Centuri - Aero-Dart Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Initiator001

Reaction score
All of Semroc's rocket kits are great but I really like their SLS series.

The SLS Aero-Dart is modeled on the late 60s-early 70s Centuri/Enerjet Aero-Dart kit which was the third or fourth Centuri kit named Aero-Dart. The Semroc version has quality parts and is a solid build.

I built mine to be flown at NARAM-49 where it turned in a great flight.

Semroc SLS Aero-Dart Finished.jpg

Semroc SLS Aero-Dart launches on AeroTech E15-4W at NARAM-49.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Centuri/Enerjet Aero-Dart model went through several design changes over the years ending with the release of the Enerjet Aero-Dart kit in 1972.

Thanks to Semroc, I was able to get laser-cut fins of this kit (These fins are different from the ones in the Semroc SLS Aero-Dart kit) along with all the other parts I needed. It helped to have an original Enerjet Aero-Dart kit still in the package. ;)

I bought enough parts to build the three different finishing schemes shown in the Aero-Dart instructions and catalog/advertising pictures. One was flown at NARAM-49.

Enerjet Aero-Darts with box.jpg

Enerjet Aero-Dart awaiting launch at NARAM-49.jpg

Enerjet Aero-Dart E15-4W ignition at NARAM-49.jpg

NOTE: I merged the 2 Aero Dart Threads into a Centuri Based thread since Centuri was th prototype.

I wasn't done with the Enerjet Aero-Dart model, yet.

I decided my special project for NARAM-52 would be an upscale Aero-Dart. The original Aero-Dart was 2.04" in diameter, my upscale would be 2.64" in diameter and nearly 43" tall.

Thanks, again, to the wonderful efforts of the Semroc staff, I was able to get custom laser-cut fins, cut to length and slotted body tubes.

The model was finished in time for NARAM-52. Before it's flight, I asked Carl McLawhorn of Semroc to pose for a picture while holding the Maxi Aero-Dart. :D

I flew the model on an AeroTech F20-4W for a great flight and recovery. :)

Aero-Darts.jpg

N52 MAD with Carl.jpg

N52 MAD awaiting launch at NARAM-52.jpg

N52 MAD launch on an AeroTech F20-4W motor.jpg

N52 MAD climbing under F20-4W motor.jpg

I wasn't done with the Enerjet Aero-Dart model, yet.

I decided my special project for NARAM-52 would be an upscale Aero-Dart. The original Aero-Dart was 2.04" in diameter, my upscale would be 2.64" in diameter and nearly 43" tall.

Thanks, again, to the wonderful efforts of the Semroc staff, I was able to get custom laser-cut fins, cut to length and slotted body tubes.

The model was finished in time for NARAM-52. Before it's flight, I asked Carl McLawhorn of Semroc to pose for a picture while holding the Maxi Aero-Dart. :D

I flew the model on an AeroTech F20-4W for a great flight and recovery. :)

So that's what he looks like!

I love these nostalgic rockets.

NOTE: I merged the 2 Aero Dart Threads into a Centuri Based thread since Centuri was th prototype.

I think these should remain different threads.

In 1972, Enerjet and its products were spun off into it's own product catalog different from Centuri. Enerjet products were sold as Enerjet, no relation to Centuri.

See this article about the history of Enerjet written by some sort of hobby rocketry historian. :rolleyes: :D

https://launchhistory.com/history/centuri/4-the-enerjet-story

I think these should remain different threads.

In 1972, Enerjet and its products were spun off into it's own product catalog different from Centuri. Enerjet products were sold as Enerjet, no relation to Centuri.

See this article about the history of Enerjet written by some sort of hobby rocketry historian. :rolleyes: :D

https://launchhistory.com/history/centuri/4-the-enerjet-story

That is a nice article and I appreciate the link.

I wasn't trying to suggest that the Enerjet and Centuri rockets were identical any more than the Semroc SLS version is identical to the Centuri. They've been grouped because they derive from the same original design.

When we were working out the guidelines for this section, the thread names were going to follow the formula Original manufacturer - Prototype Name and Derivatives Gallery. We dropped the "derivative" as being too verbose but the intention was and has been to highlight variations on themes.

Here is my clone of the FIRST Aero-Dart, as it appeared in the 1962 Centuri catalog:
aerodart_i_lo.jpg

I only had the provided measurements and photo to go by, so who knows exactly how close it is to the original.
I also cloned the SECOND iteration of the Aero-Dart, from the 1964 Centuri catalog:
aerodart_ii_lo.jpg

Again, lots of guesswork. The photo was B&W so I don't know if the colors are correct.

