President Calls for Increase in Model Rocketry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's cool.

I was wondering if this is the first time an American President has mentioned model rocketry?

Hey, NOVAAR/NARHAMS, invite The President out to one of your launches.

This is an opening that needs to be jumped into quickly. Like, Trip or Ted needs to be calling the White House tomorrow. Otherwise, the window of opportunity will be quickly closed and they'll be onto another topic.

I just emailed the white house expressing gratitude and mentioned TARC as an educational program

edit--madsen's political commentary removed by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, 5 posts before someone went on a political rant.....things are improving

Drat!

The monthly NOVAAR sport launch is tomorrow!

No way O could get out to Great Meadow with that short notice....

Maybe October? Trip? Wil?

G.D.

With some creative editing this:

"Innovation isn’t born in the boardroom or on the factory floor. It starts when a boy builds a model rocket and watches it soar." President Obama 9/16/2010

would make a great caption for a photo of a kid flying a rocket on the NAR website.

Just got this copy from John Langford, longtime NAR member, CEO of Aurora Flight Sciences and US FAI Team manager.

Holy cow!

Direct link:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-pres...ident-announcement-change-equation-initiative

Additional info:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-pres...jor-expansion-educate-innovate-campaign-impro

I'm signed up for 2 days of volunteer work (for the 3rd year in a row) at a conference for kids and teachers in a neigboring county. https://www.myscienceeducation.com/ I work for Boeing and we have an office at the Air Reserve base nearby, so the management team at that office asked for support from the home office and a bunch of us take vacation days and staff several booths. They bring in a real flight simulator and let the kids give it a try. We also do a bunch of hands on activities.

Naturally, I have TARC rockets on display and give out a few hundred handouts. Last year I gave out 400 clinometers that they could assemble at home or back at class along with the associated simple worksheets for determining rocket altitude or building/tree/flagpole height. I included over a dozen model rocketry related links in one of the handouts. I gave teachers an extra set of info.

We also had widescreen computer monitors to play videos, so I had the Pentagon's TARC and AIA videos playing on my table.

https://www.ndep.us/Its-a-Blast

https://www.launchintoaerospace.org/resources/video.cfm

I'll be looking over some of the new videos this year to see if I can add something new to the mix.

Not to down play this, but we should be giving credit to the speechwriter. I highly doubt he writes his own speeches.

Not to down play this, but we should be giving credit to the speechwriter. I highly doubt he writes his own speeches.

Not to downplay that, but if it had been Geo. W. Bush giving the speech, would you have made that same distinction? A President (any President) makes a speech, the speech is credited to them, not their speechwriters.

Not to downplay that, but if it had been Geo. W. Bush giving the speech, would you have made that same distinction? A President (any President) makes a speech, the speech is credited to them, not their speechwriters.

I can credit some speechwriters. Can anybody else? Anybody? Bueller?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Stein

Alright, back to the actual topic now.

Everyone should be handing out TARC flyers at their launches.

Print them now and hand them out!

https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=yrsg...JMY7sKzPmc__Nq4skuge3G9BBkc6nLICbVdDg5-V8Cm7I=

The words 'Model Rocket' spoken by the President of the United States is a wonderful thing, no matter what side of the political aisle you may be on. The extra visibility in the media is wonderful.

The main point of the president's speech was to announce the "Change The Equation" initiative, which promotes education in science, technology, engineering and math -- https://www.changetheequation.org/ .

It was nice that he mentioned model rocketry, but he didn't exactly call for an increase in model rocketry.

The main point of the president's speech was to announce the "Change The Equation" initiative, which promotes education in science, technology, engineering and math -- https://www.changetheequation.org/ .

It was nice that he mentioned model rocketry, but he didn't exactly call for an increase in model rocketry.

yea, I was gonna mention that, but like Dragon_Rider10 said, the fact that he mentioned "model rocket" at all in a positive light is the main thing, and "an increase in model rocketry" could certainly be implied there :)

As far as crediting the speech writer, it doesn't really matter who wrote the speech. I'm sure the president reads and approves it before it's put up on the teleprompter. Of course, sometimes the president goes off script, which probably accounts for the statement "As well as -- and in addition, we’ve got -- and this is obviously the coolest thing -- ..." that was part of his speech.:)

We need to send kits to the kids in the White House! Who knows- it might help with some of the BATF issues;).

We need to send kits to the kids in the White House!
Just imagine- Instead of a hunt/roll, an Easter Egg LAUNCH on the White House Lawn!

TARC competitors invited for a press/photo op alongside DoD/NASA/Aerospace
leaders - demonstrating just how effective rocketry is for supporting and
encouraging STEM.

OK, the Secret Service will likely mandate a change of venue... But just think!

Just imagine- Instead of a hunt/roll, an Easter Egg LAUNCH on the White House Lawn!

OK, the Secret Service will likely mandate a change of venue... But just think!

Imagine.. There used to be launches on the Mall!
attachment.php

With some creative editing this:

"Innovation isn’t born in the boardroom or on the factory floor. It starts when a boy builds a model rocket and watches it soar." President Obama 9/16/2010

would make a great caption for a photo of a kid flying a rocket on the NAR website.

And other places as well. Like maybe next weekend at the Boeing Renton plant Family Day.....I'll have to see what I can whip up after I get home from Rolling Thunder.....

this is coming from the same president who is shutting down NASA? hmmmm

Maybe we could scare up more support for model rocketry if we started some stories about how far ahead the Russians are with their model rockets. I'm afraid there could be a model rocket GAP. We better send some recce satellites over their launch sites to find out. We better start building more model rockets, to catch up.

It worked before, it could work again...

Maybe we could scare up more support for model rocketry if we started some stories about how far ahead the Russians are with their model rockets. I'm afraid there could be a model rocket GAP. We better send some recce satellites over their launch sites to find out. We better start building more model rockets, to catch up.

It worked before, it could work again...

The Russians ARE ahead of us in the field of model rocketry. I've heard the Russian national anthem enough times over the past several years to confirm this fact.

James

The Russians ARE ahead of us in the field of model rocketry. I've heard the Russian national anthem enough times over the past several years to confirm this fact.

James

James,

They may be ahead of us in competition model rocketry but we've got em beat six ways to Sunday in sport Rocketry. We brought Bill Stine, Mary Roberts, and Matt Steele on our team. What'd they bring? Ivan and a big bottle of vodka. ;)

OK, it was a REALLY big bottle of vodka. :rolleyes:

But they still don't have any sport rocketry in Eastern Europe. In the words of that 15 year old kid from Croatia, eyes big as dinner plates, looking at the Estes catalog for the first time, asking Mary Roberts, "you mean you can buy THESE rockets?"

On a more serious note, I believe the manager of the U.S. Spacemodeling team was present at the president's speech.

Steve

this is coming from the same president who is shutting down NASA? hmmmm

Actually in the 2011 budget, NASA's budget is $19B vs $18.3 in 2010, plus there is an allocation for an additional $6B over the next 5 years.

I was thinking that Obama's words would make a nice video promo like this

[YOUTUBE]aq3vNuHG9KY[/YOUTUBE]

Keep in mind that the launch video was shot with a cheap camera and that I don't know who the people in the video are so I don't exactly have permission to use pictures of them. This is just to illustrate the possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back