SCALE - AQM-37 Jayhawk Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
I have several versions of the Jay Hawk sitting in packages but the only built one I have is from Starlight Rocketry. It is a semi scale that's just over a foot long. It went together fairly easily and came out looking good, at least compared to a lot of my projects.

The build thread is located here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=5849

Various photo albums of the build, repairs and flights can be found on my Flikr site in this gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/collections/72157622256798846/

JH-done-1.jpg

JH-done-2.jpg

done.jpg

JF-f2c.jpg

JH-f1b.jpg

Last edited:
===========MOD EDIT================
I thought that this was a cool example of what can happen in this section. This is not a "scale" model but is definitely based on a scale model. It is creative and it is good to look at. I copied it from its original thread.
==================================

I have a collection of Jayhawks, and the ACME Spitfire seemed a perfect body to "Jayhawk-ize". Thanks, Jim.

Attachments

• quarter view.jpg
    quarter view.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 136
  • opposing quarter view.jpg
    opposing quarter view.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 110
  • flight #1.jpg
    flight #1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 139
  • flight #2.jpg
    flight #2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 110
Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my Madcow version. More on EMRR, including flight reports.

esl 148 020 (Large).jpg

Here is mine.

JayHawk.jpg

Mine is a Tiny 42.7 Scale ASP Kit Jayhawk. flys quite well but impossible to catch off the pad:( Talk about a neck jurker!

MM 263lp02_MM Jayhawk on Pad_10-21-06.jpg

I actually didn't start this thread, but I'll add to it... here are the rest of my Jayhawks. Some are odd rocs, some are scale. Three are kits (2.6" Madcow, 4.0" and 5.5" Polecat), the rest are scratch built. The biggest one flew at Midwest Power 8 on 30 Oct 2010, and will again at LDRS in Argonia, Sep 2011. Her build thread is here...

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=9044

Edit - updated family photo after finishing JayCoke Zero in Aug 2011

JayHawk family photo 3.jpg

Attachments

• Hershey's Strawberry Syrup JayHawk, I161-W .jpeg
    Hershey's Strawberry Syrup JayHawk, I161-W .jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 142
  • Crayola JayHawk, I245-G.jpeg
    Crayola JayHawk, I245-G.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_8200.jpg
    IMG_8200.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Here is my 4" Polecat fiberglass Jayhawk.Added some details and the long BT & nosecone that runs along the bottom of the missile/drone.

Decals are mostly homemade along with monokote and pin stripes.

Wish the pictures were better.

Paul

phpX5dnrbAM.jpg

phpTsCDgwAM.jpg

phplV45DDAM.jpg

phpkIjpXNAM.jpg

phphyrlYhAM.jpg

The 10" diameter Jayhawk flew at Midwest Power 8 on 30 Oct 2010, and will again at LDRS in Argonia, Sep 2011. *

Jayhawk Launch Team, Midwest Power 8, 30 Oct 2010

(* edit - wind scrubbed launch at LDRS, rescheduled for MWP9 in Oct 2011)

:)

Team Jayhawk 2010.jpg

Jayhawk flight 1.jpg

Jayhawk at MWP.jpg

Last edited:
Original Centuri Magnum Jayhawk

P1010032.jpg

P1010030.jpg

P1010029.jpg

This is my clone of the Centuri Magnum Jayhawk. I did stretch it just a little to improve stability ( bad landshark with an Estes ProSeries Jayhawk). Flew great on an Aerotech E20.

Jayhawk.jpg

My son Brandon Gross' "Star Light - Jayhawk". Signed by the Gates Brothers at LDRS 27 in Potter New York.

DSCF0059_edited (2).jpg

I just finished my fifteenth Jayhawk, using a giant recycling container as a starting point. (A lot of my Jayhawks are oddrocs). The build thead is here...

JayCoke Zero...

:)

Trashcan 1.jpg

IMG_6852.jpg

Attachments

• Pepsi bottle.jpg
    Pepsi bottle.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Screen shot 2010-11-29 at 11.58.10 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-11-29 at 11.58.10 PM.png
    48.3 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
I just finished up the build of the ASP Micro Jayhawk on my building blog at:

https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/search/label/Jayhawk
The entire build thread is listed in reverse order at this address.
This address is only for the complete Jayhawk build. Click on "Home" to access all the other tips and model builds.

Great (small!) kit with a few surprises and new materials along the way.
I'll get it in the air in the next few days.

Attachments

• JayHawk e 004_WEB.jpg
    JayHawk e 004_WEB.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 82
I build my Madcow 2.6" Jayawk in early December, but only recently got around to paint and decals.

Still waiting to fly it. Hopefully next Saturday at Great Meadow I'll be able to launch it.

G.D.

