SCALE - Nike Smoke Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cross-posted in Midpower Forum:

I'd been trying to find a midpower-sized Nike Smoke kit for under $100, and discovered that Discount Rocketry (ModelRockets.us) had an in-house kit made of the famous sounding rocket, characterized by its unique red-and-yellow fin pattern, short, squat body, and conical nosecone, which housed a liquid titanium-chromate mixture designed to emit smoke for meteorological purposes.

The kit came nicely packed in a clear plastic envelope. Instructions were well-written and easy to comprehend. Materials were of high grade - nice, hard, flat 1/8" ply which is laser cut, a pre-cut centering ring set which snapped together beneath the tube to form a rigid TTW, fin-can-style of construction, and a polyurethane nose cone which looked a little sad, but cleaned up really well. Recovery materials are top grade - the chute is a thick type of nylon which seems to naturally open up. The generous 2.64" body tube gives the chute plenty of room for loose packing and easy body-tube-evacuation. The kit comes with two "United States" decals; they look like they're on slide paper but they're "peel n' stick;" I had dunked one in water only to discover that it wasn't the way to go (LOL).

I've flown the bird on an Aerotech motor - a G-76-8W. It went up straight as a ruler and deployed at apogee. The chute is large at 24" for the rocket's low weight (advertised at 12 oz; mine weighs in at 14.3 with an Aeropac retainer, and the requisite, copious amounts of glues and paints us BAR-types like to slather upon our rockets) so performance is striking.

Support from the team at ModelRockets.us is top shelf. Ruby and Jim take care of their customers like nobody's business. After my initial flight, I snapped the photos below and sent them to the team. You'll notice I have a launch lug missing; I don't know when that came off the bird (probably during takeoff or at ejection, when lots of "bad things" start to happen to models) and Jim and Ruby noticed it too - they're sending me another lug, free of charge. It's that sort of "small-business attention" that makes retailers in this industry stand out, and Discount Rocketry certainly does good on that count.

The only cons I'd have to say about the kit would be some of the prep on the rocket tube was a little "off," which I corrected easily enough. The "locked tight" structure of the snap-in fin cuts on the centering rings really served to get everything square. The fins are laser-straight on the body. The nose cone wasn't perfectly molded. Looking back, this is such a nice-looking scale bird, I wish I'd built up the fins to have the "double-diamond" shape which is characteristic of sounding rockets. It would have required a little extra time invested in prepping the fins but I suspect that for "scale hounds" like me, it would have made this kit even more convincing.

Pros? Almost too numerous to list. The fin can is a joy. I LOVE the parachute; I think it might just outlast the airframe (that's only if my engines hang together). The ply was beautiful. I love the light weight, although I expect to get my exercise in during the club launches. The build was a little frustrating but also lots of fun.

You're probably waiting for the pics:

img3506vn.jpg

img3507xpl.jpg

img3508fj.jpg

img3512z.jpg

img3513sf.jpg

img3514pt.jpg

I have no pics of the flight or launch. I wasn't prepared this weekend to shoot as much footage as I should have taken. I will get some pics and vid an post them here later.

Post copied to gallery with permission

Last edited by a moderator:
ModelRockets.US Nike Smoke 2.6 (#01039) Basic Information.

model_rockets_dot_us.gif
ModelRockets.US

MODEL NAME: Nike Smoke 2.6 Also known as:

NUMBER: #01039

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Scale
Motor Mount: 1x29mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 36.75"
Diameter: 2.64"
Span:
Weight: 12 oz

Mfg. Description: Sport scale model of the real sounding rocket that NASA used to check the atmosphere for wind shear before every Apollo/Saturn launch!

ModelRockets.us Expert Series rocket kits include a "Interlock Fin Can" that builds in minutes with strong birch plywood parts that Interlock together to produce an easy to assemble strong motor mount.

Includes:
Decals
Full Color Photo Instructions on CD
Scale data and Images on CD
Open Rocket Software & Flight Simulations on CD

Requires paint (not Included) to appear as pictured.

For experienced rocketeers that fly composite model rocket motors. (ModelRockets.US 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

modelrockets%20us-nike%20smoke%2026%2001039-2012%20web%20livery.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
I built mine mosly according to the instructions. modifications include, Ubolt shock cord anchor in the forward centering ring, wire leader attached to the ubolt to allow an unobstructed body tube so I could use a chute protector.
edit-added pic of modded motor mount

nike 001.jpg

Attachments

• Estes_psii_Nike_Smoke.ork
    2.7 KB · Views: 91
  • nikesmoke 001.jpg
    nikesmoke 001.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited by a moderator:
Mines stock other than a Kevlar shock cord looped and attached to the motor mount and 1010 rail buttons. Well and the slightly different paint job.

TA

Attachments

• pad7.jpg
    pad7.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 100
  • nike2.jpg
    nike2.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 96
  • nike3.jpg
    nike3.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 95
  • nike4.jpg
    nike4.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 94
Estes Nike Smoke (#9704) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Nike Smoke Also known as: Pro Series II Nike Smoke

NUMBER: #9704

Introduced: 2012
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Scale
Motor Mount: 1x29mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 41.8 in. (106.2 cm)
Diameter: 3 in. (7.6 cm)
Span:
Weight: 17.5 oz. (496.1 g)

Mfg. Description: Pro Series II

Added to the ever popular and growing Pro Series II line of model rockets, the Nike Smoke is a must have addition to your collection.

