Centuri - Vulcan (KA-10 or #5010) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It did not survive my stepson stepping on it.:dark:

They usually don't! ;)

Nice set of builds, BTW - I really like the alternate color scheme! I've never built one of these (built an X-24 Bug but not the Vulcan) but I might just have to give it a try.

They usually don't! ;)

Nice set of builds, BTW - I really like the alternate color scheme! I've never built one of these (built an X-24 Bug but not the Vulcan) but I might just have to give it a try.

Thanks.

Somewhere in the back of my mind is a vague scheme to build one based on each major body tube size.

Yes I always liked the Vulcan. Had a Centuri model back in the day (1st pic below).
When I decided to down scale it for micro maxx I also Cloned a standard 18mm model which ended it's maiden flight in the very top of a 45ft tree:(
The micro is still flying to this day LOL!

Vulcan-1-sm_1st Fleet Centuri b&w_07-25-72.jpg

You know how it is. You've got a favorite rocket design and you can't build just one. But why build exactly the same? There's other possibilities, upscales, downscales, or goonies, to name a few. Here's some of my variations on a theme.

View attachment 35254

The Centuri Vulcan is one of my alltime favorites. At present I have versions from 13mm to 29mm engines represented. A Micromax version needs to made yet, as well as a BT50 upscale of the Black Vulcan. I also have the prints to construct a BT70 scaled monster. Not sure what size motor mount it will be getting yet.

What families have you built?
Share.......

------------
With Blade's permission, I have copied this post over and edited it for this thread.

Thanks, Blades!

JAL

Attachments

• Vulcans.JPG
    Vulcans.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited by a moderator:
Never could get mine to fly without wiggling it's butt like I was supposed to stick a dollar in it's waistband,:rolleyes: but it looked okay. I need to build one with an internal launch lug and heavier cardstock.

Vulcan clone on pad at B6-4 Field.jpg

Never could get mine to fly without wiggling it's butt like I was supposed to stick a dollar in it's waistband,:rolleyes: but it looked okay. I need to build one with an internal launch lug and heavier cardstock.

Each of my various sizes did the wiggle thing. I used an internal lug on all but the MMX.

Welcome to the Centuri - Vulcan (KA-10 or #5010) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Centuri - Vulcan (KA-10 or #5010) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Centuri: Vulcan: KA-10 or #5010
McCoy's Micro Wonder Works: (Centuri) Vulcan: #296
New Century: Black Vulcan:

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Centuri Vulcan (KA-10 or #5010) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

Vulcan

KA-10 or #5010

Introduced: 1972
Final Year:1981
Designer: Larry Brown

Type: Exotic
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 10.5"
Diameter:
Span: 5.5"
Weight: 1.2 oz

Mfg. Description: Their ears are long...pointed...and between those strange ears ticks the incredible Vulcan mind that designs spaceships like this. The hull is an exotic cone shape. Ingenious! The body is flanked by airscoops; the rocket flies without fins. Incredible! At the peak of flight a parachute ejects to recover the ship for re-use. OUTSTANDING! And characteristically, very, very logical. The entire VULCAN lifestyle centers around the use of intense heat and flame as hot as the pre-painted colors in the VULCAN kit...read about them in the kit's illustrated Science Fiction Storysheet. (Centuri 1971 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

centuri-vulcan-1972%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1972 Catalog
centuri-vulcan-1975%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1975 Catalog
centuri-vulcan-1979%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1979 Catalog

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

centuri-vulcan-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
MMWW - (Centuri) Vulcan (#296) Basic Information.

MMWW.gif
McCoy's Micro Wonder Works (MMWW)

Centuri Vulcan

Introduced: 2004
Final Year:
Designer: Larry Brown, John McCoy

Type: Exotic, Downscale
Recovery: Streamer
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight: 4.8 g

Mfg. Description: Centuri Vulcan 2.6 Downscale (Plan)

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

mmww-centuri%20vulcan%20296-instr%201.jpg

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Hah. Thanks!

I've developed a suspicion that the tail-wagging I've noted with this rocket is related to too much nose weight, as well as to the offset and angled launch lug. Something I intend to investigate when I get time.

New Century Black Vulcan Basic Information.

new%20century%20logo.gif
New Century Rocketry

MODEL NAME: Black Vulcan Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced: 2007
Final Year:
Designer: Larry Brown, Chris Gonnerman

Type: Clone, Exotic
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: I'm creating a "clone" of the old Centuri Vulcan rocket. I call my version the "Black Vulcan." At present, I'm still working out some of the details... in particular, with Moldin' Oldies currently unavailable, I'm not sure what I'm going to do for a nosecone. The best "fit" I've found so far is the plastic cone that comes with the Estes Yankee; it's not a match, but it's about the right size and shouldn't look stupid attached to that rocket. (New Century 2007 Blog Post)

Advertising Liveries

new%20century-black%20vulcan-2007%20web.jpg
2007 Blog Post

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
image-centuri-vulcan-clears-the-rodjpg-900-600-042020233522140.jpg
Guess I get to start over. Apparently the almost 20 year old glue joint holding the shroud to the motor tube failed. On a rather epic scale, I might add. This pic clearly shows the shroud slipping down the body tube, not yet aflame. A few seconds later the two pieces landed a few feet apart. On fire. Fun way to spend a Saturday.

Ah, MoreRockets. The vendor who blocked me from their website... wonder if that block is still in place?

Back