my first build thread :D

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwinshap1

Reaction score
When i was around 11-12 i built low power rockets with BP fuel, but now that i'm old enough to mail order my own composite, i've begun to think about mid power and high power rockets. I bought an estes monarch and modified it to hold E composite motors, but now i'm creating a semi scratch built minimum diameter rocket.

18" 24mm tube

24mm ogive 3" nosecone

10'' plastic parachute

Avion Balsa Fin set from apogee rockets

3/16" LL @2.5" long

standard size A-D BP motor hook (to be attached to outside...any tips?)

18mm-24mm adapter ring from monarch rocket for forward engine block (works great since it allows room for the forward closure on an E composite motor)

5' kevlar shock cord (length for looks only, should be moving near 0 f/s at parachute deployment :D)

Before i begin, i have two questions...
1) what's the best way to mount an engine hook on the outside of a rocket without using one of those thing clear plastic rings?

2) On a 3 fin layout, how do you guys get the places right for gluing on a scratch built rocket if you don't have the little cut out thing?

DSC_0080.JPG

If you are planning to use an "E" composite motor such as an Areotech E15 for example... You can do so without using a thrust ring or any motor hook at all. The thrust ring is built-in to the motor, and a little masking tape will keep the motor from ejecting. Lot's of great tips to check out at the Apogee website - like this one. https://www.apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/newsletter95.pdf

For the fin guide - I use the tool at payload bay https://www.payloadbay.com/index.php?page=Tools&action=FINWRAPS

yeah, i intend to glue the fins far enough up that i can masking tape the engine, but the club i intend to fly at is very worried about fire dangers since we launch into brush areas, so i think they'd want something more :(

Yeah, since it's a minimum diameter rocket i've just been playing with it while talking to some friends tonight.

Pic 82: I had just tacked on two fins and added more glue, and just tacked on the launch lug.

Pic 83: I just finished putting on all the fins, only took a few minutes since the fins are fairly small

Pic 84: completed the parachute and attached it to the nose cone.

Pic 85: Rocket so far, shock cord installed

Pic 86: aft shot showing engine block and engine hook.

What's left:
Checking stability before i seal the nose cone, painting, and finishing touches.

If anyone sees anything wrong that's important, please rail me on it so I can remember it for the future :)

DSC_0082.JPG

DSC_0083.JPG

DSC_0084.JPG

DSC_0085.JPG

DSC_0086.JPG

Yeah, since it's a minimum diameter rocket i've just been playing with it while talking to some friends tonight.

Pic 82: I had just tacked on two fins and added more glue, and just tacked on the launch lug.

Pic 83: I just finished putting on all the fins, only took a few minutes since the fins are fairly small

Pic 84: completed the parachute and attached it to the nose cone.

Pic 85: Rocket so far, shock cord installed

Pic 86: aft shot showing engine block and engine hook.

What's left:
Checking stability before i seal the nose cone, painting, and finishing touches.

If anyone sees anything wrong that's important, please rail me on it so I can remember it for the future :)

Nice build,but if this was my rocket and I have two that can do what your trying to do is,1.put air foils on your fins,2.paper skin your fins and 3.go with a streamer and not the chute.My Starlight Flash-24 went up over 3000' a few weeks ago and caught a thermo on a streamer and it was a 1/4 mile walk.These changes are what I did to mine,please don't think I'm criticizing your build.You did a great job,don't want you to fail getting to speed and losing your rocket due to a thermo floating away from your launch site.

Nice build,but if this was my rocket and I have two that can do what your trying to do is,1.put air foils on your fins,2.paper skin your fins and 3.go with a streamer and not the chute.My Starlight Flash-24 went up over 3000' a few weeks ago and caught a thermo on a streamer and it was a 1/4 mile walk.These changes are what I did to mine,please don't think I'm criticizing your build.You did a great job,don't want you to fail getting to speed and losing your rocket due to a thermo floating away from your launch site.

I'm sorry I was reading other posts first before I posted this,your not trying to go supersonic as was in another post I just read before posting.One thing I would like to mention was when I put my Flash-24 up over 3000' it was on a BP Estes E9-6 engine.So you might want to put a swevel on your shockcord and use a streamer on high flights.Sorry again.cjp.:confused2:

haha yeah, this one's not going supersonic :)

If it was i wouldn't be using the apogee premade fins, the balsa on them is very light, so i'd definitely use ply or something stronger. +i don't think i'd be launching a supersonic in the field we use normally. There's a secondary launch location used once in a while and i'd probably do it there.

haha yeah, this one's not going supersonic :)

If it was i wouldn't be using the apogee premade fins, the balsa on them is very light, so i'd definitely use ply or something stronger. +i don't think i'd be launching a supersonic in the field we use normally. There's a secondary launch location used once in a while and i'd probably do it there.