Jayhawk1.jpg

How about another goonie. :cyclops: The goonie Jayhawk. When I resized the
Jayhawk decals I made them the wrong size. :blush: I didn't notice until it was
time to put them on. But hey, it's a goonie, things a supposed to be "off".

post copied to gallery with permission

goonhawk (Large).jpg

goonhawkpad (Large).jpg

goonhawklaunch (Large).jpg

ghawkchute1 (Large).jpg

Welcome to the Scale AQM 37 Jayhawk Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the AQM 37 Jayhawk target drone and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Aerospace Specialty Products (ASP): Micro Jayhawk
Centuri: Jayhawk: KF-1 or #5171
Centuri: Magnum D Jayhawk: 5342
Estes: Pro Series Jayhawk: 2085
Madcow: Jay Hawk AQM 37A: K-109
Polecat Aerospace: AQM 37 Jayhawk (4"): #21
Rocket R&D: Jayhawk (2.6"):
Rocket R&D: Jayhawk (3.9"):
Starlight: Jay Hawk: MR4353

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even a Goonie qualifies!

In 1959, the US Navy and US Air Force issued a joint request for a new high-speed expendable target. Beechcraft won the competition, and the result was a small delta-winged drone with wingtip fins and a liquid rocket motor, originally designated XKD2B-1 but now known as the AQM-37. The type first flew in May 1961, entered service with the US Navy in 1963, and remains in service.

The original version was the AQM-37A or Beech Model 1019. The AQM-37A was followed by a confusing list of subvariants, some of which were new production, others which were modifications of existing AQM-37s. These variants were intended to simulate different classes of threats, such as sea-skimming antiship missiles or high-altitude naval attack missiles, or provide better performance. One high-performance variant with improved thermal protection attained a speed of Mach 4.7 and an altitude of over 112,000 feet (34 kilometers) on a ballistic trajectory. The final US Navy variant was designated AQM-37C.

After an evaluation of the AQM-37A in the late 1960s, the US Army bought a small initial batch of Model 1100/1101 AQM-37As that, unlike other variants, were recoverable, using a parachute system. Some of this batch were intended for low-altitude operation and fitted with a radar altimeter, and others were intended for high-altitude operation and had a barometric altimeter. The Army later ordered over 400 improved non-recoverable Model 1102 variants of the AQM-37A.

The USAF evaluated the AQM-37 in the early 1970s but was slow to adopt it. Records of USAF procurement of the type are sketchy, but it does seem to be currently part of the Air Force target inventory. Small quantities of AQM-37s were also sold to Italy, Israel, and France, while Britain bought several hundred of the type. The Meteor company of Italy built a number of AQM-37s under license.

All variants are air-launched, with the US Navy traditionally using the F-4 Phantom for the job and the British using the Canberra.

More than 5,000 AQM-37 targets of all variants have been delivered since the early 1960s. The AQM-37C/D is still in limited production for the U.S. Navy.

The AQM-37's engine is built by Rocketdyne, though in some sources it is credited to Harley Davidson, the motorcycle manufacturer, which appears to be due to a sequence of company buyouts. The engine uses "storable" liquid propellants, in contrast to cryogenic propellants like liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen that have to be loaded up just before launch lest they evaporate away. The problem is that the storable propellants in common use are corrosive, highly toxic, and "hypergolic", meaning that the propellants spontaneously ignite when mixed together. This tends to make them troublesome to deal with.

Last edited:
Aerospace Specialty Products (ASP) Micro Jayhawk Basic Information.

asp.gif
Aerospace Specialty Products (ASP)

Micro Jayhawk

NUMBER

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Scale
Recovery: Streamer
Stages: 1
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: DESC

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Starlight Jay Hawk (MN 4353) Basic Information.

starlight.gif
Starlight Model Rockets

Jay Hawk

MN 4353

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery:
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

starlight-jay%20hawk-2009%20web%20livery.jpg
Starlight 2009 Web ad

EMRR
RocketReviews

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Madcow Jay Hawk AQM 37A (K-109) Basic Information.

madcowrocketry.gif
Madcow Rocketry

Jay Hawk AQM 37A

K-109

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x29mm
Recovery: Parachute
Length: 30.75"
Diameter: 2.6"
Span:
Weight: 19 oz.

Mfg. Description: In the 1959, the US Navy and US Air Force issued a joint request for a new high-speed expendable target. Beechcraft won the competition, and the result was a small delta-winged drone with wingtip fins and a liquid rocket motor, originally designated XKD2B-1 but now known as the AQM-37. The type first flew in May 1961, entered service with the US Navy in 1963, and remains in service.

The original version was the AQM-37A or Beech Model 1019. The AQM-37A was followed by a confusing list of subvariants, some of which were new production, others which were modifications of existing AQM-37s. These variants were intended to simulate different classes of threats, such as sea-skimming antiship missiles or high-altitude naval attack missiles, or provide better performance. One high-performance variant with improved thermal protection attained a speed of Mach 4.7 and an altitude of over 112,000 feet (34 kilometers) on a ballistic trajectory. The final US Navy variant was designated AQM-37C.

