President Calls for Increase in Model Rocketry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think this president realizes if schools started teaching anything about aerospace science how much that would take away from teaching global warming science.

I don't think this president realizes if schools started teaching anything about aerospace science how much that would take away from teaching global warming science.

I don't see how a comment like that helps anything.

Without smiley's I have to assume you are serious.

I think it helps in pointing out that schools have been spending way too much time teaching the science of global warming - which we now know to be somewhat mythical or made up - while dedicating almost no time towards aerospace science. What is interesting to me in this topic is that it seems Obama is calling for a return to real science teaching which is going against the flow as we know Democrats are identified positively with environmental issues and his call for change would weaken that political influence they own. Right?

Last edited:
Ack! hold on hold on....

Please lets not go down that road.

PLEASE keep this on topic. He is the President of the USA. He implied model rocketry is good for America. Focus on that and how WE can help him promote the concept. Let's not swerve into oncoming mod traffic with opinions on scientific theories and political agenda.

I think it helps in pointing out that schools have been spending way too much time teaching the science of global warming - which we now know to be somewhat mythical or made up - while dedicating almost no time towards aerospace science. What is interesting to me in this topic is that it seems Obama is calling for a return to real science teaching which is going against the flow as we know Democrats are identified positively with environmental issues and his call for change would weaken that political influence they own. Right?

Could you back any of that up with references?

Not sure that I stepped on any toes but I think it's good he sort of called for a return to teaching real science - it doesn't fit with his political program but it's hopeful.

Not sure that I stepped on any toes but I think it's good he sort of called for a return to teaching real science - it doesn't fit with his political program but it's hopeful.

I'm not sure why this doesn't fit with his political agenda, when was the last time we had a President that didn't say they were the education President. I'm not sure why this matters, what matters is here is the President saying that tomorrows innovation starts with kids today learning math and science, the spark of yearning for knowledge can be ignited by a kid and a model rocket. So, what are you going to do about it?

Pontification isn't the answer (in my non pontificating opinion), use the 'words of the President' to talk to your kids teacher or school (or a neighborhood school if you don't have kids) to say how can we HELP our kids become the innovators the President is talking about. How can I HELP you do this? How do you HELP make this a priority.

Or, take this as a challenge to see how many sparks can YOU light by helping a kid build that model rocket and being there at, perhaps the instant the spark is lit. I have built rockets with over 100 kids and this year I am also working with TARC kids. I wonder how many of those kids will look back at the day they launched their first rocket when they graduate college or launch their first rocket with a child.

Or we can just complain about how things used to be.....

Sigh . . . :bang:

I don't give a rat's patooie about any of the politics.

The President of the United States said something positive about our hobby.

We should be VERY happy!!!

Sigh . . . :bang:

I don't give a rat's patooie about any of the politics.

The President of the United States said something positive about our hobby.

We should be VERY happy!!!

I actually smiled when I read about it - and I very seldom smile these days:D

I don't want to rain on the parade here but the title of this thread is just a little misleading. I read the entire speech, particularly the highlighted portion and I did not read anything to indicate the president directly called for "an increase in model rocketry." He did call for a much needed increase in efforts to raise emphasis on science studies and I can give him kudos for that.

Let's call the statement what it was; a nice, brief, mention of model rocketry.

:2:

Verna
www.vernarockets.com

I'm not sure why this doesn't fit with his political agenda, when was the last time we had a President that didn't say they were the education President. I'm not sure why this matters, what matters is here is the President saying that tomorrows innovation starts with kids today learning math and science, the spark of yearning for knowledge can be ignited by a kid and a model rocket. So, what are you going to do about it?

Pontification isn't the answer (in my non pontificating opinion), use the 'words of the President' to talk to your kids teacher or school (or a neighborhood school if you don't have kids) to say how can we HELP our kids become the innovators the President is talking about. How can I HELP you do this? How do you HELP make this a priority.

Or, take this as a challenge to see how many sparks can YOU light by helping a kid build that model rocket and being there at, perhaps the instant the spark is lit. I have built rockets with over 100 kids and this year I am also working with TARC kids. I wonder how many of those kids will look back at the day they launched their first rocket when they graduate college or launch their first rocket with a child.

Or we can just complain about how things used to be.....

Yeah, actually I founded and maintain a youth rocket club which is starting it's fourth year now. You can check my posts on the old TRF and see for yourself how passionate I am about youth rocketry. Thanks.

I don't want to rain on the parade here but the title of this thread is just a little misleading. I read the entire speech, particularly the highlighted portion and I did not read anything to indicate the president directly called for "an increase in model rocketry." He did call for a much needed increase in efforts to raise emphasis on science studies and I can give him kudos for that.