I put my Starlight Flash-24 up on a Estes E9-6 today again and man did that thing go out of site.The sky was blue with no clouds.I loaded talcom powder in the nose of the rocket so I could see it when the ejection charge went off.All you seen was a tiny speck.Once again I had a streamer and it took awhile for it to get back.We had very little wind,so it came down less then 100 yards from where it was launched.Looking at the fins,it has plywood fins that are rather small.It supposed to go supersonic,but I won't try it as you really need a very large field and alot of luck getting it back.Hope you have good luck with yours,post pictures if you can when you launch it.Fly her high.cjp.:cheers:

I put my Starlight Flash-24 up on a Estes E9-6 today again and man did that thing go out of site.The sky was blue with no clouds.I loaded talcom powder in the nose of the rocket so I could see it when the ejection charge went off.All you seen was a tiny speck.Once again I had a streamer and it took awhile for it to get back.We had very little wind,so it came down less then 100 yards from where it was launched.Looking at the fins,it has plywood fins that are rather small.It supposed to go supersonic,but I won't try it as you really need a very large field and alot of luck getting it back.Hope you have good luck with yours,post pictures if you can when you launch it.Fly her high.cjp.:cheers:
I had 2 AT G125's that begged to be used (24mm) The first flight was out of a tower never to be seen again. I was too close to the pad to hear the sonic boom. the 2nd was at NSL in Muncie a few years ago off a 3/16" rod and a G125. another noseeum flight. I enclose a 18mm motor mount in case folks want to get it back:D I gotta try one of the new AT24mm "F"'s and see what it will do.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Model Rockets LLC
www.starlightrocketry.com
Sponser of ihobby make and take 2010

I had 2 AT G125's that begged to be used (24mm) The first flight was out of a tower never to be seen again. I was too close to the pad to hear the sonic boom. the 2nd was at NSL in Muncie a few years ago off a 3/16" rod and a G125. another noseeum flight. I enclose a 18mm motor mount in case folks want to get it back:D I gotta try one of the new AT24mm "F"'s and see what it will do.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Model Rockets LLC
Sponser of ihobby make and take 2010

Bob,I won this Flash24 in a contest you had last fall.I think the rocket is at it's end,there's a crease in the tube,might be from forcing the engine into the tube with masking tape for a friction fit,or might be from the thrust of the engines.Have 5 or 6 flights on it.If you want you can send me another kit and I'll try one of those AT24's.Hint,Hint.Might get some pictures of it also.cjp.:D

Bob,I won this Flash24 in a contest you had last fall.I think the rocket is at it's end,there's a crease in the tube,might be from forcing the engine into the tube with masking tape for a friction fit,or might be from the thrust of the engines.Have 5 or 6 flights on it.If you want you can send me another kit and I'll try one of those AT24's.Hint,Hint.Might get some pictures of it also.cjp.:D
If you want PM me and we can work something out. I just picked up a new distributor along with over a dozen new dealers this past month so we are a bit low on inventory but cheap publicity is good publicity;)
Mr. Bob
Starlight Model rockets LLC

wow, these posts have so much to do with my rocket :D

anything i should do for painting also? like any specific types/brands of paint that works best/are lightest?

I like the Rustoleum rattle cans that are found at most "Big Box" stores, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Rustoleum is a pretty good brand at a good price.

Surface prep is at least as important as the type/brand of paint - and painting technique is important too. Thin coats and following the directions on the can regarding re-coat/drying time.

I usually put down a couple coats of white primer, followed by some sanding, then color coats, decals - and then clear coat.

You'll get lots of of different ideas/opinions on finishing techniques from folks on TRF :D

wow, these posts have so much to do with my rocket :D

anything i should do for painting also? like any specific types/brands of paint that works best/are lightest?

I'm so sorry,didn't mean to steal your post:blush::bangpan:.Back to your rocket,I have used Rustoleum gloss Black on a few rockets.Really came out great on my nosecones.Lowes Valspar paints are also good.They have a bright Red that works great.Primers,I have used both brands in white and grey.Sorry again about getting off the subject.cjp

I'm so sorry,didn't mean to steal your post:blush::bangpan:.Back to your rocket,I have used Rustoleum gloss Black on a few rockets.Really came out great on my nosecones.Lowes Valspar paints are also good.They have a bright Red that works great.Primers,I have used both brands in white and grey.Sorry again about getting off the subject.cjp

haha i was just joking around about the post thing :p. Are there different types of rustoleum? Because I used a black spray bottle that my dad had bought, and it made the other paints run...Should i only use rustoleum?

haha i was just joking around about the post thing :p. Are there different types of rustoleum? Because I used a black spray bottle that my dad had bought, and it made the other paints run...Should i only use rustoleum?

I found that you have to be very careful when you use two different kinds of paint on the same rocket.It's best to use only one brand of paint from primer to top coat.If you use different brands together,test them on a scrap tube or other object before you paint your rocket or you might have paint that cracks.There are a couple types of paint Rustoleum makes,I use the regular Rustoleum,but some others use the thicker type.It's best if you go to their website and learn about their other products.cjp.

Back