SCALE - Saturn 1 Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatBoy

Random Part-time Hobbyist
Reaction score
Semroc Saturn 1B built for the Apollo 7 40th Anniversary celebration....

Copy of IMG_1422.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
this is my clone of the 1/100th scale Saturn 1B that was available from Centuri, then later Estes.

the build thread is on YORF

thanks to all the folks that helped me source the tubes and wraps...the tubes, nose cone, and LES balsa parts are available from SEMROC now:D

DSC_2515MR.jpg

DSC_2504MR.jpg

DSC_2503MR.jpg

DSC_2502MR.jpg

DSC_2501MR.jpg

Though not nearly as detailed as the ones previously displayed, this Saturn 1b from Sandman was an easy build that flies great!

The Big Bertha is just for a size reference.

sat_cropped.jpg

sat_and_bertha.jpg

RocketLaunch_Home_5_28_05 031 cropped.jpg

Yeah, this isn't mine but it is worth a gander. Here is Steve Eves' Saturn 1B on display at Red Glare VIII. 24' tall and in the neighborhood of 600lb. Staged, with deployable fins on the sustainer. One 6" mount and four 4" in the booster and a single 6" in the sustainer. Here's the official page (yes, there are two of them). https://www.rocketsmagazine.com/saturn-1b-projects/

red glare 8 006 (Large).jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the SCALE - Saturn 1 Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Saturn I and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Centuri: Saturn 1B: KS-10 or #5140
Cox: Uprated Saturn 1B: #5025
Dr Zooch: Saturn SA5:
Dr. Zooch: Saturn Ib:
Estes: Saturn 1B: K-29 or #1229
Estes: Saturn 1B: #2048
Neubauer: Micro Saturn 1B:
Roachwerks: Saturn 1B:
Semroc: Saturn 1B: KS-1

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

The Saturn IB (pronounced "one B", alternatively known as the Uprated Saturn I) was an American launch vehicle commissioned by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) for use in the Apollo program. It was an uprated version of the Saturn I rocket, which replaced its S-IV second stage with the much more powerful S-IVB, which gave it enough payload capability to allow it be used for early testing of the Apollo spacecraft while the larger Saturn V needed to send Apollo to the Moon was still being developed. Unlike the earlier Saturn I, it could launch either the partially fueled Apollo Command/Service Module (CSM), or the fully fueled Lunar Module (LM) into low Earth orbit.

The Saturn IB was used for two unmanned CSM suborbital flights, one unmanned LM orbital flight, and for the first manned CSM orbital mission (first planned for Apollo 1, later Apollo 7). It was also used for one orbital mission, AS-203, in which it carried neither a CSM nor a LM, so that the S-IVB would have unburned liquid hydrogen fuel remaining in its tank in orbit. The purpose of this mission was to support design of the restartable version of the S-IVB used in the Saturn V, by observing the behavior of the liquid hydrogen in weightlessness.

After completion of the Apollo Moon landing program, the Saturn IB was used to launch the Apollo CSM on three crew missions to the Skylab space station, and a joint US-USSR space mission, the Apollo Soyuz Test Project.

Last edited:
Semroc Saturn 1B (KS-1) Basic Information.

semroc.gif
Semroc Astronautics

Saturn 1B

KS-1

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Scale
Motor Mount:
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 37.0" (94.0 cm)
Diameter: 3.938" (10.0 cm)
Span: 8.2" (20.8 cm)
Weight: 9.9 oz (280.9 g)

Mfg. Description: 1967 Retro Repro (Semroc 2011 Web Ad)

semroc-saturn%201b-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
Semroc 2011 Web Ad

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads
Semroc Saturn 1b Fuel Tube Fairing Shroud

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Centuri Saturn 1B (KS-10 or #5140) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

Saturn 1B

KS-10 or #5140

Introduced: 1969
Final Year: 1982
Designer:

Type: Scale, Cluster
Motor Mount: 2x18mm
Length: 26.8"
Diameter: 2.02"
Span:
Weight: 4.7 oz

Mfg. Description: This sharp looking model of the first manned APOLLO flight vehicle stands over 2 feet tall, yet weighs less than 5 ounces. Perfect for all modelers to build, Saturn 1-B promises you an eye catching display plus thrill high altitude flights. Powered by two engines, the 1-B lifts off, climbs hundreds of feet to peak altitude and then separates into two parts. The APOLLO spacecraft descends on a colorful 16" parachute while the launch vehicle returns safely on a big red and white 24" chute. Kit includes illustrated assembly and launching instructions plus directions for reliable clustering. (Centuri 1969 Catalog)

=====

A detailed replica of the pioneer Apollo booster, the Saturn 1B is a top flight performer which tips the scales at less than 5 ounces. It uses technological advances in molded plastic parts, corrugated plastic body skin, and pre-formed detail parts. The precise detail and contrasting marking will draw praise and sighs of envy from all viewers be they friends, teachers, or schoolmates. (Centuri 1970 Christmas Catalog)