More than 5,000 AQM-37 targets of all variants have been delivered since the early 1960s. The AQM-37C/D is still in limited production for the U.S. Navy.

madcow-jayhawk-2007%20web%20livery.jpg
Madcow 2007 Web ad

madcow-jayhawk-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
Madcow 2011 Web ad

madcow-jayhawk-facecard.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Estes Pro Series Jayhawk (#2085) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industies

Pro Series Jayhawk, Jayhawk

Introduced: 1993
Final Year: 1996
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description:

estes-jayhawk-93%20cat%20livery.jpg
1993 Estes Catalog

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Polecat Aerospace 4" AQM 37 Jayhawk (#21) Basic Information.

polecat_aerospace.gif
Polecat Aerospace

4" AQM 37 Jayhawk

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: `1x38mm
Length: 47"
Diameter: 4"
Span:
Weight: 3.5 lbs.

Mfg. Description: In the 1959, the Navy and Air Force issued a joint request for a new high-speed expendable target. Beechcraft won the competition, and the result was a small delta-winged drone with wingtip fins and a liquid rocket motor, originally designated XKD2B-1 but now known as the AQM-37. The type first flew in 1961, then entered service with the US Navy in 1963, and remains in service.

The original version was the AQM-37A or Beech Model 1019. There were several variants of the AQM-37 over the years. One high-performance variant with improved thermal protection attained a speed of Mach 4.7 and an altitude of over 112,000 feet (34 kilometers) on a ballistic trajectory. The final US Navy variant was designated AQM-37C. All variants are air-launched, with the US Navy traditionally using the F4 Phantom for the job.

More than 5,000 AQM-37 targets of all variants have been delivered since the early 1960s. The AQM-37C/D is still in limited production for the Navy.

The AQM-37's engine is built by Rocketdyne, though in some sources it is credited to Harley Davidson, the motorcycle manufacturer, which appears to be due to a sequence of company buyouts. The engine uses "storable" liquid propellants, in contrast to cryogenic propellants like liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen that have to be loaded up just before launch lest they evaporate away. The problem is that the storable propellants in common use are corrosive, highly toxic, and "hypergolic", meaning that the propellants spontaneously ignite when mixed together.

This scale model if the AQM-37 offers a unique look and solid construction. With 1/4" baltic birch laser cut fins, through the wall fin design, a pre-cut mortise and tenon joint for the wingtips, laser-slotted fiberglassed body tube, and molded fiberglass nose cone and boat tail, the Jayhawk offers fast building, easy finishing, and great durability and performance.

The kit also features an upper slot in the body tube for a tab on the fin that makes assembly quick and easy, eliminating fin alignment issues for the longer fins. All fin leading edges are pre-beveled so a minimum of finish sanding is needed to get a great look.

Designed for H through J motors, the Hawk is a performs beautifully on L1 and L2 motors. The kit includes high-quality vinyl decals for a great finishing touch.

polecat-4in%20jayhawk-2010%20web%20livery.jpg
2010 Web ad

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Centuri Magnum D Jayhawk (5342) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

Magnum D Jayhawk

Introduced: 1980
Final Year: 1983
Designer: Chris Pocock and Doug Frost

Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Length: 30.4"
Span:
Weight: 3.5 lbs.

Mfg. Description: Spectacular 1/5 scale model of the U.S. Navy's AQM 37A target drone, probably the prettiest U.S. missile ever. This massive rocket is over 30" long...it's impressive on the pad and in the air. Fantastically detailed, a challenge to all modelers. Special features include a molded plastic nosecone, huge pre-cut balsa sheets, and 112 sq. inch decal sheet (almost a square foot!) printed in five bold colors. Magnum D power gives it quite a ride and two 20 inch parachutes bring it safely to earth, ready for another flight. Designed for the advanced model rocketeer, this kit is a model you'll be extra proud to display and fly.

centuri-mag%20d%20jayhawk-81%20cat%20livery.jpg
1981 Centuri Catalog
centuri-mag%20d%20jayhawk-82%20cat%20livery.jpg
1982 Centuri Catalog

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
my Madcow 2.6" model, waiting to fly.

Attachments

• mcjayhawk 001.jpg
    mcjayhawk 001.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 78
Rocket R&D Jayhawk (3.9") Basic Information.

rocket%20rnd%20trf.gif
Rocket R&D

MODEL NAME: Jayhawk (3.9") Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount:
Length: 50"
Diameter: 3.9"
Span:
Weight:

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
[Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Rocket R&D Jayhawk (2.6") Basic Information.

rocket%20rnd%20trf.gif
Rocket R&D

MODEL NAME: Jayhawk (2.6") Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount:
Length:
Span:
Weight:

Advertising Liveries

rocket%20rnd-jayhawk%20(2.6)-2004%20web.jpg
2004 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Back