The last "Mini-Max era" Aero-Dart does feature in a color catalog photo (1971) so I know I got the paint job mostly right on this one:
aerodart_pose.jpg

Welcome to the Centuri Aero-Dart Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Centuri Aero-Dart and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Centuri: Aero-Dart: KF-2
Centuri: Aerp-Dart: KFS-9
Centuri: Aero-Dart: KF-12 or #5182
Enerjet: Aero-Dart: KE-12 or #5182
Semroc: SLS Aero-Dart: KV-6

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Centuri Aero-Dart (KF-2) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

Aero-Dart

KF-2

Introduced: 1962
Final Year: 1964
Designer: Lee Piester

Type: Sport
Motor Mount:
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length:
Diameter: 1.5"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: Designed for use with F-type rocket engines. Single-stage model with high altitude capabilities. Chute recovery system brings Aero-Dart safely back to earth, ready for another flight. (Centuri 1962 Catalog)

centuri-aerodart%20(kf2)-1962%20cat%20livery%20copy.jpg
Centuri 1962 Catalog
centuri-aerodart%20(kf2)-1964%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1964 Catalog

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Centuri Aero-Dart (KFS-9) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

Aero-Dart

KFS-9

Introduced: 1965
Final Year: 1966

Type: Sport/payload
Motor Mount:
Length:
Diameter: 1.75"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: All new - - from cone to fins! High performing single-stage operating model rocket with high altitude capabilities. New payload compartment provides more space for live biological specimans or instrumentation. New positive chute recovery system brings the Aero-Dart and its payload safely back to earth - ready for another flight. (Centuri 1965 Catalog)

centuri-aerodart%20(kfs9)-1965%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1965 Catalog

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Centuri Aero-Dart (KF-12 or #5182) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

Aero-Dart

KF-12 or #5182

Introduced: 1967
Final Year: 1971

Motor Mount:
Length:
Diameter: 1.75"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: All new - - from cone to fins! High performing single-stage operating model rocket with high altitude capabilities. New payload compartment provides more space for live biological specimens or instrumentation. New positive chute recovery system brings the Aero-Dart and its payload safely back to earth - ready for another flight. (Centuri 1967 Catalog)

=====

1968 Catalog text identical to 1967 Catalog

=====

Centuri's highest altitude, high performance, single-stage payload rocket. Large (1.75" x 6") payload compartment provides plenty of space for live biological specimens or instrumentation. Positive parachute recovery system with "safety secure cable" brings the AERO-DART and its payload safely back to earth. Launch it many, many times. Simply install new engine for each flight. Engine mounts and recovery harness are pre-installed at factory, fins are pre-marked. (Centuri 1969 Catalog)

=====

1971 Catalog text identical to 1969 Catalog

centuri-aerodart%20(kf12)-1967%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1967 Catalog
centuri-aerodart%20(kf12)-1968%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1968 Catalog
centuri-aerodart%20(kf12)-1969%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1969 Catalog
centuri-aerodart%20(kf12)-1971%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1971 Catalog

centuri-aerodart%20(kf12)-instr%201.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Enerjet Aero-Dart (KE-12 or #5182) Basic Information.

enerjet.gif
Enerjet

Aero-Dart

KE-12 or #5182

Introduced: 1972
Final Year: 1976
Designer:

Motor Mount:
Length: 33"
Diameter: 2"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: The sight of a big model rocket like the Aero-Dart flying over half a mile is an experience you won't want to miss. The big rocket sits on the pad for several seconds as the motor builds up thrust, then leaps into the air and accelerates away at terrific speed. At apogee, the Aero-Dart almost disappears.
The Aero-Dart features a payload capsule with tremendous volume. For heavily instrumented flights or just spectacular flying, the Aero-Dart is your bird. (Enerjet 1972 Catalog)

enerjet-aero%20dart-1972%20cat%20livery.jpg
Enerjet 1972 Catalog

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Semroc SLS Aero-Dart (KV-6) Basic Information.

semroc.gif
Semroc Astronautics

SLS Aero-Dart

KV-6

Introduced:
Final Year:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x24mm or 1x29mm
Length: 36.8" (93.5 cm)
Diameter: 1.84" (4.7 cm)
Span: 9.2" (23.4 cm)
Weight: 7.6 oz (215.7 g)

Mfg. Description:

semroc-SLS%20Aero-Dart-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
Centuri 2011 Web Ad

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
JohnNGA asked me about a project I mentioned a while ago, my clones of the first two versions of the Aero-Dart, as they appeared in the 1962 and 1964 Centuri catalogs:

https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/centuri62/62cen18.html

https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/centuri64/64cen44.html

The measurements and photos above are ALL I had to go on. Measuring fins in a photograph with calipers and then multiplying them by a scaling factor determined by the known length of the body tubes was NOT a reliable way of getting the dimensions, but I think I got in the ballpark.

