PML - MR1 Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
The MR1 looks like a piece of ordnance. It was my first, and so far only, time to work with Quantum Tubing. It has also been my only experience to date with piston ejection. With both, I have had issues but both have grown on me over time.

I finished mine rather plainly. In fact, I thought I was done with it and someone posted a picture of his own with red on the tip of the NC. I decided to do the same and it made the rocket look even more like a piece of ordnance, and better as well.

The TRF thread is here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=451

The albums are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/collections/72157613215055733/

MR1-done-2.jpg

MR1-f1c.jpg

MR1-f1b.jpg

MR1-f1d.jpg

Last edited:
What issues did you have with the QT and piston? Bill

With the QT, it was just a totally unfamiliar material. It took me a while to get used to how it cuts, accepts paint, etc. I have no complaints against it, it was just new to me.

The piston is something I've come to appreciate more with time. It too was new but seemed like an excellent idea. On the first few flights, though, I had no feel for how tight was too tight. I kept having to sand it down but did not want to sand it too far and risk melting a chute. Sometimes, it would seem to slide fine and then bind up. When a member of my club who was more familiar with them helped me out, I got a better feel for how its supposed to be.

I really have no complaints with either, it was mostly a matter of gaining experience.

A scratch upscale MR-1 I did.

NC - 4"
BT - 3"
Height - 37"
MM - 54mm
Fins - 1/8" Birch.

TestPhotos054.jpgMR2 G67R 2.jpgMR2 G64C.jpg

I finished mine rather plainly. In fact, I thought I was done with it and someone posted a picture of his own with red on the tip of the NC. I decided to do the same and it made the rocket look even more like a piece of ordnance, and better as well.

Actually, it was a yellow tip :) https://www.rocketryforum.com/showpost.php?p=7697&postcount=57

Here's some of my Favorite Pics of my MR-1 in action.

37656_447119825188_644005188_6489575_3563786_n.jpg

CTI F240

My scratch upscale MR-1, The MR-2

NC - 4"
BT - 3"
Height - 37"
MM - 54mm
Fins - 1/8" Birch

Motor CTI I195RL 3G 38mm

IMG_0916.jpg

Here is my newest addition to my fleet - PML MR-1. Little borther to my Madcow Honest John and Binder Design Jackhammer. I used rail button stand offs from Dog House Rocketry worked well.

PML MR-1 button top.jpg

PML MR-1 button bottom.jpg

PML MR-1.jpg

Heres my MR1, just waiting for the HAMR Retainer. Cant wait to fly it!

I'm just about ready to paint mine. I hadn't thought of using orange with the Air Force decals. That looks really good. Those white tipped fins do it a lot of justice also.

Welcome to the PML MR-1 Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the PML MR-1 and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

PML: MR-1:

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
PML MR-1 Basic Information.

pml.gif
Public Missiles, LTD (PML)

MODEL NAME: MR-1 Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Pseudo Ordnance
Motor Mount: 1x29mm or 1x38mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 25"
Diameter: 2.1"
Span:
Weight: 24 oz

Mfg. Description: MR1

Introducing the very unique, military style MR1. It would be easy to envision our ground troops using similar designs on the battle field. The MR1 stands 25" tall. The major diameter is 3" while the minor diameter is 2.1" tubing. The MR1 weighs in at 24 ozs., and comes with a 24" `chute. It is designed to fly on high impulse F and G motors for Pre-Cert flights and most H and I motors for Cert 1 flights. The MR1 comes with a 29mm motor mount standard, but is available with a 38mm mount for no extra charge; click the box in the upgrade section below. (To use 38mm mount with 29mm motors, purchase the optional ADPTR-38/29). (PML 2013 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

pml-mr%201-2009%20web.jpg
2009 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

pml-mr%201-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
With so much overcast lately I can't seem to get the quality pic I'd like to post but this MR 1 was done with metallic auto paints that are NOT shimmering like I had hoped they would. Anyhoo, here it is.

DSCF2904.JPG

Asheriff very nice paint, I think I want to build one of those now.

I always loved the PML MR-1 Kit so once I heard they were discontinuing it, I had to get one. I also did 2 up scales over the years. One with a 3" BT, 4" NC and 54mm MM. the other with a 4" BT, 6" NC and 75mm MM.

biX08YB.jpg
Gary,

How much nose weight did you use for those?

Back