DynaStar - Snarky (#05030) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHamel

Reaction score
One of my favorites being launched on an E18.

Snarky.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Keith,

Was that launch @CMASS this past W/E?
Check out the flag, no wind?

Daniel

I am a scratch builder and would love to get a scan of the stickers that went on the Snarky. Anybody have one?

Finally done. There is a build thread in MPR

Attachments

• sn1.jpg
    sn1.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 109
  • sn2.jpg
    sn2.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 110
  • sn4.jpg
    sn4.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 102
Mine when it was finished (quite a while ago) before any flights.

4345b4f3.jpg

de6445b1.jpg

It's been a couple months since I've had some free time to work on micros. Tied myself up reworking a bunch of Night Launch vehicles and club night launch support items for September 24th. Keeping everything I have two of crossed the weather cooperates for this coming Saturday.

With most of those things out of the way, I got back to working on a pretty nifty DownScale....Snarky. It's been on the boards for a couple years. had a time trying to decide what size would give the best balance between size and flying. T3 or T4 seemed the most likely candidates for the major body & Scoop parts. I must say getting the scoop Angle cutting & opeing guides for this small tube was kind of fun. The cutting proved to be challanging but doable.
Basswood was used for all wing & fins. To keep everything as light as possible these were 1/32" thick and tissued for strength. A stock NCB-3AD fliskit nosecone was hollowed out assuming some nose weight would be required as some point. I'm happy to report the model sims to fly without any additional mass. we'll see after the first flight.
Something I did not see (I've never owned a Snarky) was the tiny dorsal scoop fin. Thanks for the Heads up & help with dimensions Keith! This on was added using .005" waferglass (super thin G-10) just to keep it as thin and low mass as possible.
Motor mount shockcord mount is a standard 1" T2+ with two T3/T2+ fibreboard centering rings with beading wire/90lb kevlar Shockline and 1/2"x 9" Green Teflon permanent wadding/streamer. I've allowed the MMT to extend 1/8" from the rear which changes the exterior profile slightly to allow both internal and external friction fitting of the motor. I don't think this minor alteration will adversely effect the look of the model.

To add an experiment to this models Decal sheet. once recreated in CorelDraw-13, they were printed on inkjet Micro-Mark clear decal paper. After printing first coated with Krylon workable Fixatif #1306 then given a single wet coat of Krylon UV resistant Gloss Clear #1305. This test was to see if the water resistance of this process & durabright ink would keep the decal colors from running if trimmed very close to the actual printed lines. I've instantly destroyed other decals by doing this. It seems the Fixatif seals these water resistant Epson Durabright inks even better then Gloss clear as not turned muddy brown while soaking in warm to room temperature water. I still recomment extreme care be taken using inkjet produced waterslide decals by leaving a bit of margin around entire decal images but in this experiment several of these "Printed line edges" were cut without damage.

So heres the next member of the MMWW Fleet. T3 Snarky.
Sorry for the fuzzy pics I'll try to get some better ones.

Post copied with permission

Attachments

• MM 380p01a_T3 Snarky Topleft_09-15-11.JPG
    MM 380p01a_T3 Snarky Topleft_09-15-11.JPG
    250.3 KB · Views: 106
  • MM 380p01b_T3 Snarky Bottomright_09-15-11.JPG
    MM 380p01b_T3 Snarky Bottomright_09-15-11.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 109
  • MM 380uc04_.032in tissued basswood wing&fins_08-16-11.JPG
    MM 380uc04_.032in tissued basswood wing&fins_08-16-11.JPG
    279 KB · Views: 125
  • MM 380uc05_Wings & Fins glued_08-16-11.JPG
    MM 380uc05_Wings & Fins glued_08-16-11.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 139
  • MM 380uc13_CluoseUp .005 Waferglass scoop fin_09-15-11.JPG
    MM 380uc13_CluoseUp .005 Waferglass scoop fin_09-15-11.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 110
Welcome to the DynaStar - Snarky (#05030) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the DynaStar - Snarky (#05030) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

DynaStar: Snarky: #05030
McCoy's Micro Wonder Works: (DynaStar) T3 Snarky: #380

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
DynaStar Snarky (#05030) Basic Information.

dynastar.gif
DynaStar Mid-Power Model Rockets

MODEL NAME: Snarky

NUMBER: #05030

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer: Shrox

Type: Pseudo Scale
Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 28.5" (72.4 cm)
Diameter: 2.217" (56.3 mm)
Span:
Weight: 6.3 oz (180 gm)

Mfg. Description: The Snarky rocket is a very distinctive rocket kit. It was designed by Shrox, which explains why it has a unique shape. It looks more like an airplane than it does a missile. But don't let that fool you. It is fully rocket-powered, and it is big! This unique combination is definitely something that will get you noticed at your next rocket launch.

The Snarky is designed to look like an Air Force target drone. That means its purpose is to mimic the flight of enemy airplanes, so that the Air Force can practice intercepting it. But this isn't a scale model. We designed it just for kicks, and to show you how much fun you really can have with model rocketry.

The air-scoop on the bottom of the model is just one thing that makes this rocket kit unusual. No other rocket kit has one like this. And it actually helps stabilize the rocket; you'll find that it flies straight as an arrow on every single launch.

Besides the air scoop, the fins are asymmetric. That means they aren't equally spaced around the rocket like they are on other kits. The combination of the scoop and the asymmetric. fins, plus the large size of this kit is what makes it stand out amongst all the other rockets at the flying range.

Besides the cool design, the model is accented by lots of colorful pressure-sensitive decals. Without the teeth, this rocket wouldn't look so mean, would it? (Apogee 2011 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

dynastar-snarky-2009%20apogee%20livery.jpg
Apogee 2009 Web Ad
dynastar-snarky-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
DynaStar 2011 Web Ad

Face Card

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
MMWW (DynaStar) T3 Snarky (#380) Basic Information.

MMWW.gif
McCoy's Micro Wonder Works (MMWW)

MODEL NAME: T3 Snarky

NUMBER: #380

Introduced: 2011
Final Year:
Designer: Shrox, John McCoy

Type: Pseudo-Scale, Downscale
Motor Mount: 1x6mm
Recovery: Streamer
Stages: 1
Length: 4.547"
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: 3.533x Downscale (Plan)

Advertising Liveries

mmww-t3%20snarky-plan%20livery.jpg
Plan Image

Face Card

mmww-t3%20snarky-facecard.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Tonight I'm posting the Shrox rockets - ok, shrockets - with an airplane theme. The Snarky is one that I had been wanting a long time, and was one that nudged me toward going overboard with the Shrox designs.
View attachment 114371
As I have hinted - somewhat less than subtly - I cloned this one even though I bought it from Apogee. I mean - scratch building is the coolest building, but if it's for sale, buy it and support the industry.

I made this one from basswood, as I did most of the scratch built rockets. I also made the decals from my laser printer. I love this design - so snarky!

Copied to gallery with permission

Attachments

• Snarky.JPG
    Snarky.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 221
I'm having trouble with seeing the image of the T3 micromaxx well enough to view details
Can you send me a high resolution picture? My email is [email protected] Thank you and its a really cool rocket

Back