I've attached the photos of the completed models, and scans of the fin templates.

The tubes are 1.5 ID tubes, available from Semroc (Series 150). They also have the required 8" balsa nose cone.

The main tube is 22" in both cases. The Mark II (1964) version also has a 6" payload tube.

I would recommend using 1/8" basswood fins, mounted through the wall.

I used available Trim Monokote checkerboards for the Mark II. The payload is wrapped in silver Contact paper, and overlaid with clear label stock printed with 1/4" checkerboards.

If you build lightly, a 24mm mount is probably all you'll need. You can use D12, E12, and a wide variety of Aerotech RMS 24mm reloads in the models.

Here are two higher-res photos:
aero-dart_ii_backdrop_lo.jpgaero-dart_i_backdrop_lo.jpg

Post Copied to Gallery with Permission

Attachments

• aero-dart.pdf
    306.1 KB · Views: 82
  • aerodart_i_lo.jpg
    aerodart_i_lo.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 87
  • aerodart_ii_lo.jpg
    aerodart_ii_lo.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Here is my finished AeroDart, flew recently on a D12-3, perfect flight. Thanks again to StefanJ.

011.jpg

Mine from the Semroc SLS kit. This before its first flight on a D12. It has since been flown on an E12 a couple of times, a CTI F36 Blue Streak and an Estes F15 29mm BP motor (at NSL 2013).

AeroDartCrop.jpg

Last edited:
Bob,

The link in your posting is dead. Do you have a copy of the article ?

Flew my AeroDart today on an F20...turned in a nice flight except the nose popped off at ejection so I lost it :( that was the original cone from the 70s...

DSC_6464.jpg

DSC_6465.jpg

Flew my AeroDart today on an F20...turned in a nice flight except the nose popped off at ejection so I lost it :( that was the original cone from the 70s...

That's too bad about the loss of the original nose cone. :(

Contact Sirius Rocketry and get one of their Moldin' Oldies Orion nose cones. Same one as used on the Enerjet Aero-Dart, even has the hatch covers on it. :wink:

That's too bad about the loss of the original nose cone. :(

Contact Sirius Rocketry and get one of their Moldin' Oldies Orion nose cones. Same one as used on the Enerjet Aero-Dart, even has the hatch covers on it. :wink:

Thanks for the "tip" Bob! I was going to try to find a balsa replacement (I hear rumors Semoc's stock is depleted :( ) I have some Moldin' Oldies Apollo capsules.

So that's what he looks like!

I love these nostalgic rockets.

I took this photo of Carl McLawhorn on August 4, 2011, in Raleigh, NC. He & I were working together to help get a local rocket club started, called the Tarheel Association of Rocketry ( "TAR" ).

On August 11, 2013, Carl passed away during emergency surgery on an aortic aneurysm . . .

There is a memorial thread on YORF https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=12829

Dave F.

TAR - INITIAL MEETING - 8-4-2011.jpgF.

I have a slight upscale (BT70) of the Aero-Dart I like to use as a test mule and egglofter. Its a great flier.

Still flying mine (see post 18 above) occasionally. The interchangeable motor mount won't come out any more, so it's stuck in Estes 29mm BP motor mode, but E16s and F15s make nice flights in this model.

Great picture of Carl there in post 26.

I was very honored to have had the chance to meet him and chat with him a couple of times at NSL in 2012. *sigh*

Here is my recent clone of an AeroDart. This one is based on the photo in the 1969 Centuri catalog. I scaled this one to use BT60 size components, and actually kit bashed an Estes Mean Machine into this in order to get about the right nose cone aspect ratio. I cut new fins from spare balsa that I had. It has the 24mm mount from the Mean Machine, and barely flies acceptably with an adapter and a C6-3, but flies well with a D12-5.
IMG_4808c.jpgaerodart 69cenp79.jpg

Back