Estes - Fat Boy (#2139) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff GREAT ROCKETS. I love the flame job!! If you need masks I can hook you up!!

while we are doing fat boys heres my 10" on a lL959 Imax..

DSC_8357.jpg

DSC_8358.jpg

DSC_8360.jpg

Is that the Polecat 10" or a scratch build?

Welcome to the Estes Fat Boy (#2139) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes Fat Boy (#2139) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Fat Boy: #1273 Launchables Version
Estes: Fat Boy: #2139
Estes: Mini Fat Boy: #2442
Polecat Aerospace: Fat Man (5.5"): #13
Polecat Aerospace: Fat Man (10"): #10

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes Fat Boy (#2139) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Fat Boy Also known as:

NUMBER: #2139

Introduced: 1997
Final Year: 2005
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 12.9"
Diameter: 2.6"
Span:
Weight: 3.0 oz

Mfg. Description: Fat Boy...and proud of it! Over two and half inches in diameter and only twelve inches high! Bullies its way to over 300 feet altitude and is recovered with a big fat chute! (Estes 1997 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-fat%20boy%202139-1997%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1997 Catalog
estes-fat%20boy%202139-2000%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2000 Catalog

estes-fat%20boy%202139-2001%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2001 Catalog
estes-fat%20boy%202139-2002%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2002 Catalog

estes-fat%20boy%202139-2003%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2003 Catalog
estes-fat%20boy%202139-2004%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2004 Catalog

estes-fat%20boy%202139-2005%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2005 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-fat%20boy%202139-facecard.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads
Fat Boy Cluster

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Estes Fat Boy (#1273) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Fat Boy Also known as: Launchables Fat Boy

NUMBER: #1273

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Length: 12.9"
Diameter: 2.6"
Span:
Weight: 3.0 oz

Mfg. Description:

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

estes-fat%20boy%201273-facecard.jpg

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Polecat Fat Man (5.5) (#13) Basic Information.

polecat_aerospace.gif
Polecat Aerospace

MODEL NAME: 5.5" Fat Man Also known as:

NUMBER: #13

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport, Upscale
Motor Mount: 1x54mm
Length: 27"
Diameter: 5.5"
Span:
Weight: 4.5 pounds

Mfg. Description: The little rocket that packs the big punch! Small in size but very versatile. The Fat Man has a 54mm motor mount and flys on motors from G through K impulse.

The Fat Man is a very easy build and a solid flyer. Go for the slow lift-off with a G80 or let it rip with a K1100. Able to support L1 and L2 certifications the Fat Man is a super rocket for beginner and expert alike! (Polecat 2011 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

polecat-fat%20man%205.5%2013-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
What's Up Hobby 2011 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
I just finished a 63% downscale based on a Baby Bertha Nose Cone. Stickers are from StickerShock.

10 Decals.jpg

12 Next toHigh Power FatBoy.jpg

Family Portrait.jpg

What's with the 1B-like thing in the background? It intrigues me.

Is that the Polecat 10" or a scratch build?

It's a polecat kit. I heard he found this awesome guy who makes decals specifically for rockets! :y:

He also flew it on a big 98mm Skidmark M, but I'll let him handle that post...

Braden

What's with the 1B-like thing in the background? It intrigues me.

David... That is a FatBoy kitbash that I built with a 24mm motor mount. I sawed the tip off the Nose Cone and glued on an Apollo Capsule and Escape Tower from Apogee. I also added some homemade retro rocket housings, vector control housings, discharge tubes, service tunnels, corrugation and custom decals to it. There are some closer pictures of it on this thread in Post #11.

Finally finished my Fat Boy.

Took 30 oz of nose-weight to deliver a 1.14 stability margin with a J315R.

Had a false start with the first can of red paint, the colour on the cap looked nothing like the colour on the rocket. Sanded back and switched to Tamiya Metallic Red which looks close to the original colour on the packaging card.

Stickershock decals were well made and easy to apply.

