3" as shown in the photo, so the repair will make it 3" longer than stock, thus the 1.6.3. Any ideas on reducing the zippering effect? I am thinking of tying a length of shock cord to it, but I dunno much on zippers. Anyway, the inside of the fins were done with chrome monokote trim; fun stuff to work with.

That is cool looking...

When Krakens go wrong

One Skid came to pressure faster than the other, just after the second photo, the late skid lit, luckily putting the rocket horizontal instead of into the floor.

rocketober_2013-53.jpg

rocketober_2013-54.jpg

Some more pics of Polly Kraken squirting ink.
And one DarkMatter vs MetalStorm... the Kraken is on the MetalStorm and came 2/3 in the drag race.

rocketober_2013-70.jpg

rocketober_2013-71.jpg

rocketober_2013-15.jpg

Last edited:
My addition to the King Kraken's. Built this out of used 3" plastic tint tubes from my shop. 38mm motor mount. Turned out nice with this squid fighting his way through the ooze. The eyes idea come from the Gayla Sky Spy plastic kites I used to fly as a kid.

Thanks Layne for some pointers on getting the tubes cut right. Not be forgotten I threw a "King Kraken" name on the backside.

Attachments

• build13.jpg
    build13.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 106
  • build14.jpg
    build14.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 109
My addition to the King Kraken's. Built this out of used 3" plastic tint tubes from my shop. 38mm motor mount. Turned out nice with this squid fighting his way through the ooze. The eyes idea come from the Gayla Sky Spy plastic kites I used to fly as a kid.

Thanks Layne for some pointers on getting the tubes cut right. Not be forgotten I threw a "King Kraken" name on the backside.

WOW! I love it!!!
The green, the ooze, the eyes and the logo. Is that an original? It could be the new King Kraken LOGO.

I just realized I never posted photos of my boys' lpr krakens to this gallery:

IMG_0022.jpg IMG_0024.jpg IMG_0023.jpg IMG_0016.jpg IMG_0015.jpg IMG_0014.jpg

Red/Blue color shift instead of purple/green, and I didn't do quite as many color coats, so the colorshift is less intense. One of them opted for green tube fin interiors like my KK, the other wanted white. I actually really like the way the white came out on his.

Also, at some point I'll finish and post my dual deploy upgrade KK.

King Kraken/Pemberton Technologies:

I have been searching the internet for a King Kraken to build for my L1 or L2 attempt but have not been able to find a kit anywhere. Judging from Pemberton's website, the company has not reopened as plained after moving? I was hoping to either buiild the kit as is, or use the "destructions" to build a 6 foot scaled model using blue tube (great video on YouTube of a scaled version). The most complex part of the build appears to be cutting the tube fins. Is anyone aware of a template or copy of the instructions are posted on how to cut the tube fins?

King Kraken/Pemberton Technologies:

I have been searching the internet for a King Kraken to build for my L1 or L2 attempt but have not been able to find a kit anywhere. Judging from Pemberton's website, the company has not reopened as plained after moving? I was hoping to either buiild the kit as is, or use the "destructions" to build a 6 foot scaled model using blue tube (great video on YouTube of a scaled version). The most complex part of the build appears to be cutting the tube fins. Is anyone aware of a template or copy of the instructions are posted on how to cut the tube fins?
I recently ordered some new stuff from them and they're back at it. Here's a link it is not the scale your looking for but you can contact them for instructions and files. https://www.pembertontechnologies.com/king-kraken/

I really like that one, the ooze and eyes add a lot, and seem to fit the character of the rocket very well.

There are some great variations on the KK here, here is mine, built basically according to the design.

P3171294.jpg

And a flight shot from Red Glare on a H143 SS:

P4060513.JPG

Last fall I built a Kraken out of 38mm bluetube. I turned the nose cone out of red cedar. First flight will be in a couple of weekends. :D

Attachments

• Kraken03.jpg
    Kraken03.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Kraken04.jpg
    Kraken04.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Kraken Nosecone.jpg
    Kraken Nosecone.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 42
Last fall I built a Kraken out of 38mm bluetube. I turned the nose cone out of red cedar. First flight will be in a couple of weekends. :D
So, who turned your nose cone? Can/will they do larger diameters? I'd love to have one that fits either a LOC 3.9" body tube or a PML phenolic 98mm tube.

Hey Marten, what's up with the light in your King Kraken. Was that just for the shoot, or do you launch like that?

Hello Kuirin, that was just for effect, for the photo. I put red bike lights behind the rocket, and white lights in the tube fins. Those tube fins do open up some interesting possibilities for night lighting, though.

Found it! I knew I had a video somewhere of the Kraken launching. This is a cropped screen shot from a video taken at pre-dawn. The motor was a black powder D IIRC. With the low light conditions, it looks like a poor man's sparky.:D
vlcsnap-2020-02-09-16h05m06s518 (2).png

Back