LOC - Onyx (PK-12) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHamel

Reaction score
My Loc Onyx painted with Rustoleum Metallic Silver and Metallic Black.

LocOnyx.jpg

Flying on an AT F40-7.

[YOUTUBE]CzBXzRMWCpY[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:
So finally, I've finished painting my Onyx, so i decided to upload a few pictures... Also, I've finished filing the 29mm motor retention clips out of 1/16" aluminum sheet. Due to its amazing color scheme, I call it the "maniacal zebra," and I plan to add Red Arrow Hobbies 12" and 18" payload bays to fit a keychain camera. I'll keep uploading pictures as the build runs along.

Here's some for starters.

View attachment 43206
View attachment 43207
View attachment 43208

Attachments

• onyx1.jpg
    onyx1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 97
  • onyx2.jpg
    onyx2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 98
  • onyx3.jpg
    onyx3.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 97
View attachment 50507

This is my Onyx who went AWOL on it's maiden voyage on an F40.

Very nice--you have my condolences. The Onyx is a great classic. I lost mine on a maiden flight in "92. It appears that it is a difficult rocket to find--especially in tall grass. I have been fighting the urge to replace it for many years--I am about to give in and buy another--I really miss my Onyx.

I started construction on it back in 1997.
I finally flew it this year on a K 1100 from 1998.
There were suppose to be three I 200 but they never lit.

JD

Onyx2XLjd.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my Onyx.

Painted with Duplicolor Mirage Purple/Green on nosecone and fins, and Mirage Ice on the body tube.

DSCN1347.JPG

Welcome to the LOC Onyx (PK-12) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the LOC Onyx (PK-12) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

LOC: Onyx: PK-12

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
LOC Onyx (PK-12) Basic Information.

loc.gif
LOC/Precision

MODEL NAME: Onyx Also known as:

NUMBER: PK-12

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x29mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 25.25"
Diameter: 3.1"
Span:
Weight: 13oz

Mfg. Description:

One of the original Novice Series kits the Onyx has a large diameter and stout appearance which makes this bird a natural for sport flying. A single G motor can propel this vehicle to 1800 ft. All LOC/PRECSION PK series kits include heavy duty airframe and motor mount tubes, high-grade precision-cut plywood fins, centering rings, rip-stop nylon parachute or streamer, nylon elastic shock cord and mount, launch lug, polypropolene nose cones and instructions. (LOC 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

loc-onyx%20pk12-2010%20cat.jpg
2010 Catalog
loc-onyx%20pk12-2007%20web.jpg
2007 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

loc-onyx%20pk12-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

loc-onyx%20pk12-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads
OnyxDD: my first dual deployment rocket

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Applied decal to my Onyx today, I renamed it whiplash. (It can fit a 6 grain motor) :

My sister is the model:

2f7622e9-5d51-4fbf-8420-041255520e2b_zps3a390609.jpg

And another picture:

592_zps1eaf2d83.jpg

One of the fins is Carbon Fibered, the other 2 are just coated in epoxy and sanded.

Last edited:
How about a slightly stretched, glassed fin can, zipperless Onyx designed around a 29/240 case? I have said it many time before, I love the Onyx.

DSC_0001-L.jpg

DSC_0007-L.jpg

DSC_0004-L.jpg

Back