The Nike Smoke 1 to 5.5 scale model launches on composite motors and has through the wall fin mounting. An awesome feature to this series is the new quick release motor retention system (Motor Retainer Set - also sold separately). Though massive looking, the construction of this kit is not difficult. Building and finish work can easily be accomplished over a few days.

Sure to be a crowd pleaser, the Nike Smoke is a must have! (Estes 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

estes-nike%20smoke%209704-2012%20web.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

estes-nike%20smoke%209704-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-nike%20smoke%209704-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
I built mine mosly according to the instructions. modifications include, Ubolt shock cord anchor in the forward centering ring, wire leader attached to the ubolt to allow an unobstructed body tube so I could use a chute protector.
edit-added pic of modded motor mount

Hey Rex, did you make that u-bolt out of threaded rod?

probably shouldn't have...but yes. I had a 2-56 all-thread push rod left over from a boat project, just bent it around a plastic rod & trimmed off the excess.

probably shouldn't have...but yes. I had a 2-56 all-thread push rod left over from a boat project, just bent it around a plastic rod & trimmed off the excess.

Clever idea!

thanks. I'll see if I can get a better shot of the u-bolt for my next bird (and post it under 'techniques and tips', the bird itself is a 'dark brown' project)

My level 1 scratch build...

3.25" mailing tube.

scrap wood 1/8" ply fins

nose cone made from glued together scrap 2x6's turned on my lathe...them hollowed out.

screen door motor retainers about $0.50

motor mount tube found in my pile...home made centering rings...same scrap ply as the fins.

borrowed parachute

Borrowed motor case (29mm)

Mooched H128 med reload...you know...like mooch me a smoke?:eyeroll:

Paint $6 (two cans)

Total investment $6.50

And my Smokin' Deuce!

Nike Smoke is a great rocket!

Here's my scratch built Nike smoke. Unfortunately, these may be the last photo's of the rocket, as I was unable to find it in the swamp at Bong today :< otherwise it was a picture perfect launch on an Aerotech J250.

dsc_5158_thumb.jpg
dsc_5159_thumb.jpg

dsc_5159.jpg

Here my Estes Nike Smoke with which I did my Level 1 on May 17, 2014

Estes_Nike_Smoke_DD.jpg

Close-up fins:
Estes_Nike_Smoke_Fins.jpg

Close-up E-Bay:
Estes_Nike_Smoke_Ebay.jpg

Here my Estes Nike Smoke with which I did my Level 1 on May 17, 2014

Estes_Nike_Smoke_DD.jpg

Close-up fins:
Estes_Nike_Smoke_Fins.jpg

Close-up E-Bay:
Estes_Nike_Smoke_Ebay.jpg

Your rockets always look like they should be the "catalog shots"

Well done!

Here is a uploaded photo of the Garibaldi Full Scale Nike SmokeGaribaldi Nike Smoke.jpg or you can view it herehttps://www.flickr.com/photos/jurvetson/1497668669/in/photostream/

Color scheme from this documentary:
[video=youtube;_UwDvZ0QZs0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UwDvZ0QZs0[/video]

Attachments

• NikeSmoke.jpg
    NikeSmoke.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 83
My PSII Nike Smoke on the rail prior to its first flight on 1/15/2017 at Redmond, WA
_DSC3150.jpg

The rocket is slightly modified from stock, with an Aeropack retainer, a kevlar shock chord in place of the stock Estes elastic one, and decals from Stickshock. I think that the standard Nike Smoke paint scheme is tiring, so when I saw a few photos of the coupe that actually flew green like this, I had to go with that paint scheme!

I flew it twice that day.

First flight on a F40W. An 8 second delay was perfect for this motor.
_DSC3168A WM copy.jpg

Second flight on a G53FJ. A perfectly straight boost and ejection just after apogee.
_DSC3207A WM copy.jpg

I think that the standard Nike Smoke paint scheme is tiring, so when I saw a few photos of the coupe that actually flew green like this, I had to go with that paint scheme!
Agree.
A2F417AA-CDDB-4303-A385-011EE78051CE.pngIMG_1360.JPG
The copper-colored fin can and dull black body w/white cone is my fav NS skin.

I've built two of the Estes Nike Smokes and have five or six flights under my belt using F26 engines. And have one more kit in the closet, ready to build when a tree eats my current one.

It was my introduction to Aerotech higher power motors.

Is Estes kit still available?

I didn't know the story of the Nike Smoke and its apt name and its role in studying upper level winds to aid rocket design. Over one hundred of them were launched in the '60s from the Cape and Wallops. Must have been a cool job...

Last edited:
Hell
Level 3 October 2006
G. Harry Stine Launch - Phoenix, AZ
Polecat 10" Nike Smoke
11'8" length
52 pounds at liftoff
4,200 ft.

View attachment 40633

View attachment 40634
Hello GTM. I too have a 10” Nike smoke that I purchased directly from Andy Woerner when he owned polecat aerospace. I have moved many times since I bought it back in 2008. Just curious if you might have the original assembly instructions? I had the altimeter bay tube get damaged and am doing my darndest to find cardboard tubing the same size. I am finally trying to achieve my level 3 being that I am no longer moving. I have lost all of the paperwork and assembly instructions. I have reached out to all of the different owners of Polecat Aerospace and now Madcow has also sold it off and that company can’t be reached. Any help would be highly appreciated.

sincerely

S Lee Roy Wilson
TRA# 05367

Back