=====

SATURN 1-B is an exact 1/100th scale model of #SA-205, the first rocket to launch a manned APOLLO mission. Every detail on the model is correct - down to the exact markings that appeared on the real ship. Like its SATURN V sister, the Centuri SATURN 1-B is not a beginner's kit. Extreme care, however, was taken in designing this model so the average builder could turn out a museum quality model. Construction materials are similar to those used in the SATURN V (previous page). Very complete step-by-step construction and painting instructions, Cluster Techniques Report and Historical Brochure complete the kit. (Centuri 1971 Catalog)

centuri-saturn%201b-1969%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1969 Catalog
centuri-saturn%201b-1970%20xmas%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1970 Christmas Catalog
centuri-saturn%201b-1971%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1971 Catalog

centuri-saturn%201b-1972%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1972 Catalog
centuri-saturn%201b-1979%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1979 Catalog

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Estes Saturn 1B (K-29 or #1229) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

Saturn 1-B, Uprated Saturn-1, Saturn 1B

K-29 or #1229

Introduced: 1967
Final Year: 1977
Designer: Gene Street

Type: Scale. Cluster
Motor Mount: 4x18mm
Length: 37"
Diameter: 3.53"
Span:
Weight: 9.86 oz

Mfg. Description: A thrilling scale model for even the most advanced rocketeer, this bird will be a real challenge to your building and flying skill. A four engine cluster lifts the Saturn 1-B model into the air. Two 24" parachutes on the main body and 12" parachute on the command-escape structure return it gently. A real beauty, both in the air and on display. A 12 volt car battery and launch control system (such as the Estes 12 Volt Launch Control System) is required for ignition. Kit comes complete with all parts, decals, detailed instructions and a copy of technical report TR-6 (but no engines). (Estes 1967 Catalog)

=====

1968 Catalog text identical to 1967 Catalog

=====

A thrilling scale model for even the most advanced rocketeer, this bird will be a real challenge to your building and flying skill. A four engine cluster lifts the uprated Saturn model into the air. Two 24" parachutes on the main body and 12" parachute on the command-escape structure return it gently. A real beauty, both in the air and on display. Kit comes complete with all parts, decals, detailed instructions and a copy of technical report No. TR-6. Engines not included. (Estes 1969 Catalog)

=====

1970 Catalog text identical to 1969 Catalog

estes-saturn%201b%20k29-1967%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1967 Catalog
estes-saturn%201b%20k29-1968%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1968 Catalog
estes-saturn%201b%20k29-1969%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1969 Catalog
estes-saturn%201b%20k29-1970%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1970 Catalog

estes-saturn%201b%20k29-1971%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1971 Catalog
estes-saturn%201b%20k29-1972%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1972 Catalog
estes-saturn%201b%20k29-1973%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1973 Catalog
estes-saturn%201b%20k29-1975%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1975 Catalog

estes-saturn%201b%20k29-facecard%2000.jpg
estes-saturn%201b%20k29-facecard%2001.jpg
estes-saturn%201b%20k29-facecard%201.jpg
estes-saturn%201b%20k29-facecard%202.jpg

estes-saturn%201b%20k29-instr%201.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Estes Saturn 1B (#2048) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

Saturn 1B

Introduced: 1991
Final Year: 1993
Designer:

Motor Mount:
Length: 26.5"
Diameter: 2.618"
Span:
Weight: 5/33 oz

Mfg. Description: An integral part of the Saturn Space Program, the Saturn 1B's first stage was composed of 8 H-1engines creating thrust of over 1.5 million pounds. The second stage power was supplied by one J-2 engine with 200,000 pounds of thrust. The Saturn 1B could place 40,000 pounds in low earth orbit. Saturn 1B flights were used to test the launch vehicle, Apollo spacecraft systems and the Apollo spacecraft's heat shields for re-entry capability.
1/100th scale model of the predecessor of the mighty Saturn V. Our model includes high relief plastic body wraps, plastic tank shroud, Apollo capsule and engine display nozzles. It also features special sub-assembly painting procedures. Recovery from launches to 425 ft. are accomplished when the main stages are lowered under an 18" parachute and the upper stage and Apollo capsule are lowered via a 12" parachute attached to a special recovery harness. A 3/16 inch Maxi-Rod is required for launch. (Estes 1991 Catalog)

estes-saturn%201b%202048-1991%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1991 Catalog
estes-saturn%201b%202048-1993%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1993 Catalog

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Roachwerks Saturn 1B Basic Information.

roachwerks.gif
Roachwerks Custom Turnings

Saturn 1B

NUMBER

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer: Gordon Agnello

Motor Mount:
Stages:
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: DESC

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Dr Zooch Saturn SA5 Basic Information.

