Gallery Rules and Policy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JAL3

Reaction score
Welcome to the TRF Archetypal Gallery. The purpose of the gallery is to allow members to share their variations of popular kits. For example, there are lots of Fliskits ACME Spitfires out there and many of them have individualized decorative schemes. This is the place to show off your work and look for ideas. See what's been done so far. It is also an appropriate place to share your derivatives of popular kits.

Have you upscaled or downscaled something?
Have you changed a kit from the "as per directions" version into something uniquely your own?
Have you come up with a paint scheme for a 3FNC that is unique and proclaims you as the master artist?
Have you goonified a Hydra?
Have you cloned something that has long been out of production (OOP)?
Have you turned a Mosquito into a completely new creation that would horrify the original designer but would delight the rest of us?
If any of the above is true (along with other possible variations) then this is the place to show it off.

Since this forum is a bit different than the rest, we will have some special rules here.

1. Please makes posts as long as you like describing your rocket but this in NOT the place for a build thread. Go ahead and post a build thread too. We'd be delighted. You can place a link to the build thread in your gallery post but this is not the place to detail your build. Its the place to show the results.

2. Please post pictures. Lots of pictures! that's what this section is all about. We want to see it all.

3. Please upload your pictures for this section to TRF instead of using exterior links. We want people to be able to see these masterpieces for as long as TRF is around.

4. Each thread will be dedicated to one particular archetypal rocket and those directly derived from it. Please don't just show off your whole fleet in one place. Post them to the right thread.

5. Scale models will be treated a bit differently. Instead of having a thread for each manufacturer, each prototype will have its own thread. For example, Saturn IBs are available from a variety of manufacturers in a variety of scales. There are also some wonderful scratch built rockets out there. They would all be included in one thread.

6. The naming convention for new threads is to be thus: "[Manufacturer] [Model Name] Gallery". An example would be "Estes Der Red Max Gallery"

7. The naming convention for scale models is to be thus: "Scale [Prototype Name] Gallery. An example would be "Scale Nike Apache Gallery".

8. If you have a rocket you are proud of, even if it is not a common one, don't be afraid to start a new thread for it. The worst that can happen is that the thread moves down the line...but it might just inspire somebody someday.

9. The TRF staff will maintain a sticky indexing and giving links to all the various galleries.

10. This section will, of necessity, involve a great deal of subjective decision making. Please keep that in mind as the moderators attempt to keep things organized around here.

That's it. Now let's see your masterpieces! :D

A point of clarification:

The galleries are organized according to the original producer's name. That does not stop clones, rescales and kits made by others from being included.

For example, if somebody were to start a thread on the Semroc The Point, that would go under Centuri - The Point Gallery since that is the source for the design.

What we are looking for in here is variations on a theme.

Some may have noticed that some changes are underway in the gallery section. I say that because some have commented on the changes, some positive, a few negative: situation normal.

I am going to try to explain some of them and the criteria for the decisions being made. That will, hopefully, save me a little bit of time replying to individual queries. If I fail to address an issue, however, please DO feel free to contact me. I will explain as best I can.

Unless I say otherwise, most of what I say below applies to how specific rockets from particular manufacturers fit into the scheme of things. The special purpose galleries will be discussed later.

1. The galleries are set under a system of "Patriarchs". Under each patriarch will be at least one specific rocket. Often there will be more. The "Patriarchs" are the oldest examples I can find of a given type. Semroc's Baby Orion will not be a patriarch because it is based upon the old Centuri Orion. The Centuri Orion is then the patriarch unless and until somebody can show me an example that predates it. The patriarch header will be the first post of each gallery and will list the manufacturers, model names and product ID's included. If you find a gallery without such a header it can mean that I haven't gotten that far yet or that something slipped through the cracks. Please don't hesitate to tell me if you think I have missed something. FWIW, I am going down the list in order and Estes is taking a loooooooooong time. Many of the headers are made but not yet posted as I await related files to be uploaded to TRF.

2. Patriarchs are the heads of families. Some may contain only themselves in the family and others might include many rockets from many different manufacturers. Deciding what to include "in the family" is by its nature very subjective. In some instances a good case could be made for splitting off a member to become the patriarch of a new family. In other instances, there may be "lost" family members that I have failed to include...mainly because I was unaware of the relationship. I have decided that there are several "automatic" triggers to being included in a family. Clones, upscales and downscales become parts of the family automatically. You also get included in a family if the manufacturer specifically says that one product is derived from another. And, sad as some may be to hear it, goons are part of the family as well. Remember, the whole purpose of this section as established was to show variations upon particular themes. The case of the Estes Big Bertha provides a good example here. I thought the BB was about as Iconic as you could get. I learned, though, that the Bertha came after the Ranger. They look similar but was that enough? I then had the development and the rationale behind the development of both explained to me by Carl McLawhorn of Semroc. The Bertha became part of the Ranger family. Estes claimed to derive the Baby Bertha and the Mini Bertha from the Big Bertha so they all became a part of the Ranger family as well. Then Carl told me that the Semroc SLS Brighton really is a Ranger as well and the family grew some more. This does not include the Super and various clones. The Alphas have equally complicated stories.

3. Each family member will have a "Basic Information Sheet". These sheets should appear right behind the header post. The early ones are already posted. As I right this, I have about 150 more in a holding pattern waiting for some files to be uploaded (and I still have not made it through the first page of Estes). The sheets contain what the name implies: whatever basic information that I have been able to gather. I am also including, when able, catalog livery shots and face cards.

Later on, I will give an overview of the data contained and a hint of what else lies in the future. For now, I need to get back to contemplating the wayward members of the "Der Red Max" family...either that or I need some sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back