SCALE - AQM-37 Jayhawk Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The convenience of these models looks terrific. Just pop in an engine and go. It looks like it doesn't require a big field either. Of course, you need to know what you are doing on building and flying.

True, but it is so fast a turnaround you blow a lot more $$ on motors:)

The convenience of these models looks terrific. Just pop in an engine and go. It looks like it doesn't require a big field either. Of course, you need to know what you are doing on building and flying.

Here are couple of pics of a Centuri Jayhawk built back in the early 70's. It was originally painted all black and was handed down to me in the mid-80s. Pulled it out of my parents' basement this summer and decided to restore it and give it a new paint job. Used a PDF file for the decals found on Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe's "Kurts Decal Page" https://www.rocketshoppe.com/decals.htm Although that print-out may have been for a later "white" paint version from the late-70s (?) it still worked great with Testors Decal Paper on my ink-jet printer. These decals actually have a blue tint to them vice a black one but still show up well. Great launch for a 40+yr old rocket - no problems!

Jayhawk (KF-11).jpgJayhawk launch pad (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Rocket, always liked the Centuri stuff. I like the (Retro) lantern battery, that is what I started out with.

Nice Rocket, always liked the Centuri stuff. I like the (Retro) lantern battery, that is what I started out with.

Yeah I couldn't believe they still sold them when I picked it up at the hardware store this summer :).

Centuri Jayhawk (KF-1 or #5171) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

MODEL NAME: Jayhawk Also known as:

NUMBER: KF-1 or #5171

Introduced: 1973
Final Year: 1982
Designer:

Type: Scale
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 12.6"
Diameter: 0.91"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: Semi-Scale "AQM-37A"
Styled after the U.S. Navy target drone with terrific realism! Includes 3-color decals, pre-cut fibre fins, molded nose cone and parachute. (Centuri 1973 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

centuri-jayhawk%20kf1-1973%20cat.jpg
1973 Catalog

Face Card(s)

centuri-jayhawk%20kf1-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

centuri-jayhawk%20kf1-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Hi Chris, Long time no see. Thanks for your post on Facebook. Your Jayhawk model looks Very good! That Orange looks just right. How is the decal set
with that kit? I am building my next Jayhawk for NARAM 58 (next July). The event is E Scale Altitude (w/ Altimeter). I chose 1/8 Scale, so the model is
1.63 in. Diam. (LOC tube) and will be 18.86 in. long. It will fly with an Aerotech E 15-W7 w/ 2.6 sec. thrust. I expect that this will go over the top and
"Skip Glide" (nose down, nose up, repeat) for a second or two. That's when I will shout out, "Evasive maneuver, Mission Points, just like the Real Deal"!!!
That is what my first Jayhawk model did in 1970 at a NAR Regional, So. Cal. It flew a C 6-5 which should have been a C 6-3 to eject at peak. First Place!
This time I will be flying a "boiler plate" model (same size, shape, w/ No decals) a few months before on a D 12-7. This year that event Has Mission Points!
I built the Pitot Tube hollow, so the Air will be pushed in on top of the Altimeter Air sensor! My Scale packet will declare that for Mission Points as well as
the hinged & movable Elevons/Ailerons. They will be C.A. glued down for flight. The theory behind the "Skip Glide" is that is what Canard (nose fins) will do
for any aircraft that has them. I will be researching the Rutan Vari-Eze to see if they mention this effect. How about e-mailing? [email protected] Your Old Friend, Doug Frost, NAR #3446

EXPjawa, That looks like your excellent model building skills were put to the test! Any chance you might be going to NARAM-58 in Missouri, in July?
I will be there with my 5th Jayhawk in competition. This time it is E Scale Altitude w/ Altimeter. I chose a 1/8 Scale, scratch built, 1.63 in. by 18.86 in.
It will fly on an Aerotech E 15-W7 with 2.6 sec. thrust. I really like the Orange you chose and the high gloss clear overcoat too! Good work! I suggest
that you fly it Only one time, get a great take off photo too. Then maybe start on your next Jayhawk. They only get better each time.
e-mail me: [email protected] Doug Frost, NAR #3446

I visited Missile Park near Point Magu, near Pismo Beech in Southern California, last May 28th, 2015. They have a Full size Jayhawk, AQM 37A on display
outside. Look up The Ventura County Naval Air Station on Google maps and check out the Satellite photo. I called down there before the trip to be certain
that it was there. It seems to be a recent display, early 2015. I recommend that you attach a six inch ruler to this Target Drone so it shows up in your
photos. You use the ruler in your photos to measure the details. I took measurements of the three hatches (two on nose cone, one on tail cone). None of the blueprints I had from Beech and the NAR had accurate measurements of those hatches. The curved lines that go around the body needed to be measured on the real rocket. There are many other rockets and missiles there as well. This made for an excellent field trip. I highly recommend the trip. I will post photos when I figure out how.
Best Wishes, Doug Frost, NAR #3446

Last edited:
EXPjawa, That looks like your excellent model building skills were put to the test! ... I really like the Orange you chose and the high gloss clear overcoat too! Good work! I suggest
that you fly it Only one time, get a great take off photo too. Then maybe start on your next Jayhawk. They only get better each time.
e-mail me: [email protected] Doug Frost, NAR #3446
Doug, thanks for saying so, the paint is actually the same (non-scale) crimson red I used on my Der V-3 family. Not for nothing, but that model is over 20 years old; it has a bunch of flights (and repairs) on it. Taken this past summer at LDRS34:

19144327048_3460be5099_b.jpg

Paul,
Your workmanship looks really good. Have you ever flown rockets in NAR contests? You should give it a try if not already. Will you be able to attend
the NAR Annual Meet, July 23-29 in Missouri? I will be flying my fifth contest Jayhawk there in E Scale Altitude w/ altimeter. I am finally getting back to
building Jayhawks. My last one won Second in Scale at NARAM-19 in 1977. I helped Centuri Engineering with my Scale Data in 1980 as we built the proto-
type for their 1/5th Scale Jayhawk kit. I appreciate that you like the Jayhawk enough to build an excellent model. I suggest, fly it one time, get a great
lift-off photo, then retire it in your model display room. I flew mine Twice, second at a Regional Contest, it crashed. No Jayhawk models since 1977. So,
this time I will follow my own advice and retire it after NARAM-58. Next Jayhawk: 4 in. Diam. by 46.3 in. & Radio-Controlled down to 300 ft. & eject 'chutes!
We can swap more info. at: [email protected] Keep up the Good Work! Your new friend, Doug Frost, NAR #3446

I got back from NARAM-58. My 1/8th Scale Jayhawk was in First Place in Scale judging. I have a Jayhawk Scale Data Pkg. with ALL the Decals that cost me
$1500 to produce. I am making it available for a fraction of that. E-mail me at: [email protected] or call me 530-320-1863. I helped Centuri
produce their Jayhawk kit in 1980. Best Wishes, Doug Frost, NAR #3446

I got back from NARAM-58. My 1/8th Scale Jayhawk was in First Place after the Scale judging. I have a Jayhawk Scale Data Package I am providing with All
the Decals. You can E-mail me at: [email protected] or call me at: 530-320-1863, 12 Noon to 6PM EST. I will try to post photos here.

Attachments

• Scale Altitude Doug Frost Jayhawk IMG_6079.jpg
    Scale Altitude Doug Frost Jayhawk IMG_6079.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 130
  • Scale Altitude Doug Frost Jayhawk IMG_6073 (1).jpg
    Scale Altitude Doug Frost Jayhawk IMG_6073 (1).jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Jayhawk Data Pkg.jpg
    Jayhawk Data Pkg.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
I got back from NARAM-58 in July. My Jayhawk was in First Place after Scale Judging. I am providing Scale Data Packages, see photos. Zoom in to see details. My Jayhawk Kits will be available at NARCON '17 in Feb. near Wash. D.C. You can build them too! I will help you. Doug Frost, NAR #3446

JH Data Pkg. 3.jpg

JH at NARAM.jpg

My Jayhawk was in First Place after Scale Judging at the NARAM , July 2016. I am providing Scale Data Packages, see Frost Rocketry online. My Jayhawk Kits will be available at NARCON in Feb. near Wash. D.C. You can build ANY Size Jayhawk You want with this Data Package. I will teach you how. Contact me thru Frost Rocketry.com online. Doug Frost, NAR #3446 (since 1961).

JH at NARAM.jpg

JH Data Pkg. 3.jpg

Scale Altitude Doug Frost Jayhawk IMG_6073 (1).jpg

Jayhawk Launch Team, Midwest Power 8, 30 Oct 2010

(* edit - wind scrubbed launch at LDRS, rescheduled for MWP9 in Oct 2011)

:)

Did this also fly at the last MWP or the time before? I saw a large one fly there that had a single drogue and then the sweetest release of 3 main parachutes that was really cool. Announcer made a comment that folks were in for a real treat with the
flight and he was right about that. Kurt

20200204_212747.jpg

l to r: Madcow, Madcow Mini, Rocketarium (older version), Starlight semi-scale.
Estes Pro Series clone and Sandpiper in the build pile.
Only the Rocketarium has the conduit on the belly.
Newer version has 3D printed scale parts.

Here's my Madcow kit. Would like to get another some day and change up the paint and maybe go with some decals from Stickershock.

Attachments

• 5ab05dd9334c4e7ea98e99ad42b5b6e9.jpeg
    5ab05dd9334c4e7ea98e99ad42b5b6e9.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 8be1c69b42ea4b418502bc417ecaa9f4.jpeg
    8be1c69b42ea4b418502bc417ecaa9f4.jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 674de0a99142490986737e245e1b6974.jpeg
    674de0a99142490986737e245e1b6974.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 1183aa9db0284e3ab3ec780dbcb5fd3e.jpeg
    1183aa9db0284e3ab3ec780dbcb5fd3e.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 53006104ba0347ffbc6c1113d2b66078.jpeg
    53006104ba0347ffbc6c1113d2b66078.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 11
I remember talking to my brother and told him I was building a kit of the Jay-Hawk and he replied "I used to work on the real ones" I think he worked on the guidance systems? Not sure but that is my guess?

Just completed my Pro Series kit, which I bought new in the 90's, just before taking a 25 year hiatus from the hobby. The decals were a bit weak from the passage of time, so I substituted about 90% of them with my own recreations. I added the missing pitot tube, fashioning it from balsa. I also made the aircraft ID plate using metallic Monokote with an overlaid custom decal. I used carbon fiber rod for the antenna. The rest is pretty stock - painted with ACE Premium Enamel spray.

Attachments

• PSJ1.jpg
    PSJ1.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 8
  • PSJ2.jpg
    PSJ2.jpg
    585.8 KB · Views: 8
  • PSJ3.jpg
    PSJ3.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 6
  • PSJ4.jpg
    PSJ4.jpg