dr_zooch.gif
Dr Zooch Rockets

MODEL NAME: Saturn SA5, Saturn I SA5, Saturn I Block II SA5

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer: Wes Oleszewski

Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Length: 12.5"
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: If anyone tells you that SA-5 was not the coolest rocket ever flown they are only demonstrating their lack of taste in rocket coolness. Such people are likely to be found at the local Whatever Mart buying one of those buy-n-fly kits with plastic fins. We urge you not to talk further to them as you can lose I.Q. points just standing too close to such people. Instead, you should buy this kit right now and regain those points that you may have already lost. SA-5 was the first of the Saturn I Block II vehicles.
Launched on January 29, 1964 it was one of a kind. Rather than an Apollo spacecraft, SA-5 carried a really pointy Jupiter nose cone. This kit, although being ant-scale, is very close to actual scale -- in fact it’s as close as we could get it without having to get any smarter ourselves. The kit is in scale with our other Saturn I Block II and our Saturn IB. It stands just under 13 inches tall (just for luck) and comes with a nosecone that is so pointy, when you hold it in your hand you’ll hear your father’s voice saying “Be careful you don’t put someone’s eye out with that.” Rumor has it that when JFK visited Cape Canaveral and saw the real SA-5 on the pad he pointed toward the nose cone and told von Braun, “Be careful you don’t put someone’s eye out with that."

You’ll also get the Dr. Zooch instruction booklet, where Dr. Zooch himself, from the crazy spaceflight cartoon strip “The Program,” guides you through some madcap instructions that are almost more fun than the rocket itself. This kit is part of the line of Dr. Zooch rockets and there are plenty more where this came from. So you can buy it, build it, crash it and WHO CARES!, we’ll sell you another one! Just be careful you don’t put someone’s eye out with it. (Dr Zooch 2011 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

dr%20zooch-saturn%20sa5-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
Dr Zooch 2011 Web Ad

Face Card

dr%20zooch-saturn%20sa5-facecard.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Cox Uprated Saturn 1B (#5025) Basic Information.

cox%20trf.gif
Cox

MODEL NAME: Uprated Saturn 1B Also known as: Saturn 1B

NUMBER: #5025

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 2x18mm
Length: 21"
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: A 1/125 scale model of the launch vehicle used to orbit the first manned Apollo space mission. (Cox 1970 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

cox-uprated%20saturn%201b%205025-1970%20cat%20livery.jpg
Cox 1970 Catalog
cox-uprated%20saturn%201b%205025-1972%20cat%20livery.jpg
Cox 1972 Catalog
cox-uprated%20saturn%201b%205025-1990%20cat%20livery.jpg
Cox 1990 Catalog

Face Card(s)

cox-uprated%20saturn%201b%205025-facecard.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Neubauer Micro Saturn 1B Basic Information.

neubauer.gif
Neubauer Rockets

MODEL NAME: Micro Saturn 1B Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x13mm
Recovery: Streamer
Length: 6.8"
Diameter: 0.76"
Span:
Weight: 3.0 oz

Mfg. Description: This kit features resin cast plastic capsule/nose cone.

Laser cut plastic fins / Streamer recovery.

Each kit comes with a complete set of color adhesive decals and can be built in only 1 to 2 hours (except paint and decals). (Discount Rocketry 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

neubauer-micro%20saturn%201b-2012%20web%20discount.jpg
Discount Rocketry 2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
hope its ok to put some pictures of my Dr. Zooch Saturn 1b ASTP here? Mine are not anywhere near the quality of some already displayed, but its still a neat looking rocket!

100_2178a.jpg

100_2158a.jpg

100_2173a.jpg

100_2182a.jpg

this is my clone of the 1/100th scale Saturn 1B that was available from Centuri, then later Estes.

the build thread is on YORF

thanks to all the folks that helped me source the tubes and wraps...the tubes, nose cone, and LES balsa parts are available from SEMROC now:D

I finally got to launch my 1/100th clone...here is the money shot

DSC_4164MR.jpg

Pretty much finished her up last night. I chose the 4 C6-3 motor assembly. Can't wait to launch it and see her go! Just wanted to share. Great kit btw!
Saturn 1B.jpg

Very nice! One of the few manned space program rockets that I'm interested in building. You did a great job.

How about some flight photos when you get around to firing it up?

Here's mine. :)
SA-5 1.jpeg
SA-5 2B.jpg
Sorry I don't have more detailed closeups.
It's a conversion of the card stock model here: https://jleslie48.com/gallery_models_apollo.html a little more than halfway down the page.
The first photo was taken a couple months ago by my Dad, and the second one was taken at the October Tripoli Tampa launch by Anthony King.
It's built for D engines, but I'm itching to fly it on an E18! :D

Thanks everyone. Once launched, I will share some pics. Hopefully sometime this weekend.

Rock-et on!

Dr. Zooch Saturn 1B I bought at NARAM-46. This one has some upgrades that were done by "Rosko-Racer" here on the forum. Raul took all of the wraps redrew the lines and the details. He also added a capsule wrap and redid the tanks adding detail.

Jim

Christmas 2012 055.jpg

Christmas 2012 056.jpg

Christmas 2012 057.jpg

Christmas 2012 058.jpg

Now that I look at your 1B, I may have to do a wrap for the transition... What a well "dressed" 1B that is! :wink:

that is beautiful!!! The 1b is one sweet looking rocket. Awesome job!

Dr. Zooch Saturn 1B I bought at NARAM-46. This one has some upgrades that were done by "Rosko-Racer" here on the forum. Raul took all of the wraps redrew the lines and the details. He also added a capsule wrap and redid the tanks adding detail.

Jim

Back