:2:

Verna
www.vernarockets.com

I'm glad that you broke the ice. It is a deceptive title. I am not sure why all the excitement. He is not endorsing model rockets, and it is a neutral statement designed to paint a picture of discovery. I wonder if the astronomy, math, and robotics forums are feeling the same exuberance of the president mentioning them as well.

Ditto. I don't think it warrants anything else other than..."Huh, that was cool"

Actually in the 2011 budget, NASA's budget is $19B vs $18.3 in 2010, plus there is an allocation for an additional $6B over the next 5 years.

Shutting down the Constellation program? Paying Russian cab drivers to take our astronauts to the ISS? Restore Science to her proper seat he says. Yeah, right.

I'll believe it when the words are backed up with subsidies to model rocketry programs, then again--maybe not.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
C'mon guys,

At least it was nice to see someone in the gov to mention
model rockets without 'homegrown terrorist' or 'rampant wildfire'
in the same sentence...

I was thinking that Obama's words would make a nice video promo like this

[YOUTUBE]aq3vNuHG9KY[/YOUTUBE]

Keep in mind that the launch video was shot with a cheap camera and that I don't know who the people in the video are so I don't exactly have permission to use pictures of them. This is just to illustrate the possibilities.

That's awesome!!! Thanks to President Obama for mentioning our hobby!

Guys it seems to me as if the OP was being a bit tongue in cheek when he titled the thread. I got a chuckle out of it and certainly was happy to see the President mention the hobby whether or not I agree with his politics.

Glenn

... I wonder if the astronomy, math, and robotics forums are feeling the same exuberance of the president mentioning them as well.
I'm sure the math forums are buzzing with excitement. After all, the title of the program is "Change The Equation", or CTEq for short. There is probably a big debate about what the president means by changing the equation. Maybe his advisers have come up with a new way to do math.

I'm glad that you broke the ice. It is a deceptive title. I am not sure why all the excitement. He is not endorsing model rockets, and it is a neutral statement designed to paint a picture of discovery. I wonder if the astronomy, math, and robotics forums are feeling the same exuberance of the president mentioning them as well.

I think the point is, when have you *ever* heard a president say anything about model rocketry?

Though, at this point, it is last week's news.

Shutting down the Constellation program? Paying Russian cab drivers to take our astronauts to the ISS? Restore Science to her proper seat he says. Yeah, right.

I'll believe it when the words are backed up with subsidies to model rocketry programs, then again--maybe not.:rolleyes:

Once again, it was Pres. Bush who created the situation where we would need "russian cab drivers" for at least a few years. 2014 was the *earliest* Constellation would've been ready for ISS transfers, and by the time Obama proposed the cancellation, it was probably slipping to '15. Space-X and others should be able to fill that function within a couple of years of that.

I think NASA's problems were brought on by themselves. They decided on an approach of re-inventing the wheel rather than evolving the current launch platforms by re-using shuttle components. The president's only choice was to shut down the development of such a costly mistake. I wouldn't pin the blame on Bush or Obama for this. The blame goes to NASA administration for this one.

Last edited:
I think NASA's problems were brought on by themselves. They decided on an approach of re-inventing the wheel rather than evolving the current launch platforms by re-using shuttle components. The president's only choice was to shut down the development of such a costly mistake. I wouldn't pin the blame on Bush or Obama for this. The blame goes to NASA administration for this one.

Indeed. I wasn't blaming Bush for the Shuttle cancellation. It is just a shame that they have the Detroit model of having to shut nearly everything down to completely retool for the next model, when retooling is measured almost in decades. At least the VAB can be reused and with four bays it can be in use while retooling.

So the concensus on this thread is that we like that the president mentioned model rocketry in his speech, and we want the federal government to be more involved in our hobby? Be careful what you wish for.:shock:

So the concensus on this thread is that we like that the president mentioned model rocketry in his speech, and we want the federal government to be more involved in our hobby? Be careful what you wish for.:shock:

I wouldn't have worded it quite that way. :D

I think that the idea is that we should "spin" this to our benefit just like the politicians do. We're not asking the president or anyone else to do more than they've already done. I'd just like to see NAR, TRA and anyone else get some mileage out of the comments that the president already made. Boosterdude's promo was sort of tongue-in-cheek but I would love to see NAR do something like that. Heck, there's no reason at all that AIA and TARC couldn't use the president's quote in some of their posters and stuff.

Every little bit helps...

BSA Troop 286, San Jose will be responding to the President by launching rockets tomorrow at NASA - Ames.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back