SCALE - Nike Apache Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
My Nike Apache from Cosmodrome is one of my prouder accomplishments. The build thread can be found here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=4605

Its photo albums are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/collections/72157621466884924/

Throughout the build process, Cosmodrome helped out, gave advice and generally "held my hand". When asking about paint jobs, he sent me to a link that was different than all the others I had ever seen since the booster was red. I decided to follow that scheme and call my beast the Red Apache, even though the Apache part is white.

Red-Apache-f1d.jpg

NA-F1b.jpg

NA-F1d.jpg

Red-Apache-f1a.jpg

Last edited:
A couple Scale Nike-Apache's. Actually Nike boosted Sounding rockets are one of my most modeled prototypes.

2 different Micro Maxx's are 1:36 scale
Bt-55 Standard Estes Nike Apache (Semi-Scale)

052a-sm_Nike-Apache 12.73 scale_02-19-90.jpg

052Lp09-sm_Nike-Apache ECRM34 CSAlt (last Flt)_04-22-07.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the SCALE - Nike Apache Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Nike Apache and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Cosmodrome: Nike Apache:
Estes: Nike Apache: #1957

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

The Nike Apache was a two-stage sounding rocket used by NASA to loft instruments into the upper atmosphere. The Nike Apache was launched 636 times between 1961 and 1978. It was a popular rocket due to its low cost (6000 USD) and ability to be fired from many locales.

The Nike Apache was used to carry a variety of payloads to study a wide range of topics including radio astronomy, meteorology, aeronomy, atmospheric conditions, plasma physics, and solar physics. NASA flew them from Brazil, Canada, India, Norway, Pakistan, Spain, Suriname, Sweden, all across the US, and off the USS Croatan (CVE-25). The maximum payload weight was 80 lbs (36 kg) and the maximum altitude about 125 miles (200 km).

The Nike-Apache configuration was also used by one variation of the MQR-13 BMTS target rocket

Last edited:
Cosmodrome Nike Apache Basic Information.

cosmodrome.gif
Cosmodrome Rocketry

Nike Apache

NUMBER

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer: Mike Kruger

Type: Scale
Motor Mount: 1x29mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 52.5"
Diameter: 2.63",1.06"
Span:
Weight: 18 oz

Mfg. Description: Balsa nose cone and transition
Two color self-adhesive decals
28" rip-stop nylon parachutte
F and G power
Through-the-wall fins
Positive motor retension (Cosmodrome 2011 Web Ad)

cosmodrome-nike%20apache-2009%20web%20livery.jpg
Cosmodrome 2009 Web Ad
cosmodrome-nike%20apache-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
Cosmodrome 2011 Web Ad

cosmodrome-nike%20apache-facecard.jpg

cosmodrome-nike%20apache-instr.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Estes Nike Apache (#1957) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

Nike Apache

Introduced: 1986
Final Year: 1989
Designer:

Type: Scale
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 22.875"
Diameter: 1.325"
Span:
Weight: 1.55 oz

Mfg. Description: Scale (1 to 12.25) model of U.S. sounding rocket includes two stage appearance, three-color decal, and 12" parachute recovery. Reaches altitudes over 900 feet. (Estes 1986 Catalog)

estes-nike%20apache-1986%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1986 Catalog

estes-nike%20apache-facecard%201.jpg
Face Card

estes-nike%20apache-instr.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Back