Can't wait to launch in a month or so when fire season finishes here in southern Australia.

fatman.jpg

Spot the difference between this photo and the previous one.

And I'm not talking about the background.......

Luckily I know I am an idiot and ordered two sets accordingly.

fatman take 2.jpg

Very nice job, Bourney!! I spotted the difference right away but I think both vesions look great. Good luck with your launch and don't forget to post pictures.

This was built a few years back. It's flown twice. Damaged a landing pod once, but it was easily repaired. Internally, it is stock.

XFB.jpg

Cool vignette! I like the spaceship-i-fication of the Fat Boy—nice details. The whole photo, with the launch pad, looks like a scene from "Thunderbirds."

Great work. That must have been a lot of fun to build.

Cool vignette! I like the spaceship-i-fication of the Fat Boy—nice details. The whole photo, with the launch pad, looks like a scene from "Thunderbirds."

Great work. That must have been a lot of fun to build.
Yeah both were fun to build. I'm thinking of doing a steampunk version of Big Daddy along the same lines.

The launch pad was designed to be functional as well as fun-looking. The tower is on tracks and can be moved to accommodate different diameter rockets. There used to be a radar dish on top, but that got lost. Then one day a friends rocket jammed on the rod and the heat from the motor melted a lot of the plastic detail around the base. The pad still worked, but it didn't look as nice, so I retired it.

Polecat (10") Fat Man (#10) Basic Information.

polecat_aerospace.gif
Polecat Aerospace

MODEL NAME: 10" Fat Man Also known as:

NUMBER: #10

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport, Upscale
Motor Mount: 1x98mm
Length: 51"
Diameter: 10"
Span:
Weight: 15.5 lbs

Mfg. Description: Turn some heads at the flying field! This rocket is the perfect size. Easy to transport and store, but capable for L3 action up to a full M.

This kit has a unique dual-deployment system that uses a zipper-less design and a piston-ejection system for the main. No more popping the main at apogee because of too much charge. The main is secured in the upper section of the extended motor tube and ejected firmly with a piston.

The Fat Man 10 has a 98mm motor mount and flys on motors from I through M impulse. The Fat Man is a very easy build and a solid flyer. Able to support L1, 2, and 3 certifications the Fat Man is a super rocket for beginner and expert alike!

Note: Despite what most simulations programs predict, this kit will NOT require any nose weight if build per the instructions, even on an M!

Specifications:

Height 51"
Diameter 10"
Motor mount 98mm
Dry weight 15.5 pounds
Motors "I" through "M" impulse
Parachute 70" to 96" (not provided) (What's Up Hobbies 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

polecat-%2010%20fat%20man%2010-2012%20web.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

polecat-%2010%20fat%20man%2010-instr%201.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
The stable half is into short n' fat, so I gave her a Fat Boy for xmas last year. She finally built it recently, one of our cats was the inspiration. Striking resemblance if I do say so myself. Paint by Dupli-color, vinyl by Stickershock.
PIC_2719.jpgPIC_2718.jpg

Fat Cat... Nicely done, Chadrog!

I flew my 5.5" Polcat Fat Man again today on an Aerotech I218 Redline...

Frntnc0604.jpg

Frntnc0605.jpg

Frntnc0606.jpg

Frntnc0642.jpg

Fat Cat... Nicely done, Chadrog!

I flew my 5.5" Polcat Fat Man again today on an Aerotech I218 Redline...

Thanks and back at ya'! I'll pass the compliments on to their rightful owner. Love your liftoff shots.

Here are my two FatBoys. They are the minions from the movie Despicable Me.

Minion0003[1].jpg

Attachments

• Minion0004.jpg
    Minion0004.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 161
Wow there are some great interpretations of the Fat Boy form on here... I think I might just have to get on that "Steampunk" version... I've always thought a rocket would look great in that style...

New Fat Boy scratch build. OD Green on the BT, Metallic Red on the nose cone. Decal is from Excelsior.

9FFB1F70-F3F9-4C63-9F20-5A54E079FD32-9878-000005CB4195088F.jpg

Back