Estes - Der Red Max (KC-2 or #0651) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRIFFIN

Reaction score
The Red Max has always been my fovorite rocket ,my first one when I was a kid.
(I bet a ton of people say that EXACT same thing)

This is my 4" upscale. It was my fisrt scratch project and my L1 cert rocket.
It just flew last weekend on an I357 for a great-straight flight.

I have few launch pics that have come out anything but blurry.

Red Max 2.jpg

rockets 111509 006.jpg

Last edited:
Me either.

It's just a coincidence that I have a Goony Max, a Red Max, a Big Red Max all awaiting decals and have a Mini Red Max, a Grosser Vati (Big Daddy) and a Fat Max (Fat Boy) on the work bench.

My first Red Max was the Estes Citation version released by Estes in the early 1970s. I flew it quite often in my local schoolyard on B4-2 motors. I still have it.

A few years ago, I ordered a Thrustline clone of the Big Red Max and have flown it several times.

Finally, I bought and built the current Estes Red Max kit and the Mini Max.

I have an ORI Das Blue Max kit around somewhere...

Thrustline Der Big Red Max.jpg

Estes Max Twins.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Me either.

It's just a coincidence that I have a Goony Max, a Red Max, a Big Red Max all awaiting decals and have a Mini Red Max, a Grosser Vati (Big Daddy) and a Fat Max (Fat Boy) on the work bench.

Oh I HATE to hear that... Naked rockets, What a shame.. :roll:

Here's my contribution.. 5.5" scratch built. Duel deploy 54mm with 3 29mm's for airstarts.. I SERIOUSLY love this rocket it flys SO well. just like an Estes Der RED Max

derredoct2.jpg

On a CTI blue streak J motor

derredmaxctilbluestreak2-1.jpg

My "Der Red Max" built in spring 1983.

The picture below was made just before launch on 26. Sept. 2010:

Der_Red_Max_Sept.2010.jpg

Still going strong :clap:

Here is a recent build of a Mini-Max. I wanted to use some Flourecent Orange on a rocket and this was a cheap model from Hobby Lobby. Kinda matches the streamer :cool:

mini-max 1.jpg

mini-max 2.jpg

mini-max 3.jpg

Not really a Red Max though.
Someone should start a "Goonie-ized" gallery,
so that all those cool models have a proper thread.

Remember, the main purpose of the gallery section is to show variations on a theme. Starting with the original Der Red Max, lots of cool designs have been derived from it. Some are rescales, some are color variations and, yes, some are goonified. What unites them all is a common origin.

We do have a Goonie section and I invite postings there for all the great goons people have come up with but there is nothing to stop posting in the gallery to demonstrate the "goonie" or any other, variation on the theme.

I carefully reviewed the Gallery posting rules and guidelines before posting my pictures here. This gallery seemed to be where they belonged. My DFM is as much of a Der Red Max as the previously posted pink and blue ones. The Der Pink Max and the Der Blue Max aren't orthodox DRMs either. If their pictures belong here, then so do mine.

I also don't think that there is anything in the rules that prohibits posting the same rocket in more than one gallery, as long is it truly belongs in them. So my rocket could go into a generalized Goony gallery, too. I can't imagine any other likely gallery that it could go into, so those two would be it. There wouldn't be any indiscriminate cross-posting, and gallery themes would remain consistent and meaningful.

Last edited:
I carefully reviewed the Gallery posting rules and guidelines before posting my pictures here. This gallery seemed to be where they belonged. My DFM is as much of a Der Red Max as the previously posted pink and blue ones. The Der Pink Max and the Der Blue Max aren't orthodox DRMs either. If their pictures belong here, then so do mine.

I also don't think that there is anything in the rules that prohibits posting the same rocket in more than one gallery, as long is it truly belongs in them. So my rocket could go into a generalized Goony gallery, too. I can't imagine any other likely gallery that it could go into, so those two would be it. There wouldn't be any indiscriminate cross-posting, and gallery themes would remain consistent and meaningful.

I agree....All Max's welcome. I think they look good in yellow and black too!!

Here is my Mini Max. Grandson(8) used it to win his division of a closest to the pad compatition.:clap:
This is my best finished rocket and one of few that are finished as the package shows.
I will be building a Red Max this winter I hope.

10312010 026.jpg

Here's a Big Fluorescent Green Max launching under 3xC65 and it's Fluorescent Orange Max about to launch under C6-0 to D12-3 power.

Greenie died a few launches later (deployment failure, rapid lawndart into the ground, just garbage remaining). This orange one remains in good shape though the parachute blew away during the launch pictured here. Tumble recovery! :) Otherwise, I wouldn't have got it back because the wind picked up just as it launched.

Green Max Cluster Launch 2.jpg

ORange MaxII with booster.jpg

How's this for typical; I built my MAX clone only to have Estes rerelease it less than three months later. I got the Idea to make a downscale and "WAM!!" You all know the rest. I have a 5" HP upscale in the works. Not too worried about Estes undercutting that one though :D. Think I'll hit up Stickershock for that one.

Drm.jpg

How's this for typical; I built my MAX clone only to have Estes rerelease it less than three months later. I got the Idea to make a downscale and "WAM!!" You all know the rest. I have a 5" HP upscale in the works. Not too worried about Estes undercutting that one though :D. Think I'll hit up Stickershock for that one.

my 5.5" der red max is on of my all time favorite rockets to flt. it's the perfect size..

I've always been a big fan of the Red Max. Here are some of mine:

~ Der Red Bird Max Zero -- BT-60, 24mm MMT
~ Der Red, White, & Blue Max -- BT-55, 24mm MMT
~ Little Red Max -- bottom BT is BT-20
~ Mini Red Max -- BT-20, 13mm MMT
~ Two-stage Red Max -- BT-55, 18mm to 18mm

DRBMZ_01.JPG

DRW&BM.jpg

Little_Red_Max.jpg

Mini_Max_02.JPG

Red_Max_05.jpg

Back